Database Schemas and mix matching
I have a Windows machine running 13 Alpha 6 and an XBMCBuntu machine running 12.2. They share a MySQL server for their database. Last night I attempted to upgrade the Windows machine to Alpha 7 but it couldn't access the database because it could not upgrade said database from 75 to 76.

Firstly, why couldn't it? The XBMCBuntu machine was active and running, was it because the database was in use by another machine simultaneously? Should I successfully upgrade the database to 76, would this render the 12.2 XBMCBuntu machine unable to access the version 76 DB unless upgraded to 13 Alpha 7 or later as well?
you cannot mix frodo and gotham. You were just lucky that there were no DB changes till now.
If you want gotham, then you'll need to run it on both machines.
I understand and expected this answer. One question, Gotham was unable to upgrade the database from 75 to 76, was this likely because the Fordo install on the XBMCBuntu machine was accessing the database and prevented it from being upgrade? If so, when I upgrade both machines simultaneously, will I need to ensure only one machine is accessing the database at first to perform the upgrade?
What should happen is alpha 7 should make a copy of the 75 database and then upgrade the copy leaving the original 75 database intact. Most likely there is a problem in alpha 7 that prevents it from updating the database (assuming MySql permissions are correct) that would be why it is called an alpha. You can run multiple database versions but the various installs won't "share" them unless they use the same version, see here http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...s/Versions
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
(2013-09-02, 03:18)DJ_Izumi Wrote: I understand and expected this answer. One question, Gotham was unable to upgrade the database from 75 to 76, was this likely because the Fordo install on the XBMCBuntu machine was accessing the database and prevented it from being upgrade? If so, when I upgrade both machines simultaneously, will I need to ensure only one machine is accessing the database at first to perform the upgrade?

It's a bug. Others have mentioned XBMC not being able to upgrade a MySQL db from 75 to 76 as well.
Good to see people are using the alphas and testing the code...
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
So, bit of a bump, but how DO I go about upgrading my MySQL Database from 75 to 76? Wait for the bug to be fixed?
You can export a database as separate files saved alongside your media files. Then whenever you install a later release (for example Gotham as compared to Frodo), you simply need to redefine your sources again which will scrape as usual but instead of jumping to the internet your metadata will be extracted from your local .nfo and .jpg files. The added benefit of periodically exporting your database to separate files is that it is always simple to recover from a screwed up database Smile

Note i am assuming that exporting a database is always possible with either a local database setup or a shared database setup (as presented by a sql server). Is this a correct assumption to make Confused ?
(2013-09-08, 13:24)skylarking Wrote: You can export a database as separate files saved alongside your media files. Then whenever you install a later release (for example Gotham as compared to Frodo), you simply need to redefine your sources again which will scrape as usual but instead of jumping to the internet your metadata will be extracted from your local .nfo and .jpg files. The added benefit of periodically exporting your database to separate files is that it is always simple to recover from a screwed up database Smile

Note i am assuming that exporting a database is always possible with either a local database setup or a shared database setup (as presented by a sql server). Is this a correct assumption to make Confused ?

You are also assuming people want to clutter up their directories with nfo and jpg files.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-09-08, 13:46)nickr Wrote:
(2013-09-08, 13:24)skylarking Wrote: You can export a database as separate files saved alongside your media files. Then whenever you install a later release (for example Gotham as compared to Frodo), you simply need to redefine your sources again which will scrape as usual but instead of jumping to the internet your metadata will be extracted from your local .nfo and .jpg files. The added benefit of periodically exporting your database to separate files is that it is always simple to recover from a screwed up database Smile

You are also assuming people want to clutter up their directories with nfo and jpg files.

If you want to use MySQL then it's highly recommended. So much so that I changed our own MySQL (wiki) guide to only suggest that method. Believe me, I hate nfo clutter, but it's the safest way to go about a MySQL migration.
Good News!

They seemed to have sorted this bug out in Alpha 8 i just downloaded and tried it and it successfully made a copy of my database with items scanned it

So now i have two databases one being 75 which is for my Openelec Machine which is still using Frodo and 76 for my windows machine running Gotham Alpha 8 Smile

I would assume now anything i scan into either machine despite them running seperate databases i would assume it will sync over to the other so both are kept up-to-date

here is a direct link to it to save time if interested Smile

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/snapshots/win32/...alpha8.exe
(2013-10-12, 00:44)protocol77 Wrote: I would assume now anything i scan into either machine despite them running seperate databases i would assume it will sync over to the other so both are kept up-to-date
No.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Database Schemas and mix matching0