Android Nexus 7 (2013)
Hello,

i want to buy a nexus 7 (2013) and i want to install xbmc on it.. i think this is no problem (i use a nfs-server to share the videos), but my question is:

can i use a hdmi adapter and stream 1080p videos to my tv from the nexus 7? have anyone test it? i want to stream audio and video to my tv, so i can use my nexus as mediaserver.

sorry for my bad english.

thanks
mrx
no one has tried it? nexus 7 and xbmc?
In general, apart from some addon and pv issues, xbmc runs fine on the nexus...or at least it does for me. No idea about streaming to a tv though.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Does anyone have experience with this yet? I'm looking at the same solution; I would like to stream x264 1080p from my NAS, hardware decode on the Nexus 7, and output 1080p to my TV via HDMI. And be able to run other Android apps (netflix, youtube, etc) and watch on my TV.

I'm trying to decide between a GBox MX2 or the new N7. Leaning towards the N7 because it can double as an e-reader. Thanks!
Using the latest build on the 2013 and 2012 models it works great playing back 1080p x264 from my NAS. Though please note I have exceptionally good Wifi N coverage. I don't connect to a tv as yet, I was just playing around sending from one device to another and trying it out on the Nexus 7's.
Thanks Nogs. I'll be connecting via 5ghz N, which provides plenty of bandwidth, assuming a strong connection. Now I just need to ensure that the N7 HDMI output works well, including audio. Ideally I would bitstream audio to my receiver via HDMI, and the receiver passes the video through to the TV.

Right now that's what I'm doing with my HTPC, which I would like to replace with the N7 or GBox or Neo x7. Or, really, any fanless Android device which can run XMBC and hardware decode/output 1080p24; AFAIK those are the only options on the market ATM. And the Gbox apparently doesn't output true 1080p.
Can't say anything for a nexus 7 but i've tried it briefly with a nexus 10, i was just seeing if it would output xbmc through hdmi that was a while ago and at the time it was a little laggy.
Thanks Cones. IIRC some of the lag may have been fixed recently in one of the v13 alphas...if you get a chance to test would love to hear the results. Also, do you happen to remember what kind of resolution & refresh rate you were getting on the TV? Thanks again
It wasn't my nexus 10, i was testing it out. If i remember right it was outputting 1080i, the nexus' 10 screen has a higher resolution than that.
Suspect bitstreaming may be the sticking point. PCM2.0 should work, DD/DTS bitstreaming is a bit trickier under Android isn't it?
Stay away from Nexus 7 if you would like to use XBMC. I just bought Nexus 7 (2013) 32GB Kit Kate just to enjoy XBMC on HD screen but it is a pure frustration to make any of XBMC version working on Nexus 7. Contrary few days ago I tried XBMC Frodo 12.2 on Galaxy Note and it was flawless. Here are my observations;

Frodo 12.2 (Stable ver) - Installs fine, all add-on works but crackling audio makes it useless

Gotham 13 (Monthly) - Tried all Alpha 1 to 9 versions. Was installing fine on Jelly bean but with Kit Kate update Gotham versions will install but will not start. (Displays message unfortunately stop working)

Nightly Builds - Will install fine but most of the add-ons I want to use are incompatible with nightly builds.

I am going to return my Nexus 7 and will wait for Dell Venue 8 pro or Lenovo Miix 8 (full window 8.1 tablet). At least windows version are smooth to run. In my opinion OPENELEC is the best option for XBMC. I have each and every TV at home hooked up with Foxconn 3500 netbox and they runs OPENELEC non stop without any hiccup.
Nexus7 is perfectly fine. Just use a nightly build. Broken add-ons are the problem for the add-on devs.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I understand the incompatible add-on is developer's problem but I bought Nexus 7 2013 hoping xbmc will work flawlessly. If it works flawlessly on Galaxy Note one should expect it to work on Nexus 7 2013 which is a top of the line android device. My investment in Nexus 7 2013 was purely for xbmc and if it does not work on it than it is useless for me.It is just a hit and miss scenario on nexus 7 until somebody comes up with a stable build for Nexus 7.
(2013-11-24, 01:12)Raka1212 Wrote: I understand the incompatible add-on is developer's problem but I bought Nexus 7 2013 hoping xbmc will work flawlessly. If it works flawlessly on Galaxy Note one should expect it to work on Nexus 7 2013 which is a top of the line android device. My investment in Nexus 7 2013 was purely for xbmc and if it does not work on it than it is useless for me.It is just a hit and miss scenario on nexus 7 until somebody comes up with a stable build for Nexus 7.

nightlies are stable enough (and imo more stable than Frodo). Almost every add-on works except the obscure ones or badly maintained and you should really ask yourself if you want to even use those.
Nexus7 is perfectly good device to buy and use.

You can expect anything but no one will ever give you any guarantees.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
There's no reason to insult add-on developers who haven't updated their add-ons yet.

@Raka1212: Some of the add-ons might still work if you just tell XBMC to not disable them when it does its check. Obviously, some or all parts of some add-ons will crash and burn, but quite a few don't have any real issue.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nexus 7 (2013)0