• 2(current)
Release Dropbox addon
(2013-09-26, 21:32)josetaza Wrote: Hi there,
Could you provide a bit more info?
An error message from the xbmc.log would be nice. http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Log...#Log_files
Also, what version are you using? In 0.2.1b there was a problem with 'special' characters in the folder/file names (eg.: &,@ and so on) This is (should Confused ) be fixed in 0.4.0.
Can you provide a folder name on which it failes?
What platform are you using it? (Linux, windows, raspberrypi, ...)

Thanks

Xbmc.log - http://pastebin.com/avKZfuQw

Xbmc iOS frodo 12.2 app running on ipad1,1 running iOS 5.1.1

Running dropbox addon v 0.4.

It fails when I try to open a folder called "clips R". Check the xbmc.log is pasted above for more info.

Also, It would be nice if I could stream video files when I click on a video files Instead of it being cached.
Looks like you've hit the 100 limit because I get a message about maximum number of users. Would be great if you could apply for production status to allow more to try it.

Keep up the good work.
(2013-09-27, 06:22)Agora1 Wrote: Xbmc.log - http://pastebin.com/avKZfuQw

Xbmc iOS frodo 12.2 app running on ipad1,1 running iOS 5.1.1

Running dropbox addon v 0.4.

It fails when I try to open a folder called "clips R". Check the xbmc.log is pasted above for more info.

Also, It would be nice if I could stream video files when I click on a video files Instead of it being cached.
Hi there,
Thanks for the logging and info. I was able to reproduce the problem. It has to do with unicode string. In the folder(s) you try to open (probably) contain files with unicode characters in the name. The addon doesn't handle it properly. I'm working on the solution. Will be fixed in next release.

About the streaming, I want to make an option in the addon-settings so that you can choose if you want to cache or stream. But first fix the unicode problem... Wink

(2013-09-28, 21:54)radiosfun Wrote: Looks like you've hit the 100 limit because I get a message about maximum number of users. Would be great if you could apply for production status to allow more to try it.

Keep up the good work.
Yep, I just checked, there are 100 users using the addon. The production status request is already ongoing... I will post a message when it is approved.
Hi All,
Good news: the addon has Dropbox production status! I had to make some changes to the addon for that and the biggest change was changing the name to Dbmc. From now on the addon is called Dbmc! Version 0.5.2 is available for download. The automatic update, for those who have already installed it, requires some attention:
  • When the automatic update has been done the new addon (Dbmc) is installed next to the 'old' addon (Dropbox).
  • Starting the new addon (Dbmc) will copy the settings from the old one and remove the old addon. (When starting the old addon, the old addon is executed, nothing special happens)
  • When the copy and deletion is done the addon will show a popup with the request to restart XBMC. After the restart only Dbmc will be available.

These are the changes for version 0.5.2:
  • Changed plugin name from plugin.dropbox to plugin.dbmc as needed for requesting production status at Dropbox
  • Fixed unicode string problem
  • Show (some kind of) background progress dialog for caching media files in the background
  • Removed fanart image. Contained dropbox logo which is not allowed
  • Added option to stream music and video i.s.o. caching them. Note: picture cannot be streamed, they are still cached
(2013-09-06, 12:31)josetaza Wrote: Website: http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbmc-dropbox/

Description
XBMC addon for Dropbox. Features:
  • Browse your dropbox files and folders in the Pictures, Videos and Music menus
  • Pictures: View dropbox pictures (with slideshow of XBMC)
  • Videos: View dropbox videos
  • Music: Play dropbox music
Dropbox media-files (music, pictures and videos) are 'cached' to local disk for smooth performance. Other files are not cached/downloaded. Synchronizing all dropbox files is not implemented yet.

Features to come:
  • Add file searching
  • Add context menu's for special dropbox actions (delete, move, upload, copy, create directory)
  • Add synchronizing dropbox to local disk
  • Add local security for accessing the dropbox files (pin code)

First login
The addon uses the OAuth 2.0 process for accessing the dropbox data. It means that you only have to login to dropbox once to get the authorization code for this addon. The addon uses this code to access your dropbox account. The Web Viewer addon (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add-on:Web_Viewer) is used for displaying and logging into the Dropbox website to authorize the addon. You should use this WebViewer. An external browser (like on your phone or PC) is not supported.
Procedure:
After you filled in your email address, it will go to the dropbox web-site. Then the password field is highlighted and you should press <enter> (or select key) to fill the password field. Then use the down arrow to select the "Sign in" button and press <enter> again. Then a new page will be loaded and the "Cancel" and "Allow" buttons will be visible. Select the "Allow" button and press <enter>. Now the authorization is finished and the WebViewer can be closed (select "yes").
The access code is automatically stored in your addon settings and now you should be able to use the addon.

Dropbox app status: Development
For now the this addon has a status of 'Development' at Dropbox. This means that a maximum of 100 users (dropbox accounts) can use this add on. If more users want to use this addon, I will apply for the 'Production' status so that there will be no user limit. When applying for 'Production' status dropbox will review the addon before they will change the status...

