'Playback Failed' from SMB Source
Hoping someone can help with this as I have found the android version of xbmc really good to use on my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1.

I am trying to play video files on my tablet that are kept on an external HD connected to my Mac Mini running OS X 10.7.5. I have shared the folders containing the videos and can see the folders from XBMC on the table having used the 'add video' option and added them with the SMB network location option. The problem comes when I try and play one of the video files. I get the following message: 'Playback Failed - One or more items failed to play - Check the log file for details'.

The log file is here: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=56327

Looking at the log file the problem I see started around line 998 when I tried to play an avi file.

The weird thing is I have an ATV2 set up in exactly the same way and there is no problem playing these videos.

Appreciate any help.
Mac OS X is weird about sharing external drives. As a test, I would put one movie in a folder on the internal hard drive and try to share that and see if you get the same error.
Thanks for the quick response Ned.

Shared the movies folder on my internal disk and all the files and subfolders appeared in xbmc. When I tried to play one of the movie files however same error message came up.

I transferred the movie file to the tablet and it played in xbmc no problem.
(2013-09-09, 15:34)galaxynot Wrote: Thanks for the quick response Ned.

Shared the movies folder on my internal disk and all the files and subfolders appeared in xbmc. When I tried to play one of the movie files however same error message came up.

I transferred the movie file to the tablet and it played in xbmc no problem.

Hmm, could be a permissions problem.

http://automatica.com.au/2012/11/fixing-...-x-server/

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH3774
Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried these and a few other few things:

Checked the permissions on the shared folder and tried the command in the automatica link you posted. Neither fixed the problem.

I have set up another NAS drive I have using SMB and it works ok with xbmc on the tablet. I have copied the content across to this drive as a work around.
I have accessed the shared folder on the mac from my PC and played the movie files.
I have used ES File Explorer on the tablet to access the shared folder through sftp. I can play the content then using one of several players on the tablet. This work around works OK.
I have tried the afp and sftp setup in xbmc to access the shared folders but this doesn't work and I am unable to access the folders let alone play any files.

The work arounds work OK for me so no need to try and fix this. It looks to be an issue with how smb and afp work on OS X 10.7.

Thanks again for your help on this.
I am having the exact same problem. I'm using a Galaxy S4 pulling files from an external drive on OSX via SMB.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
'Playback Failed' from SMB Source0