Future of PVR in XBMC?
(2014-09-19, 04:49)Disrespective Wrote: I like the option of having a dedicated back end piece of software which manages the recording, tuner availability, epg, etc. What I don't like is that skinners have to support series recording independently of XBMC. That is to say, if my favourite skin doesn't have support for my backend's series record feature, I don't get series record. Yes, I know you can copy the recordPrefs and deleteTimer xml files over, but they don't always work, and always need some tweaking to make look like the skin in question.

It was never the plan to put such a burden on skinners. Luckily a kind soul on Github has published a set of patches which integrates series recording (or any kind of repeating timers) into XBMC itself so that it can be used regardless of skin. I haven't checked with the rest of the team but I think it will sadly not make it into Helix since it just went into feature freeze.
(2014-09-19, 04:49)Disrespective Wrote:
(2014-09-16, 03:15)ap90033 Wrote: It amazes me in this day and age we have to resort to Media Center still. I have HD Homerun tuners and think it would be great if I didnt need another product to grab EPG and record (in the US, we get no love) shows. The info is very easy to find (IMDB, tvrage, zap, etc) seems like it would be simple (and please dont get me started w xml programs).
Here in NZ we have to use xml grabbers as our streams don't'have full 7 day guide info in them.
Hey fellow Kiwi. Actually not quite true, there are MHEG grabbers tht will grab the EPG from DVB-T Freeview. Also DVB-S Freeview _does_ have the full EIT data. However I too use the available xml data from tv_grab_nz-py because it has been massaged to improve reliability.
Quote:So that type of software definitely has its place. The key problem has been stated before that having the recording as a background service is a good idea due to the ability to have multiple front ends talking to the single backend which manages the tuners and availability. If XBMC/Kodi had the recording built in then it would have to have it's own back end software running or there would be conflicts happening on any other front ends using the tuners.

Not to mention that the back ends that we have access to (wmc, npvr et al) have been around for a long time and are very well developed in their own right. To assume that the XBMC/Kodi team could produce something as well rounded as the dedicated backend software is a tough ask.
Indeed - reproducing something with the functionality of Mythtv or the other good backends (sorry I don't know much about the windows ones) would be a huge job. Also making it cross platform, to fit in with XBMC's cross platform aims would be hard as windows tuner drivers and linux tuner drivers are so very different.
Quote:I like the option of having a dedicated back end piece of software which manages the recording, tuner availability, epg, etc. What I don't like is that skinners have to support series recording independently of XBMC. That is to say, if my favourite skin doesn't have support for my backend's series record feature, I don't get series record. Yes, I know you can copy the recordPrefs and deleteTimer xml files over, but they don't always work, and always need some tweaking to make look like the skin in question.

What backend are you using?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I use NextPVR at the moment but only because it seems to change channels a hair faster than WMC. I use Margro's XBMC build which keeps channel changes down at about 2s which is about 5s faster than a standard install.

Yeah, I kind of realised what I'd said about the guide data in our transport streams... I actually use EPG Collector for my grabbing. I haven't spent any time looking at tv_grab_nz-py, will give it a look.

(2014-09-19, 08:40)negge Wrote:
(2014-09-19, 04:49)Disrespective Wrote: I like the option of having a dedicated back end piece of software which manages the recording, tuner availability, epg, etc. What I don't like is that skinners have to support series recording independently of XBMC. That is to say, if my favourite skin doesn't have support for my backend's series record feature, I don't get series record. Yes, I know you can copy the recordPrefs and deleteTimer xml files over, but they don't always work, and always need some tweaking to make look like the skin in question.

It was never the plan to put such a burden on skinners. Luckily a kind soul on Github has published a set of patches which integrates series recording (or any kind of repeating timers) into XBMC itself so that it can be used regardless of skin. I haven't checked with the rest of the team but I think it will sadly not make it into Helix since it just went into feature freeze.
Oooh, that sounds interesting. I'll have to try and hunt that down on git later on and give it a look. Or, if you're feeling kind, can you point me in its direction?
@Disrespective: 5208 (PR)
Negge when can expect a merge?
(2014-09-20, 13:30)negge Wrote: @Disrespective: 5208 (PR)

That looks great - can't wait for the PR to be merged Smile

One comment I do have, and I don't know if this is possible at all - Is it possible to automatically size the dialog height and set conditional visibility on items in the dialog, based on the how one of the other options is configured?

