Bug No audio when using passthough on Gotham Alpha 7
When I select to passthrough AC3 or DTS in XBMC, I get no sound. Deselecting all passthtough options gives me sound. Audio routing is from my CMI8738 sound card via SPDIF to AVR and then directly to speakers. When testing Doldy Digital/AC3 and DTS is the Supported formats window, they work correctly.

Debug file: www.pollisoft.se/XBMC/xbmc_audioProblem.log
Asus motherboard
Intel i5 8500
6 GB RAM
Win 10 64bit
recently got the same problem with alpha 7. sound was routed to speakers instead of spdif.
sadly i am not sure how and what fixed it. may be reboot, not sure. currently i have build from 30 august ( XBMCSetup-20130830-b08bd0e-master.exe ) and it work ok.
You're got the Directsound device selected in your XBMC audio config, but DTS is only supported with the WASAPI driver so select the "WASAPI: SPDIF-gränssnitt" device and make sure Speaker Configuration is 2.0.
Ok, did that. Unfortunately still no sound. I tried both with analog and Coax, see log files.
www.pollisoft.se/XBMC/xbmc_WASAPI_Analog.log
www.pollisoft.se/XBMC/xbmc_WASAPI_Coax.log

Could it be the drivers that doesn't support exclusive mode?
Edit
I found this in the driver FAQ:
Why does playback/recording fail when using WASAPI?
WASAPI requires Windows Vista/7 and the WaveRT version. Also, only 65536 bytes respectively samples can be addressed by the hardware so the size of the buffer needs to be lower or equal than this value.

What buffer size is used?
End Edit

Edit2
When playing the same files in Media Player classic, the sound is Ok and decoded by my AVR as DTS/AC3 passthrough. I guess WASAPI is used, but I am not sure.
End Edit2
Asus motherboard
Intel i5 8500
6 GB RAM
Win 10 64bit
It could be that the driver does not support event mode WASAPI.

Since you had some success with Directsound go back to that, you said  "Deselecting all passthtough options gives me sound", have you tried with just AC3 enabled? if not try again.

If still no success and try creating an Advancedsettings.xml (wiki) containing

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<audio>
<allowtranscode44100>1</allowtranscode44100>
</audio>
</advancedsettings>

and again if no success then try adding line to become:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<audio>
<resample>44100</resample>
<allowtranscode44100>0</allowtranscode44100>
</audio>
</advancedsettings>
I tried with just AC3 enabled, then I get no sound for any videos (DTS nor AC3). With only DTS enabled I get sound (no passthrough though) for AC3 videos.
No difference when using the allowtranscode44100 in advancedsettings.
I think I need a new sound card, any tips of a cheap one that will work that has SPDIF out? :-)
Asus motherboard
Intel i5 8500
6 GB RAM
Win 10 64bit
Did you try with both "resample" and "allowtranscode" in the advancedsettings as per the 2nd code sample, also just realised I made a mistake, it should have been

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<audio>
<resample>44100</resample>
<allowtranscode44100>1</allowtranscode44100>
</audio>
</advancedsettings>

Try also with just the "resample" line, the reason for this is that the log reports your SPDIF only supports a 44.1khz sample rate in Directsound mode.
I tried with both options right now, and still no sound.

Since it is probably a driver issue, I uninstalled all sound drivers and installed the latest one I could find. After some tweaking in the control panel, I got WASAPI to work with both DTS and AC3.
Thanks a lot for all your help!!!
Asus motherboard
Intel i5 8500
6 GB RAM
Win 10 64bit
Glad you got there in the end.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No audio when using passthough on Gotham Alpha 70