Best Windows PVR Backend (Your choice and why!)
hi hodges, you have to use the special pvr builds from margo. than timeshift and switching time is as good/fast as with mediaportal client. at the moment i have mp tv server, mp client, xbmc installed and can compare very easily....
Does EyeTV support everything TV and PVR related in XBMC?
I'm really happy with WMC on Windows 8.1 as a backend to XBMC Live TV, but there is 1 feature that does not work; the ability to properly 'timeshift'. I'm not sure if that's the right word for it (new to PVR's). What does work in regards to time-shifting:

1. Start watching Live TV. Pause, rewind, fast forward.
2. Schedule Recordings to watch later.

What doesn't work:
3. Schedule or start a recording, and start playing before the recording is complete.

Are there any windows backends that allow for option 3?
snoxbox - assuming you are currently using serverwmc - you need to download the newest client builds from our download page to get item 3. These addon changes didn't get into gotham.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
Awesome. Thanks krustyreturns. I'm unable to update to Gotham yet (waiting for the OpenElec dual audio patch), but hopefully it won't be too much longer.
Just got a tuner and looking what back end to use (argus/WMC seems to be the favourites here).

Is the general performance of pvr in xbmc slow without margo's builds? Plus is it possible to switch to margo's builds without losing all my addons + xbmc settings:?
I'm using DVBViewer backend - just because it works very well for me (with 2 CAM - MTD,...) as well as perfect channel switching times.

here a short demo video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApOmlmC0Etg
Right now I am using NextPVR because it's the only one aside from the WMC add on that can do a series recording right from XBMC and it has been pretty rock solid.
I want to use MythTV and switch my server to all linux but the cmyth add on can not do series recordings and my wife would never go for scheduling recordings from the mythweb interface. Other option I guess is to just run the myth front end instead of XBMC but not sure if that would work well on a NUC.
Might be a good place to ask this

I am looking at exactly this requirement for a windows based setup and have kept an eye on developments but it still seems it "works" but isn't fully functional no matter which combo you choose.

I currently have a 4ch DTV tuner in my windows server which uses Media Portal to manage the TV. I have SQL server all setup and working and has been for 6 years perfectly. The "issue" is that I use XBMC on 3 HTPC machines in the house but have to switch to media portal front end just for live TV recordings.

What I want to know is how close are the following features in XBMC as in the past to install the XBMC plugin for MP it breaks the MP front end:

1. Access server and watch a live TV stream
2. Can view complete TV guide and select any show to set recording of single show, series with episode management to keep buffer of shows
3. Switch through live TV channels (speed not a concern) both SD/HD
4. Pause/Rew current live TV stream
5. Complete compatibility with comskip files (XBMC does this anyway)
6. Search for shows and schedule
7. Delete shows from browser
8. Arrange recordings by channel/record date

I really only use it as a PVR but the main thing is it works perfectly, reliably and doesn't skip or do anything other than you would expect and is simple for the family to use. I have no interest to integrate the recorded shows to my library and really the only thing I do not like is the fact I have to maintain media portal along with XBMC. I'd love to have everything "in the box" so to speak but keep as much of what I currently do as possible.

Additional features that would be nice but not fussed as I don't have these currently:

- Remote management of EPG recordings and schedules via smartphone
- Remotely watch Live TV and access recordings (I have other apps I can access recordings and videos with so not that fussed)
- Auto scheduling of "similar" shows such as documentaries
- Searching and listing results based on actor or other data...
(2013-12-11, 00:43)drpizznock Wrote: I use WMC. It's the only option for cablecard copy-once/copy-never content

Is this still true?
I think I've found the holy grail in backends for Uk Sky/freesat users. Djblu's media portal backend is the most automated out there. It updates EPG and channel tunning from ota data so no more messing around scanning transponders when channels switch. I was using MCE but I got annoyed with it rearranging random channels at random after spending best part of a day with guidetool sorting them out. This was the reason I dumped MCE all those years ago and switched to xbmc and linux! Now im playing around with windows again so cant use tvh. Will post links and some instructions if anyone is interested / stuck with how to get MP sky EPG working.
I am also using mediaportal with the grabber mentioned above - not only does it automate epg and tuning it also grabs channel logos for you and is very stable on my machine
As a SageTV user for years (server and multiple clients). I've really struggled to find a suitable replacement that maintains most of the functionality, especially the scheduling and searching functions. After trying most of the options mentioned previously I've settled on an Argus TV backend and Kodi frontend.

We simply do all our scheduling via the web interface and dont bother trying in Kodi.

Argus TV as everyone has stated is rock solid and really not that difficult to setup if you follow the various guides and give yourself time to do it. The one really big advantage over SageTV is the ability to record multiple channels concurrently on one tuner. I have 2 x quad DVB-T2 tuners but very rarely now we use more than a few tuners

Lack of client/server functionality is a pain. I took for granted with SageTV that I could part watch a recording on one client and continue were I left of later in a different room/client. But I here this will come eventually with Kodi.

I just hope support for Argus TV is developed into the future, I've just tried to update a test client to Kodi v15 but this seemed to break the Argus TV PVR plugin so I had to revert to 14.2 Really hope its not a view of what's to come !!
On Windows, Argus TV. Works very well with 2x 292e tuners. Only thing you have to do is make sure the windows 15.6mS default timer tick doesn't cause dropouts in recording (see http://www.argus-tv.com/forum/viewtopic....758#p37758 for a solution - probably only affects USB tuners).

Rock solid, never misses a beat, SD and HD. Only problem is that it does not appear to be being developed at the moment. There are a few minor points that need fixing, nothing major, but it is worrying that the project is asleep.

Tried NextPVR and WMC first, but Argus was the solution I arrived at.

Off subject, but just putting together a Linux box as a standalone unit used for nothing else, and on that am using MythTV which basically works after a LOT of fiddling. Various issues, not least that it seems that if one is grabbing the EPG from the transmitted stream one cannot get that to work AND have it shutdown when idle. I hope I'm wrong about that. Also, cannot get any DVB/T2 HD channels at the moment.
(2015-01-27, 01:46)Morphy99 Wrote: Will post links and some instructions if anyone is interested / stuck with how to get MP sky EPG working.

I'd be very interested in this!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Windows PVR Backend (Your choice and why!)0