HTPC Advice
Hi All,

I’m looking for some advice on a new HTPC build. My Acer Revo is getting a little long in the tooth and it time for a upgrade. I’ve been looking at a 2012 Mac Mini, I like these because of the build in ir receiver (I could finally get rid of the ugly USB receiver, The wife would be happy) and that it would look nice on a shelf.

I’m not a mac guy and don’t know a lot about OSX but I can’t seem to find a case that includes a ir receiver and don’t look like a large desktop setting by my TV. I wouldn’t mind a prebuilt machine but would prefer to build it myself.

I would be primarily using this to TV and Movies stored locally, these are mostly smaller sized HD rips (between 5-10gb). I also would like to do some light gaming, mostly emulators up to PSX and a few games on Steam. The gaming is why I’m looking to upgrade, my current Acer Revo play the video great but struggles with gaming obviously.

I’m looking for some advice on a build or prebuild system?

This is my first post on these forms after lurking for years. I have to thanks the devs and all the posters on this form for all their hard work and making my life so much easier. XBMC is really a great piece of software with a great community.
Maybe wait on a Haswell NUC instead. Should be a bit cheaper and will also have built in IR.
If you really want games, I would not use a mobile chipset, even mobile Haswell. My first thought is a mini-ITX system with an i3-4330 if you want to stay small. Pre-built or DIY (or my favorite in-between the "barebones") is really dependent on if you want to build or not more than anything.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC Advice0