Solved Unable to connect to remote server
Hi,
I've been using XBMC on Windows and it was working flawlessly. recently i switched to Linux Mint 15, and it was working great untill this strange problem started happening with me.
When i try to add/refresh/get-art for a tv show or a movie, XBMC says "unable to connect to remote server", so i tried to check if thetvdb & tmdb are working properly, both are working just fine. i tried to switch scrapers by using something else, same problem. i deleted all the xbmc data and reinstalled it, same problem.
the strange thing is, when i delete the video source and re-add it, it asks me after saying "unable to connect to remote server" if i want to keep scanning the files, and magically, it continues scanning allright and downloads all the metadata. but not when i try to edit items manually.
so the "remote server" is actually reachable but something is making XBMC think it's not.
HALP! Big Grin

PS: the RSS feed that shows up in the start page (Back Row skin) isn't showing up too, so something's wrong, and i don't know what it is.
Also, sorry if this topic isn't in the correct forum.

EDIT: here's the logs http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=54908
EDIT2: Solved it by disabling ipv6 in advancedsettings.xml
Code:
<network>
<disableipv6>true</disableipv6>
</network>
Welcome to the XBMC forums.

Do you have proxy server enabled in XBMC? If so, try disabling this.

Also, the log you posted is not a debug log (wiki). You need to enable debug logging in XBMC so more diagnostic information is captured in the log as you reproduce your error condition.
Thank you for the fast reply.

No i don't have proxy settings, i discovered it was caused by this http://forums.thetvdb.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11378
i had to disable ipv6 in advancedsettings.xml

really sorry for the inconvenience.
Glad you have it sorted. No apologies necessary. By having your solution here, it may help others in the future who search these forums on this issue. I'll mark this as SOLVED.
(2013-09-04, 22:01)artrafael Wrote: Glad you have it sorted. No apologies necessary. By having your solution here, it may help others in the future who search these forums on this issue. I'll mark this as SOLVED.

Curious....Is this what the advancedsettings should look like to fix this if I have to create one?

<advancedsettings>
<network>
</network>
</advancedsettings>

I am getting this error for TV shows and I believe Music. I will need to figure out how to get logs and post those I suspect....
(2013-09-04, 21:34)DonLK Wrote: Hi,
I've been using XBMC on Windows and it was working flawlessly. recently i switched to Linux Mint 15, and it was working great untill this strange problem started happening with me.
When i try to add/refresh/get-art for a tv show or a movie, XBMC says "unable to connect to remote server", so i tried to check if thetvdb & tmdb are working properly, both are working just fine. i tried to switch scrapers by using something else, same problem. i deleted all the xbmc data and reinstalled it, same problem.
the strange thing is, when i delete the video source and re-add it, it asks me after saying "unable to connect to remote server" if i want to keep scanning the files, and magically, it continues scanning allright and downloads all the metadata. but not when i try to edit items manually.
so the "remote server" is actually reachable but something is making XBMC think it's not.
HALP! Big Grin

PS: the RSS feed that shows up in the start page (Back Row skin) isn't showing up too, so something's wrong, and i don't know what it is.
Also, sorry if this topic isn't in the correct forum.

EDIT: here's the logs http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=54908
EDIT2: Solved it by disabling ipv6 in advancedsettings.xml
Code:
<network>
</network>

Hey DonLK (or artrafael) - where did you enter this code? Where is advancedsettings.xml? How do I get to that from XBMC menus? I'm on a Raspberry Pi running OpenElec. (sorry, I'm a XBMC newbie!)

BTW, now XBMC tells me my OpenELEC has an update, OpenELEC-RPi.arm-3.2.2.tar. Downloading it now. Wake me in about an hour...

DUH! It just occurred to me advancedsettings.xml must be on the SD and cannot be accessed from the executing XMBC instance. I thought some magic could bring up a window but maybe not. The fix probably needs to be saved on my SD anyway. If my download ever finishes I'll see.
i had the same problem. After searching around I found the following link that explains it better:

http://stupidstuffihadtofix.blogspot.com...thing.html

hope this helps
I get this issue every now and again but its not a constant, i can usually just restart XBMC or my computer. Do you think I should start messing with code or keep using the band-aid?
(2013-09-04, 21:34)DonLK Wrote:
Code:
<network>
</network>

This did not work for me, I'm still getting this issue after adding this to the file.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unable to connect to remote server0