I have to say i find the name highly confusing and way to simular to XBMC.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I have to admit I'm a little frustrated with Dropbox now. A while back they told me that my python project using the Drobpox API could not have production status because the App Secret and App Key were clearly readable in the code. As a result the users of the XBMC Backup addon all have to create their own developer account and enter this information themselves. I see your app clearly has the key and secret in the "login.py" file but you were approved for production status. Time to start writing some emails to Dropbox ..........
Yes, I can imagine that that is frustrating! Could it be that the difference is that dbmc uses OAuth 2.0? The user is always referred to the Dropbox own web-site, so that the user can see to which App the Auth request (App key and App secret) belongs to. And using the App key and App secret by another (ilegal) App would be visible by the user...
Anyway, when you are mailing to Dropbox, please don't mention the dbmc plugin... maybe they will redraw the production status! Confused
A new version (0.5.4) of Dbmc is available for download.
If you have the addon already installed, it will automatically be updated. For everyone else, you can download it from:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/xbmc-dropbox/

This version adds the "Download from Dropbox" context menu item for downloading files or folders (recursively).
Enjoy.
Hi there, im running into a problem where i have set it all up and i can see my dropbox folders and pictures but if i select one then nothing happens at all, doesnt open. Any ideas? Thanks
(2013-11-24, 23:07)huzz456 Wrote: Hi there, im running into a problem where i have set it all up and i can see my dropbox folders and pictures but if i select one then nothing happens at all, doesnt open. Any ideas? Thanks

Hi, the Pictures in your dropbox folders are cached(downloaded) in the background. When you enter the folder for the first time, the pictures are not there yet and thus can take some time before it is all downloaded. My experience is that, when the first few (3) pictures are downloaded, you can start a slide show and you wouldn't even notice that the other files are downloaded in the background.
If after waiting for some time you still can not view a picture, please send me your logging and I'll check what is going on.
I am using 2 factor authentication but the login fails...
(2013-12-08, 22:17)croontje Wrote: I am using 2 factor authentication but the login fails...

You don't need to start the WebViewer yourself. The Dropbox addon starts it for you!
The webviewer indeed doesn't show the email field, that is why it is ask, before the webviewer is started.

The steps are:
1. Open the Dropbox addon (in the Pictures/Music/Videos menu)
2. A popup will appear, saying that a Dropbox Authorization is required. Press 'OK'
3. A keyboard popup will appear, requesting your dropbox username. Type in your dropbox username (email)
4. Now the WebViewer is started and the Dropbox website is automatically loaded. The password field is highlighted and you should press <enter> (or select key).
5. The keyboard popup is shown again. Now enter your Dropbox password. Select 'OK' when done.
6. Use the down arrow to select the "Sign in" button and press <enter> again.
7. A new page will be loaded and the "Cancel" and "Allow" buttons will be visible. Select the "Allow" button and press <enter>.
8. A popup is shown. The authorization is finished and the WebViewer can be closed (select "yes").

The access code is automatically stored in your addon settings and now you should be able to use the addon.

In which step does it fail?
Hi all,

A new (test) version of Dbmc is available. It includes a xbmc service for synchronizing files from Dropbox to your local system.

Important: If you are on a platform, for which the native Dropbox Application is available, use that! That is a much better working, more stable and more safe than this service. This service is created for the platforms which are not supported by Dropbox (like Raspbmc).
Check the Dropbox site for their native Application: https://www.dropbox.com/install

Currently this service is a one way synchronization only! From Dropbox to local. So:
  • No files will be added/uploaded to Dropbox, which are added locally
  • No Dropbox items will be removed or changed when removed or changed locally (on a new new sync they will be put back)
The Synchronization interval can be set from 5 minutes to 24 hours (1440 minutes). This is the interval the service checks for updates from your dropbox account.
You can also select a specific folder from your dropbox account to synchronize. And thus, you don't necessarily need to synchronize the complete Dropbox (root) folder.
The Dbmc addon is aware of the synchronized folder and will use the locally synchronized files when viewing/listening to them.

Installing
The addon is not automatically updated. (It needs to be tested more first) If you want to test it, you need to download it from here (version 0.6.2):
https://sourceforge.net/projects/xbmc-dropbox/files
After installing the zip file, XBMC needs to be restarted to activate the new service. Enabling the service can be done from the Dbmc addon-settings menu.
If you have any issues, please let me know.

Known issues:
  • No background progressbar to see how far the synchronization is...
  • It downloads file by file, so it is not fast...
  • Exiting XBMC while a large file is being synchronized (downloaded), can lockup XBMC (you will need to kill it)
Noob help please..

I installed XBMC backup and it asked for my Dropbox Key and Secret, which I didn't have..duh! Went and registered with Dropbox, got the info, went back to XBMC Back-up and clicked on backup. An XMBC Backup - mode box popped up telling me it needed the "Dropbox Developer Code, visit http://dropbox.com/developers". Clicked ok and the box closes and won't restart at the first page. Tried uninstalling XBMC backup, cleared cache, reinstalled, same result.

Am I doing something wrong?
(2013-12-21, 18:47)AniMac Wrote: Noob help please..

I installed XBMC backup and it asked for my Dropbox Key and Secret, which I didn't have..duh! Went and registered with Dropbox, got the info, went back to XBMC Back-up and clicked on backup. An XMBC Backup - mode box popped up telling me it needed the "Dropbox Developer Code, visit http://dropbox.com/developers". Clicked ok and the box closes and won't restart at the first page. Tried uninstalling XBMC backup, cleared cache, reinstalled, same result.

Am I doing something wrong?
Dear AniMac,
You might get more response on the XBMC backup thread itself! This is the Dropbox addon thread (a different addon!).
Please place your question again on the XBMC backup thread.
Thanks.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dropbox addon2