Linux ESXi and PVR (DD Cine S2)
Hi all,

I'm having a bit of a problem trying to figure out what's the best solution adding PVR to my home, a home with 4 TVs. Today only one TV is connected to a Dreambox (sat) and the rest are connected to PlayStations, Xbox and whatnot.

First thing first. I'm using ESXi v5.1 U1 on the following hardware
Tyan S5512 Motherboard
Intel Xeon E3124
32 GB ECC RAM
2x IBM M1015

All this in a Norco 2440.

The two IBM M1015 are passthroughed for use with unRAID VM for storage.
Other VMs I'm running is
pfSense v2.0 RC0.
Ubuntu Server with Plex Media Server, SABnzbd, Deluge, APCUPSD and VPN Client.
Windows Server 2012 running Exchange Server 2013.

I'm going to add a VM running Ubuntu for XBMC DB/MySQL.

Now I'm thinking about adding a DD Cine S2 v6.5 to the mix and passthrough it to a VM running Ubuntu Server with TVHeadEnd as backend. As frontend I'm going to use XBMC. I'm running OpenELEC on one computer today but want to expand to a total of four XBMCs (maybe Raspberry Pi?). For serving four TVs/XBMCs with... TV, I guess only one DD Cine S2 will fall short. Adding a DD Cine S2 "sister card" will solve this, right (making a total of four tuners)?

Has anyone managed to passthrough a DD Cine S2 card?

I'm also thinking about recording/pausing TV. Storing the recorded data directly on unRAID might not be a good idea due to slow write (worm) and slow spin-up times (no cache drive). What is the preferred way of storing recordings? What is the file size of one hour 1080p show?

Any tips, pointers and advice are more than welcomed. Smile
I got the card today and I had no troubles with passthrough. No problems with drivers in Windows 7 either but getting the card to work in Ubuntu with TVHeadend is something I have not figured out. Not a lot of info out there and the info is mainly in German.

Anyone here that successfully have managed to get this card to work with Ubuntu?
(2013-09-19, 23:54)mjorud Wrote: I got the card today and I had no troubles with passthrough. No problems with drivers in Windows 7 either but getting the card to work in Ubuntu with TVHeadend is something I have not figured out. Not a lot of info out there and the info is mainly in German.

Anyone here that successfully have managed to get this card to work with Ubuntu?

Hi
Do the following to get the DD CineS2 to work:

# sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yavdr/main
# sudo apt-get update
# sudo apt-get remove linux-media-dkms
# sudo apt-get install media-build-experimental-dkms

In addition you'll need the Firmware "ngene_15.fw" and/or "ngene_18.fw" - copy them to /lib/firmware

# sudo init 6

If you need to do it from scratch - try this VDR-Portal

Good luck!
Thanks. Smile
I have tried this and several other methods without luck. I get i2c Timeouts after I install the drivers.

I'm going to try on another computer.
I tried on another computer running bare Ubuntu. Worked great.
Today, after google translating a bunch of german forums I found a thread that recommended adding pci=nomsi to grub. Did this and booted... no more i2c timeouts AND I found the card in TVHeadEnd. Smile

No idea what pci=nomsi does but it did the trick.
I have a similar card v6.2

lspci -v
Code:
04:00.0 Multimedia controller: Device dd01:0003
Subsystem: Device dd01:0020
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 10
Memory at febf0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
Capabilities:

All i needed to do for VDR was
add-apt-repository ppa:yavdr/main
apt-get update
apt-get install linux-media-dkms

Can you update this thread with some details on how everything performs. I'm really interested in a whitebox with vt-d & a TV card.
Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
I have been using XBMC (OE 12.2) as frontend and TVHeadEnd as backend (on the hardware stated in post #1) for the past two weeks. It has been working flawlessly. Smile
My only problem is that I have not been able to deinterlace the streams but I guess that's HTPCs (Zotac ND22) fault?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ESXi and PVR (DD Cine S2)0