streaming question
hi,

i have a Nas ds213 and a panasonic brand ST60.
so far i can watch pretty most of my movie on dlna streaming (no transcoding on the nas) since my TV can handle most bluray rip at 1080p.
i want to have a nice interface like xbmc one and i am considering buying a raspberry pi for it. i read here and there that reading 1080p can be not smooth when the raspberry sourçe is not a usb hdd.

is it because the raspberry can't handle the transcoding ?
since my tv can read a lot of different format, is it possible to use xbmc for streaming only and let the tv decode the movie ? would that get rid of the performance issues of the raspberry ?

thanks
(2013-09-07, 23:00)nazdroopy Wrote: i read here and there that reading 1080p can be not smooth when the raspberry sourçe is not a usb hdd.

Wherever you read that, you've been badly misinformed. The Pi can stream and play 1080p smoothly and without problems (as long as your connection - WiFi/Ethernet - is up to job).

(2013-09-07, 23:00)nazdroopy Wrote: is it because the raspberry can't handle the transcoding ?

The Pi can play back most common formats natively with hardware decoding, up to 1080p/DTS, with no need for transcoding.

(2013-09-07, 23:00)nazdroopy Wrote: since my tv can read a lot of different format, is it possible to use xbmc for streaming only and let the tv decode the movie ? would that get rid of the performance issues of the raspberry ?

No, not possible, and besides it's completely unnecessary as the Pi will most likely support more formats than your TV, and with better performance.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
streaming question0