OS X Upgrade failure from Dharma to Eden or whatever 12.x is called
I had Dharma operating as nicely asI could have expected - some issues, but for the most part stable.
The scraper quit working so my only option appears to be an upgrade to 11.x or 12.x.

I read the upgrade sectionof the FAQ. Followed the directions.

Eden shits itself immediately after start up and generates a crash report to send to Apple.
Reboot and try again,
Same result.

OK, so it's getting long in the tooth too, so I try 12.1 next.
Follow the upgrade process for MAC OS X which is mount the image, copy the app to the applicaitons folder.
I start the appliciton and I see the "Eden 11.0" version displayed but it starts and runs, although when you go to the Videos->Files menu, you no longer have an option to "Scan for New Content" in the folders, so nothing to activate the scraper which was the whole point of the exercise.
Reboot and watch XBMC crap itself during the start up at boot, but manually starting it gets me into Eden.

That's not going to work for the wife.

I try the upgrade to 12.1 again.

Now I don't even get a crash - just nothing at all.

I thought upgrades were supposed to be better?

Is the best option to simply delete the app and theapp data folders and install fresh after reboot?
Will that work?
Will I get the option to scan all folders and sub folders again like in Dharma?
Dharma is ancient, don't expect upgrade to be painless.

Replace the app with 12.2, rename guisettings.xml and start, see if it makes difference.

If your library is not too big i would re-do the library, database has gone through so many changes that i'm not surprised if it's unable to upgrade the database design properly.
what would be nice is if you could somehow share your "userdata/database/" (some filesharing location) so we perhaps could see where it goes wrong and fix it for others who for example are going to upgrade from 10.1 to coming 13.0

other than that i would recommend like toiva says. re-do the library. the "scan all folders" is still there but maybe just as a different description
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2013-09-02, 21:34)Dalej Wrote: .....

they are better, you waited for too long Smile
(2013-09-02, 21:45)Martijn Wrote: what would be nice is if you could somehow share your "userdata/database/" (some filesharing location) so we perhaps could see where it goes wrong and fix it for others who for example are going to upgrade from 10.1 to coming 13.0

other than that i would recommend like toiva says. re-do the library. the "scan all folders" is still there but maybe just as a different description

I have a backup of the userdata folders prior to this - if you are interested I can tar it up and make it available via http.

I blew away everything, app, userdata and all.

I reloaded 12.1, started it up, did minor system configuration and then started adding video sources - while it was scanning the folders to add to the db, it crapped out again and won't restart, even after reboot.

I probably overtaxed it a bit in that I was trying to add multiple sources at the same time - is there any way to force it to start up? Maybe just whack whatever database it was building, but keep the configuration so I don't have to go through it again?

Killing the xbmc helper process, deleting XBMC folders from /Applications and /Users/xbmc/Library then rebooting should remove everything, giving me a fresh start to load 12.2 - correct?

(2013-09-02, 21:54)amet Wrote:
(2013-09-02, 21:34)Dalej Wrote: .....

they are better, you waited for too long Smile

Story of my life. I tend to yell "Get off my lawn!" a lot too.
OK, cleaned everything up and started fresh with 12.2. Started it up and the keyboard doesn't function in the interface.
OK, I can stumble through using the mac mini remote (And this is why I was still on Dharma - the Wife Acceptance Factor drops precipitously on when Things That Used to Work Don't Anymore ...) Probably a bad example, but going from defaulting the keyboard to function in 12.1 to not in 12.2 is apretty wild jump if you ask me. I still haven't found where to turn it back on.

At any rate I get through the configuraiton and go to add the first folder of movies. I can add the folder, set the content, but using the mac remote, you can never navigate to the OK button to save the setup.

So, wihtout a functioning keyboard, and no way I can find to turn it on... how is this supposed to work?

EDIT: -- So, in 12.2, the keyboard is no longer enabled by default - at least it didn't work for me immedialty after installation.
I had to stop and restart XBMC in order for it to work. Maybe that's just something screwey with my system.
That's why I blew the wad of cash on the mac mini though - the hope was to remove the hardware from the equation of random weirdness.
You mean the virtual keyboard on the screen? As far as I know there's no way to turn it off, so it should always pop up even with a physical keyboard connected.
(2013-09-03, 03:27)Ned Scott Wrote: You mean the virtual keyboard on the screen? As far as I know there's no way to turn it off, so it should always pop up even with a physical keyboard connected.

The keyboard attached to the Mac. It was disabled on first startup.
Huh, that shouldn't happen either :/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Upgrade failure from Dharma to Eden or whatever 12.x is called0