2 PC's on same IR blaster, want IR sent to one at a time
I realize this may not be the most appropriate place to post this, but I've found the xbmc community to be among the most knowledgeable and willing to help, and honestly one of the better HTPC knowledge centers on the web, so here goes:

I have 2 PC's in my home theater set up, one dedicated HTPC and one Beast of a PC to do all other tasks, including HTPC tasks in the event that the HTPC is down. I primarily use (or will once its set up) the HTPC (and primarily, but not exclusively for XBMC), but want to be able to control both with my Logitech Harmony 900 (which I realize may just be OCD foolhardiness). I currently have both set up and working with Eventghost but unfortunately both PC's IR receiver are controlled by the same blaster, such that any commands sent in either activity (HTPC or Beast mode) are received by both PC's (i.e. when pressing "up" on the remote, both PC's receive an "up" command).

I would like to stop this.

Currently my best idea/plan is to map pure MCE commands to the Beast (which has a USB IR receiver with the eHome driver) and a complicated series of Alt+_ commands to the HTPC (which frustratingly has a crappy built in IR receiver using the RC 260 protocol, i.e. no true MCE commands) and map both to the desired actions/macros in Eventghost. So far, this KIND of works (I'm not completely done), but is FAR from perfect (there's only one set of navigation keys/mouse movements, plus I hate hijacking all the Alt key combos).

I'm open to anything,

1) Maybe a way to have a particular PC ignore most of the IR commands it receives when not the selected activity. I use the word most because I'd still need the IR Receiver to receive a command that turns it back on when that PC's activity is selected (so this would be a command sent when I exit the activity and another when I enter).

2) Maybe having the keyboard/devices listed in the harmony setup be exclusive to a particular PC, i.e. keyboard1 device controls the Beast, keyboard2 device controls the HTPC (I realize this one is pretty exclusive to the Harmony software, but I'm pretty confident asking Harmony would yield nothing).

3) Literally anything else? I'm getting fed up with the roadblocks I'm hitting with Logitech and would be willing to move to another standard (maybe USB-UIRT?) that can offer be better control, so feel free to make your suggestions as drastic as you want

So clearly, ANY suggestions would be very appreciated.
Well...since you said ANYTHING Smile

Does Harmony have an equivalent to something like this:

http://www.universalremote.com/products/...ns/mrf-260

I am running the big brother of this device (the MSC-400) but the 260 would surffice for what you are trying to do. What they allow you to do is route the IR to different emitters. So, you could have one emitter assigned to the Beast and another assigned to the XBMC box. Then you have to do the appropriate programming that goes with it so it know when to do what. For my setup, I have the base stations in a closet with 5-6 different emitters pointed a 5-6 different devices including two FIOS boxes which use the same exact remote commands. Routing the emitters solves the problem with them both responding at the same time.

Unfortunately the URCs only work with each other for the most part but if the Harmony's have something equivalent that might solve your problem.

Worth a shot at least. Otherwise, I think you going to have to get into some of the advanced configuration that you already described.

Ernie
(2013-09-05, 20:43)aesalazar Wrote: Does Harmony have an equivalent to something like this:

http://www.universalremote.com/products/...ns/mrf-260

@ernie, thanks so much for the suggestion. That is exactly what I'm looking for (more control over the assign-ability of IR blasters) but I don't think Logitech offers any such device or method to accomplish this (though I'd love to be corrected). Their entire product line has changed drastically since the last time I looked, but it appears through light googling that the new Harmony Ultimate Hub (There are three different packages with a Hub but I suspect they are all the same) doesn't allow assignment to specific blasters (called "variable" in the link you provided) (I surmised that from this link). Maybe (hopefully) someone can correct me. But thanks so much for the product suggestion, that will be useful if I totally bail on this whole logitech thing...
Humm..it might do it actually. The link you provide, checkout the screen shot in there:

Seems like that might what you are looking for?

Ernie
By GOLLY you're right! Good catch, unfortunately from this link (http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theate...ntroduced/) it appears that it won't work with my current remote (the 900), which means I'll have to pony up for the entire new system. Still, thanks so much for the pointing that out.
WHAT! Thats just lame. No problem. Hopefully someone else has a another suggestion.

Ernie
I know, right!?! Those new remotes do look pretty tempting, but the fact that they JUST now accept a simple feature like "long-press" of buttons is pretty telling of their many limitations. You can accomplish some advanced configuration but its usually very un-intuitive. For instance, to change the inter-key delays, I don't go to settings or advanced settings, you have to go to "troubleshooting" then pick the option "device not responding the way it should" or something. I understand why those sorts of safeguards are in place, but I'm just at the stage where I'd like some more direct/intuitive control. Hence why I'm gonna look into USB-UIRT or this URC you linked to.

Did you get it from an installer? Where would I purchase it? I can't even get a rough estimate of price...What's the set up process like?
Never had to program a logitech. They look like great remotes but I wasnt sure I liked how much hand-holding they do. URC is the complete opposite which may or may not be a good thing depending on the user. Helps alot if you understand basic object oriented programming but its not required.

I will send you a PM with the guy I bought from. He is an authorized dealer and will provide the software you need since URC does not give it to end users at all. But they seem ok if the dealer wants to give it out. URC is trying to lock down who can buy their devices to just custom installers so its a real PITA to get their stuff. Places like amazon and ebay will often have them but warranty and software is something you have to be careful of.

Ernie
Yeah, you hit the nail on the head with the "may or may not be a good thing". I can def be irrationally concerned with the aesthetics of my components and can't say I love the plain looks of those remotes, but if it works THAT well, not sure I can complain. I think I'm gonna look into the best method to turn a Tablet into a dedicated universal remote. There's Logitech's Smart Control but for aforementioned reasons I'd like to avoid it (or at least know what my options are). Since the primary system is a computer (or rather 2) I would hope to think there is some very simple open source IR hub blaster system that the tablet can connect to with wifi (which would probably have its own issues...). I sound like a broken record, but really want to look into the full implementation of USB-UIRT. If I could simply send commands to my always-on HTPC and have it send the subsequent commands (which are relatively simple) to the other units with EventGhost or some other type of Automation software, that seems like it would be the optimal solution. Especially if I could easily avoid it being a Wifi only connection...
Well iRule seems to be a VERY intriguing option. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=120413

I'm slightly nervous about the fact that it appears that without USB-UIRT (or some sort of IR hub) I need to have an Ethernet cable connected to all my devices, or use WiFi (shudde), but its def worth looking into more and maybe even give it a shot...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2 PC's on same IR blaster, want IR sent to one at a time0