myth addon on Raspberry Pi over WiFi anyone?
Is anyone using the cmyth (MythTV) add-on on a Raspberry Pi over wireless? Whether using Gotham or Frodo, over wireless n, the video pauses frequently to buffer, making it unwatchable. The recordings are MPEG 2.

Not surprisingly, there is no problem using a wired connection.

Somewhat surprisingly,however, the following also work fine OVER WIRELESS:
- Gotham cmyth/Macbook/wireless
- using the same raspberry pi to watch the same video from the same myth backend over wireless, using UPnP
- using the TVs built in UPnP client to watch the same video from the same myth backend

Looks like a problem with the plugin, based only on my experience.
Anyone? I am trying to determine if this is an issue unique to my system, or a bug I should report.
Oh, come on. Surely has tried using the cmyth (MythTV) add-on on a Raspberry Pi over wireless.

Does it work for you, or does it keep pausing to buffer?
I don't know the answer, but your attitude will not gain you friends or help around here. You provide no debugging info. If you want help, provide debug log (wiki) and details of what distro (with exact version) you are running as a bare minimum.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I am not asking anyone to do anything except answer a simple question if they know the answer. I can't comprehend why anyone would respond in such an antagonistic way.
(2013-10-03, 14:21)allan87 Wrote: I am not asking anyone to do anything except answer a simple question if they know the answer. I can't comprehend why anyone would respond in such an antagonistic way.

If English isn't your primary language, then you're excused; otherwise, I too felt the following statement came across as somewhat testy and demanding:

(2013-10-01, 19:57)allan87 Wrote: Oh, come on. Surely has tried using the cmyth (MythTV) add-on on a Raspberry Pi over wireless.

It's possible that no one who has so far read your post has done what you have done and, thus, has nothing to contribute. The lack of responses doesn't mean that there are people with the knowledge who are holding out on you for some unknown reason. It's quite possible you weren't intentionally making such an accusation, but that's how that wording came across for me.
It was not my intention to be demanding. In any event, I humbly apologize for the frustrated tone of the "Oh, come on" message.

I would be very pleased if someone else who has tried using the cmyth (MythTV) add-on on a Raspberry Pi over wireless can tell me whether they have the same buffering issue.
(2013-10-03, 18:53)allan87 Wrote: I would be very pleased yif someone else who has tried using the cmyth (MythTV) add-on on a Raspberry Pi over wireless can tell me whether they have the same buffering issue.

Yes, on both counts. This is using an 802.11n set-up (going to n over g did help.)

I am wondering whether the difference between having it stream smoothly and having to stop to buffer is that the systems you were using that didn't have the issue were maintaining a larger buffer?

I am an XBMC and Raspberry Pi noob, though I've spend a fair amount of time with Linux systems.
FWIW: It seems to be strictly a Wi-Fi bandwidth limitation. I ran a network cable over and it streams just fine at any resolution. I suspect that you might be able to make it work with a multiple-antenna 802.11n router and USB dongle,

(Cheap routers and adapers are often single-antenna, which maxes the theoretical throughput at half of what 802.11n is capable of.)
If it were strictly a strictly a Wi-Fi bandwidth limitation,
• the same streams
• from the same mythbackend
• over the same Wi-Fi network
• to the same Pi over Wi-Fi
would not play fine using UPnP instead of the myth addon.

I am aware that it also works fine using a network cable. There are also multiple scenarios where it works fine over Wi-Fi.

I will experiment a bit with the buffer settings this wkend ad see if the issue can be alleviated.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
myth addon on Raspberry Pi over WiFi anyone?0