Another Newbie Build Question
Maybe there should be a subforum for all these types of threads.

I'm going to be starting my first build soon. I really need to be cost effective (maybe sub $500).
I already have a usb external drive with about 2k+ songs and about 40 or So DVD rips.

I need to be able to streamto 2 different tvs as well as aassorted ipads, smartphones, etc.

I'm looking at either building a combo htpc/server connected to my main TV and a small dangle or st top box for the other TV or a separate server with dongle /set top box for each TV. Which will be more cost effective and give me the most stable results? Any suggestions?

We will be cutting the cable and using this for local content, subscription service, and download.
I would (and have) built a dedicated server with no HTPC functionality and small low-power HTPCs for the other TVs. For the iPads, smartphones, etc. you can install any of several streaming applications on the server to transcode on the fly to those devices.
When you say small low-power HTPCs, do you have some examples of some that would work?
I'm sorry. I'm very new to all this and this forum is getting very confusing as to what works, what doesn't, and what gives me the best bang for my buck.
This forum may not appreciate this opinion, but I think going with a Celeron G1610 based server with Rokus running Plex on your TVs is the best option for someone who is wanting to combine HTPC with streaming services. In my opinion this is the easiest setup that anyone can do. In some ways not as capable as a HTPC, but you can incorporate netflix, amazon, etc... much easier.

Since you will have so many mobile devices you need a CPU powerful enough for transcoding. I would recommend a Celeron G1610 at least. Get that installed with a couple of HDDs and install Plex. My server has that CPU and has no issues trancoding multiple HD streams.

My server is:

Celeron G1610 - $35 at microcenter or $42 on Amazon
ECS H61 ITX board - $50 on Amazon
8 GB RAM - $50
Fractal Node 304 - $55 on newegg
Decent PSU - $30-40

TOTAL: ~$250 + HDDs
How well does the Roku + Plex solution work? (Honest question) I won't disagree at all that for certain streaming services like Netflix, VUDU, etc. the dedicated device apps are much better than a lot of the PC apps. Last year we had to get a new TV and it has Netflix, Pandora, VUDU and Amazon Video on it and the video/audio quality is much better not to mention I can use my Harmony remote and don't need to get out a keyboard. I still like my HTPC for Live TV, PVR and local content though.

When I say low-power HTPCs I mean something mini-ITX or smaller with a Celeron 847 or 1007U running OpenELEC. A lot though depends on the streaming services you want.

The best answer is probably going to depend on what your local media formats are, what streaming service you want and what supported by either a Roku 3 or XBMC HTPC.
(2013-09-06, 18:58)Dougie Fresh Wrote: How well does the Roku + Plex solution work? (Honest question) I won't disagree at all that for certain streaming services like Netflix, VUDU, etc. the dedicated device apps are much better than a lot of the PC apps. Last year we had to get a new TV and it has Netflix, Pandora, VUDU and Amazon Video on it and the video/audio quality is much better not to mention I can use my Harmony remote and don't need to get out a keyboard. I still like my HTPC for Live TV, PVR and local content though.

When I say low-power HTPCs I mean something mini-ITX or smaller with a Celeron 847 or 1007U running OpenELEC. A lot though depends on the streaming services you want.

The best answer is probably going to depend on what your local media formats are, what streaming service you want and what supported by either a Roku 3 or XBMC HTPC.

I have only used it on the base model Roku (LT or something). Very similar in feel to the Roku Netflix app. I did notice a drop in video quality when going from most Roku apps to the Plex app. So I don't know if I would recommend it for the main TV, but it makes a very nice bedroom TV solution. I'm also not sure why there was a drop in video quality. Maybe the transcoding process, my CPU, plex settings, TV, network, media files, or anything else. It has also been a few months since I used a Roku with Plex, so maybe they have done some updates. I also have a few family members who bought Rokus to connect to my Plex server via myPlex. They had no complaints.

I personally think, even with a slight drop in video quality, that a Plex server plus Roku is easily the best option for the not so technologically gifted. Or if you are going to have a Plex server anyway for mobile devices... might as well try the Roku. If it doesn't work for you at least you have a decent device for doing all your streaming services. Then you could build a cheap Celeron 847 Openelec machine for local files.
Before our old TV broken and we got the "smart" TV this is exactly what I was considering doing when I saw the Roku 3 come out -- use the Roku 3 for on-line services and continue to use my HTPC for local content, live TV and PVR. I was bummed that it meant having to switch inputs on the AVR but with the Harmony it's not like it used to be. It's a great solution.
I also tried the Roku Plex solution,..and I got to say,..I was pretty surprised at how good (relative term) the interface was.
The display of my library was actually pretty nice.

I don't use it, since I really don't need it,....but it was pretty cool to try it out.
The majority of my local content are straight DVD rips, although I've been starting to use MakeMKV.

I need access to Netflix, possibly Hulu, and a few other small streaming services.

Maybe my best shot right now is to build a server and using Roku until I can scrap together enough to build my HTPCs.
Although I would like the availability of PVR functionality, i can always use the server with SMB, Couch Potato, etc.
OK. I found a surplus Dell Optiplex that has a 3.0GHz Core 2 Duo for dirt cheap ($75). I'd need to upgrade some memory, but how would this work with an external HD cage like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817198058 ?

Would the Core 2 Duo be enough to transcode multiple streams?
(2013-09-10, 00:57)ASUDave Wrote: OK. I found a surplus Dell Optiplex that has a 3.0GHz Core 2 Duo for dirt cheap ($75). I'd need to upgrade some memory, but how would this work with an external HD cage like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817198058 ?

Would the Core 2 Duo be enough to transcode multiple streams?

That looks like an internal cage to me. This is what you want: http://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-HF2-SU3...mediasonic

It MIGHT be enough for one HD transcode. Have to look up CPU benchmarks for the specific processor and basically it takes a passmark of at least 1200-1400 for one HD transcode. Multiply it for how many simultaneous transcodes you want.
That cage ( ICY DOCK FlexCage MB975SP-B Aluminum / Plastic 3.5" & 5.25" Black Tray-less 5 x 3.5" HDD in 3 x 5.25" Bay SATA Cage ) is meant for inside of a case. It is a 5x3 cage meaning it will take up 3 spots you would have in your case for cd/dvd drives. I don't think it would fit inside that Dell Optiplex case.
Also, by the time you factor in computer cost, memory upgrade, external HDD enclosure, etc... you are better off building your own with a case that works for you.

A Celeron G1610 plus cheap mATX mobo isn't going to cost you much more if at all and it will be at least twice as powerful and will last longer. I would much rather put my money towards a decent CPU and motherboard and then upgrade around it when you get the money. At least then all the HDDs will be connected to SATA and not USB.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Another Newbie Build Question0