No Subtitles when streaming
Hi everyone,

I've recently installed XBMC and I have a problem. When I am accessing a movie file from my TV it doesn't show the subtitles. I have the subtitle and the movie on the same folder, with the same name except the file tipe (qwerty.mkv and qwerty.srt for example),

I've read a lot of posts everywhere on the internet from people with the same problem. I've installed XBMC subtitles add-on, I've also installed PleXmbc add-on but it doesn't work.

I'm using a laptop with W7 and a LG 32LA620S.

Can someone help me please? I've searched in the forum but I didn't find a solution Confused
Sorry guys.

Thanks.
You need the subs turned on in OSD.

While watching a video you should have some sort of icon representing sound, click it and ensure you have the subs turned on, and the system has the file in the path. Streaming videos are another matter, refer back to the 3rd party streaming add-on author; some do not support subs.

Talking about streaming movies that are DRM is verboten in this forum, please read the forums rules.
(2013-09-04, 20:59)PatK Wrote: You need the subs turned on in OSD.

While watching a video you should have some sort of icon representing sound, click it and ensure you have the subs turned on, and the system has the file in the path. Streaming videos are another matter, refer back to the 3rd party streaming add-on author; some do not support subs.

Talking about streaming movies that are DRM is verboten in this forum, please read the forums rules.

Thanks PatK.

I know I have to use 3rd parties add-on to have external subs on the streamed videos, but my question is: which add-on allows me to do that?

Thanks
There is no ONE add-on that allows for 3rd party subs for streams, your best approach would be an appeal to the author of the 3rd party video stream plugin, although in most cases a video stream rarely has built in sub titles and an external sub would have to be another stream (kinda multi-tasking of which XBMC doesn't do). The work around would be to save the video as a file in it's own folder (downloading it) then using subtitle add-on, grab the .srt for it. XBMC would have no issues playing this as a video file with subs at that point.
hello, I have the same problem, I have my movies with the same name as the subtitle (eg ironman.srt ironman.mkv) but when I do the streaming on another pc which is not the server does not load the subtitles no matter who has the option loading subtitles on. The videos bring the subtitle in the same file (eg mkv with subtitle multiple tracks) I have no problem to load them.
is there any solution?
If you're using UPNP streaming , external subtitle won't load. Try using SMB and it should load fine. Or if you're using UPNP / DLNA just mux subtitle in to media file and it should works.
Any update to this point?

Same problems here .

Please make a fix for this
Hi.

First, sorry for my bad english, so if I made any mistake just forgive me Big Grin.

I've recently builded my own touch media controller to stream media to TV and lack of streaming subtitles was really not acceptable. So I fix source code to add this feature. Here is link to modified file on my google drive Kodi (password: 1234). Just replace file in Kodi installation directory (make backup first). It's Kodi 15 alpha 1.

It has another feature. You could add your own mime-types for streaming file if your TV (or another device) expect different one than DLNA/UPnP standard specified (like mine TV). For example mime type standard for AVI file is video/x-msvideo but my TV (LG) expect video/avi and won't play streaming avi movies from Kodi (XBMC). To add custom mime types (only for streaming) just add file named "upnpmime.xml" to "userdata" directory (%APPDATA%\Kodi\userdata on Windows).

Structure of upnpmime.xml file:

<upnpmime>
<profile id="name_of_device" type="name" >
<mime ext="movie_file_extension" mimetype="new_mimetype" />
</profile>
</upnpmime>

- name_of_device - friendly name of device in DLNA\UPnP (KODI shows it in logs or in "Play To" function)
- "id" could be UUID of device in Kodi, but you have to change type to "uuid"
- you could add as many profiles as you want, and so mime entries in profile

for example:

<upnpmime>
<profile id="[TV]47LM660S-ZA" type="name" >
<mime ext="avi" mimetype="video/avi" />
</profile>
</upnpmime>

Maybe it will be useful for someone. Just test it, and maybe changes could be added to official release.

PS. This two changes (streaming subtitles and custom mime types) are only changes to source code. The rest is untouched. Source code is from original repository dated at 17 dec 2014.
(2014-12-30, 15:04)7pepo7 Wrote: Hi.

First, sorry for my bad english, so if I made any mistake just forgive me Big Grin.

I've recently builded my own touch media controller to stream media to TV and lack of streaming subtitles was really not acceptable. So I fix source code to add this feature. Here is link to modified file on my google drive Kodi (password: 1234). Just replace file in Kodi installation directory (make backup first). It's Kodi 15 alpha 1.

It has another feature. You could add your own mime-types for streaming file if your TV (or another device) expect different one than DLNA/UPnP standard specified (like mine TV). For example mime type standard for AVI file is video/x-msvideo but my TV (LG) expect video/avi and won't play streaming avi movies from Kodi (XBMC). To add custom mime types (only for streaming) just add file named "upnpmime.xml" to "userdata" directory (%APPDATA%\Kodi\userdata on Windows).

Structure of upnpmime.xml file:

<upnpmime>
<profile id="name_of_device" type="name" >
<mime ext="movie_file_extension" mimetype="new_mimetype" />
</profile>
</upnpmime>

- name_of_device - friendly name of device in DLNA\UPnP (KODI shows it in logs or in "Play To" function)
- "id" could be UUID of device in Kodi, but you have to change type to "uuid"
- you could add as many profiles as you want, and so mime entries in profile

for example:

<upnpmime>
<profile id="[TV]47LM660S-ZA" type="name" >
<mime ext="avi" mimetype="video/avi" />
</profile>
</upnpmime>

Maybe it will be useful for someone. Just test it, and maybe changes could be added to official release.

PS. This two changes (streaming subtitles and custom mime types) are only changes to source code. The rest is untouched. Source code is from original repository dated at 17 dec 2014.

Why dont you do a Pull request at GITHUB?
(2015-01-02, 23:41)fernandovg Wrote: Why dont you do a Pull request at GITHUB?

I don't have account on github and I have to take some time to prepare patch, but I was thinking about it.
Please do.
(2015-01-03, 13:56)fernandovg Wrote: Please do.

I'd appreciate if anyone can fix this.
Especially for iOS.

My scenario is:

I am deaf and therefor I rely on subtitles.
I use kodi on iOS as it is easier for me to download and manage content on my iDevices.
I then output the content via dlna / upnp to my Samsung SmartTV.

Unfortunately the subtitles don't come through on the TV.

I really need to get this to work. kodi is such a great app!
It would be great to get this to work, I've had to rely on Plex to stream to my TV. As soons as there's a fix for subtitles over DLNA, bye-bye Plex!
7pepo7, thanks for your efforts but still the subtitles do not come through to my DLNA Panasonic TV.
As I've said if you use Kodi as a server streaming to TV via DLNA. AND NEED Subtitles , most reliable way is use mkvmerge to mux subtitles in to the file itself. But it's down to your TV to be able to select softsubs reliably. Kodi isn't designed to be library server to streaming via DLNA. It can but some features won't be as good as connect Kodi Box to TV via HDMI.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No Subtitles when streaming0