Usenet files won't play
I am running the latest version of openelec on a Raspberry pi. I have been downloading tv and movies from torrents for a while and playing them with no problem on the pi. I recently discovered Usenet for downloading tv and movies with sickbeard/couchpotato and sabnzbd. Every single file that I have downloaded through Usenet will not play with openelec on the pi. They do play perfectly on my Win7 computer running XBMC or through VLC. They also play perfectly on my Roku3 using Plex. The files show up in the proper tv and movie folders on openelec on the raspberry pi when updated, but they just wont play. Most of the files are .mkv, yet the pi has had no problems playing .mkv files downloaded as torrents.

Any ideas as to why my Usenet files wont play on Openelec on my raspberry pi, yet work perfectly on Roku running Plex and perfectly on XBMC on my Win7 computer?
do you get a specific error when trying to play the file?
can you provide a debug log (wiki) as well as a shot showing what the file type is?
I use usenet as well as rpi and dont have issues with the file formats.
יונתן בן-חיים
The error that keeps popping up in the log file is this: unix_err:'d' error : 'Permission denied'
21:38:38 I believe I have all of the sharing and security permissions set properly on my server, but I could be wrong. Something in the post processing in Sabnzbd must be causing this error to occur, because I don't have to tweak sharing permissions with torrent files. Ideas?
Can you provide a debug log (wiki)?

You can try and have SAB set permissions for new downloaded content.
This is under Config and Folders in SAB.

Mine is set to nothing which is the default, but you can set it to like 755 or 777.

it also depends on if you use a different username to run SAB as opposed to the user you use to connect to your share.
יונתן בן-חיים
SAB won't let me add any values to that box.

Here is the debug log. I'm sort of a noob to this so: 1) I hope I did it right 2) I hope it helps. Thanks in advance for any help.

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=54372
yeah based on the log it looks like a files permission.

I am not sure why you cant add values to that in SAB...

try and chmod a file like:

smb://DESKTOP/TV%20Shows/Strike%20Back/Strike.Back.S04E02.Shadow.Warfare.Episode.2.mkv

so chmod 755 <and the path to the file> and see what you get...
יונתן בן-חיים
Like I said , I am a relative noob to all of this. Where do I type in the chmod? (I understand what to type, just not sure where I do it). Thanks.
is the server running SAB a windows box or linux?
do the files get stored on the same PC running SAB?
יונתן בן-חיים
SAB is running on a Windows XP PC. Files are stored on the same PC.
so never mind the chmod command on windows right click on a file go to properties under the security tab make sure it has everyone read access.
יונתן בן-חיים
Everyone has read access.
One other thing I noticed is that when I open a particular tv show (or movie) in openelec from SAB, all of the metadata is present, but the file info is not. Ex: file type, screen ratio, resolution, etc.
Found the problem! All files downloaded from SAB didnt have the "Everyone" group listed under permissions in the file properties. I was originally only looking at the properties of the "Movies" folder on my PC where all SAB downloaded movies are stored. The Movies folder did have Everyone in the permissions group even though individual files in that folder downloaded from SAB didnt include the Everyone group. That's what was causing the problem, and that is what was throwing me off.

Then I remembered that SAB files are downloaded and processed in a different folder and then moved to the Movies folder by either SAB or Couchpotato. The folder where the files are originally downloaded do not include the Everyone group, and SAB files take on sharing properties of the folder where they are originally downloaded, therefore, they do not have Everyone listed in their permission groups, even if later moved to a folder (Movies folder in my case) that does have the group listed in permissions.

All I had to do was add the Everyone group to the original download folder...problem solved!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Usenet files won't play0