Is it possible to setup a HTPC, but with NAS software in background?
hi guys,

I have just placed an order for my new mini-itx pc components (see below). Whilst I'm waiting for these to arrive, I want to know if it's possible to setup a HTPC, that can also act as a NAS and a normal PC?

For example, can I have windows running with some NAS software also running in the background?

Intel Box Celeron G1620 2.70GHZ 2C 2T 2M S1155 Processor
Asus P8H77-I Motherboard
Crucial 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Ballistix Sport VLP
Samsung 840 SSD
Coolermaster Elite 120 Advanced Mini-ITX
Be Quiet Pure Power L7 300W PSU
LiteOn iHAS124 24X Internal DVD Writer with SATA
(2013-09-15, 22:51)htpcnas Wrote: hi guys,

I have just placed an order for my new mini-itx pc components (see below). Whilst I'm waiting for these to arrive, I want to know if it's possible to setup a HTPC, that can also act as a NAS and a normal PC?

For example, can I have windows running with some NAS software also running in the background?

Asus P8H77-I Motherboard
Samsung 840 SSD

Your only running 1 hard drive in this setup. NAS's are typically more then that. I would have a separate server setup from your HTPC. You can use your HTPC as a main PC with no problems, I've done it before.

Your better off building a seperate unRAID server. Its cost efficient and it works incredibly well!

Most of the time SSD's arent used for servers. It depends on the OS your running. If it's a windows based OS, use an SSD. unRAID runs off of a flash drive.
Also the money invested in SSD's would be outrageous if that's all that was used. I would stick with just regular SATA drives for the actual data portion of it. Also SSD's are limited to a certain number of writes before their junk.

In my opinion, I would build a seperate server and used your mini ITX as an HTPC/main.

Also if running WHS, I believe an SSD will make working on it faster when doing so remotely.
Thanks for your reply DonnyP. I do plan to add more hdds in this pc, but at a later stage. Let forget the hardware and lets assume I've built this as a NAS and added the 2 hdds. Now how best can I setup a NAS that runs windows, can be used as a normal pc, but is able to distribute data around a home network?

Does windows server allow you to do that?
(2013-09-15, 22:51)htpcnas Wrote: hi guys,

Asus P8H77-I Motherboard
Samsung 840 SSD

Yes. NAS duties generally arent that cpu intensive and dont require user intervention once setup (eg file shares) or can be controlled remotely via a webui (eg rutorrent). You can use eventghost to make it more seamless, eg a button on your remote to start xbmc, or advanced launcher to launch programs from within xbmc.
Brilliant, thanks teeedubb. Now what should i use software wise? Windows or Windows Server? Which is better and why?
(2013-09-15, 23:46)htpcnas Wrote: Thanks for your reply DonnyP. I do plan to add more hdds in this pc, but at a later stage. Let forget the hardware and lets assume I've built this as a NAS and added the 2 hdds. Now how best can I setup a NAS that runs windows, can be used as a normal pc, but is able to distribute data around a home network?

Does windows server allow you to do that?

Normal versions of windows will allow you to do this.

EDIT not sure which version is better, whs may have some benefits for a home server tho.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is it possible to setup a HTPC, but with NAS software in background?0