Eg;
In the screenshot below, 'Day', 'Begin', 'End' don't really apply since the recording type is 'Anytime on this channel'.

It would be really nice if the visible items were trimmed down to display only what was relevant based on the currently selected type of recording
Seems like 'Pre-Record', 'Post-Record' and 'Priority' should all live under an 'Advanced' button that rolls out a section to display these options.. since most people are likely to just always leave them at the defaults.

I know that my wife would probably freak out if she hit record and saw all of those options Tongue
I would like to throw my hat into the ring and support this discussion. I have nothing new to add, but read my previous thread on this forum regarding this matter. Currently PVR functionality in XBMC kind of really sucks. So much do that I have had to dump it completely and just use Advanced Launcher to launch an instance of MediaPortal (both back and front end) exclusively for watching TV. Other guys have done the same thing, but are launching WMC and other apps in this way to make up for XBMC PVR deficiencies.

I hope this changes. I agree there is a lot of excitement about new features. I sincerely hope that the issues with existing features can be resolved however.

I also agree that XBMC ad PVR per-se appear to be being designed by guys for guys. his is entirely the wrong design philosophy I feel. XBMC/PVR needs to be designed for your wife or your girlfriend. ATM my GF refuses to touch my set up, as she claims it is too confusing and requires too many steps just to do simple things, which on the whole I agree with.
I think it works good , but not out of the box you get a better feeling with a good pvr keymap
http://openelec.tv/forum/103-infared-rem...t=90#75684
(2014-09-28, 21:50)Jönke Wrote: I think it works good , but not out of the box you get a better feeling with a good pvr keymap
http://openelec.tv/forum/103-infared-rem...t=90#75684

Agreed, having a decent default keymap is a great start.. but keymaps should be 'second place' to having a friendly GUI Smile

Since you need to 'know' what all the different button presses do within each window (which is where a good default helps, since it can be more intuitive)

Currently, there are lots of options / special button presses which can drive away non-techy people.
Hence my previous suggestion of 'hiding' most things to start with, and then 'reveal' necessary items in dialogs etc. based on what the user is doing.
I'd like to see appearance of recordings to improve. They dont seem to have much eye candy with any skin I've used. Something like this in windows mce would look cool.

http://wefixcable.com/wp-content/uploads...2B.jpg.jpg
I see that the next Helix release will include PVR channel change speed increases. This is great news. I can't wait to see what else gets brewed up.
It's PAINFULLY obvious that XBMC needs to improve the PVR. So what? Lots of things need to be improved with LOTS of devices/software. No big deal.

I think the LARGEST issue holding back PVR development is the same tired users who reiterate that it's so much more efficient to use a web interface anyway, or why fix xyz issue (example: Channel Switching Speed brought up in this thread. The response? Why channel surf. Instead of addressing the issue, we just say it should be ignored).

There are issues with the PVR that's for sure and I think the XBMC project would REALLY benefit from nontechnical user experience to improve the experience. We can still keep the advanced features we know and love yet develop "Kiosk" modes to strip those features away so that others don't inadvertently change them.

I've worked slowly and tirelessly to try and make XBMC as user friendly as humanly possible so that it feels just like "Cable TV" except what Cable TV should be and not what it actually is.

XBMC can serve the normal nontechnical user it just takes the advanced users to stop that elite mindset and help with the design that allows the software to be more user friendly. It's why Apple will always reign supreme despite a "meh" way of interaction. It's just easy to use.

I really hope the XBMC project moves to improve the PVR experience and that skinners also move towards making skins that actually make the PVR experience nice to use.
Lots of text with no specific complaints or suggestions.
(2014-10-20, 05:46)Disrespective Wrote: I see that the next Helix release will include PVR channel change speed increases. This is great news. I can't wait to see what else gets brewed up.

It does include channel speed increase and it works pretty good too!
Being able to record would be nice. Really nice.
(2014-10-28, 12:28)Gregoire Wrote:
(2014-10-20, 05:46)Disrespective Wrote: I see that the next Helix release will include PVR channel change speed increases. This is great news. I can't wait to see what else gets brewed up.

It does include channel speed increase and it works pretty good too!
Being able to record would be nice. Really nice.

What sort of change speed are you getting now?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Future of PVR in XBMC?2