• 8(current)
[WIP] Multi Slideshow Screensaver
Sadly in the same boat, Fanart works great, I have my pictures on a local USB Drive but all I get is the spinning wheel of death nothing happens for a long time.
Huh

(2015-09-14, 15:28)cw-kid Wrote:
(2015-09-14, 12:05)harrybowls Wrote: Great plugin, but I cannot get it to work in Kodi 15.0 – Isengard, I get Multiple Slide Show Error at the top of the screen.

It worked on older builds.

I don't get a script error, just the spinning wheel of death.

Add-on is set to point to my Pictures folder on the SMB share.

EDIT: If I set the add-on to use Movies Fanart instead it works OK.

I am on Windows 10 / Kodi v15.1 Isengard, but I copied over my old Userdata folder from Helix.
Is this screensaver still being developed? I've ran into a problem and need some help. I have it set to use the TABLEDROP style, and have it using my TV shows fan art for the source. It works great for awhile, then locks up my PI2 completely and I have to power cycle it. I'm not sure if it's the screensaver, or a particular image that's causing the lock up. I've sat and watched it, sometimes it will do it right away, like 10 images in, other times it will run for 10 minutes before crashing. I'm still very new to Raspberry Pi and Kodi, and don't know how to look and see what I can do to fix it.
I have been working on this source code for a while now as like most others I found it was not working out of the box but the screensaver is probably one of the best around, especially for personal photo library and also personal music collection cd art.

I have added code to mainly deal with some issues I found or features I wanted:

1, Recursing through folders to get the full list of images was not working well
I am not really sure why this was as the code looked ok, the only thing I found was the '/'s were kind of getting added when not required etc and therefore some strange things were happening, but this may have been restricted to my windows kodi. I have this working perfectly now, I have yet to test it on my Android AFTV and suspect it will need some more work.

2, Access files on an smb share
This essentially meant using xbmcvfs python library instead of the standard file library which does not work with smb.
To use this just have to put the smb link in the settings.xml. I need to to look at allowing this in the dialog.

3, On TableDrop support for different image sizes
All the screensavers assume a fixed ratio, which is fine for say gridswitch but for my photo library photos are all different sizes.
This was particularly challenging as I could not use any python libraries for getting image sizes as they don't work with smb, I also tried to access the cached image as this was reported in kodi log the size but could not find any way to do this. In the end I opened the file manually with xbmcvfs and had to read the headers byte for byte to extract image sizes, this is quite easy for png and gif, but not so for jpeg. I have this working pretty good now, I need to load in my entire library and check I can read every image size just to be sure it is fully working. It detected a png that was named jpg so that was good.

4, On all modes, add a small delay before starting
As files can now be on smb, need time to cache the first image so added a small delay to the start of each screen saver.

5, On Tabledrop I tweaked the randomised sizes
This was to generate a more consistent result which IMO looks better.

6, Speed
All the changes I made I took account as much as possible performance, CPU spikes are minimal but again yet to test on AFTV.

I am working with kodi 15.2.

I have not made enough posts to pm Sphere, but would like permission from Sphere before I post any code up here.

cw-kid/joesucks, think your issue relates to the problems I found in point 1, when I fixed this in windows suddenly it was really fast to find all images.

hansolo77, turn on debugging, it will tell you last image loaded before failing, then stick that image in a separate folder and point MSS at that folder and start it again, see if it fails, if yes, could well be some images you have.

Ex
Is there an update for this or is this still the original 0.1.0 version which has never worked for me. I have FTV and would love to get it working on that!

TY
Glad to see some work being done on this plugin. Is there a download link or something? Or is it in the official repo?

Happy to test it out.

Thanks
(2015-10-31, 22:12)teredactle Wrote: Is there an update for this or is this still the original 0.1.0 version which has never worked for me. I have FTV and would love to get it working on that!

TY

I have only worked on the code from 0.1.0 which I think is the same as the official repo.

Ex
(2015-11-01, 09:30)cw-kid Wrote: Glad to see some work being done on this plugin. Is there a download link or something? Or is it in the official repo?

Happy to test it out.

Thanks

I am happy to post up here but would like Sphere to ok that first since it is his code.

Ex
Paging @shpere
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2015-10-31, 20:50)ex_directory Wrote: I have not made enough posts to pm Sphere, but would like permission from Sphere before I post any code up here.

Hi,

I didn't know there is a limit, sorry...
Just have a look to the LICENSE, you can do whatever you want with my code (so yes, ofc you have my permission) Smile
And btw, by email-address is also included Wink

Good that anyone is working on this, currently I just dont have enough time to improve this add-on. Just do whatever you like, add your name to the add-on (if you want ofc) and request a pull into the official repository if you think that your improvements are useful for others.
If you want me to have a look to your changes or have specific questions, just open a PR/issue on github.

regards,
sphere
My GitHub. My Add-ons:
(2015-11-01, 13:46)sphere Wrote: Just have a look to the LICENSE, you can do whatever you want with my code (so yes, ofc you have my permission) Smile

Thanks Sphere, I saw the GNU license but respectfully wanted to ask first!

Will post up my changes shortly.
For anyone interested please find version 0.1.1 here

0.1.1 (01.11.2015)
- Recursing through folders to get the full list of images was not working well
- Access files on an smb share (uses xbmcvfs python library)
- On TableDrop support for different image sizes
- On all modes, add a small delay before starting
- Tweaked the randomised sizes on Tabledrop
- Added a label to display how many images loaded and time taken

I loaded 6000 images in about 2.2 secs on a synology nas drive over a 100mbit lan.

This is only tested on Windows, still need to test on AFTV (Android).

Ex
Forgot to say, to use samba, just put something like this in the addon settings.xml

Code:
<setting value="smb://192.168.1.1/photo/" id="image_path"/>

Note the '/' at the end is required I think.
I have now tested this on AFTV, works ok but for some reason instead of 2 secs it now takes 29 secs to load the same number of images.

I think I just found out why maybe some of you were suffering with slow load times at screensaver startup.

I need to do some searching to find out why this may be, both the AFTV on my windows set-up are wireless connnected to the nas (via SMB).

As a note I had to add this to addon.xml (AFTV is Helix 14.2)

Code:
<import addon="script.module.simplejson" version="3.3.0" optional="true"/>

Ex
OK, every day is a learning day...

Samba (the linux implementation of SMB) apparently has some high protocol overhead, so trying to access 6000 files was then very slow.

NFS is better, I just posted over in the support thread with some more details.

To use NFS, I enabled it on the NAS and then changed settings as follows:
Code:
<setting id="image_path" value="nfs://192.168.1.1/volume1/Photo/" />

Worked first time except the synology stores thumbnails so I tweaked the script to ignore "@eaDir" files/folders.

Time to load 6000 images as follows:

SMB (Windows7, 15.1, wireless 802.11n) : 2.4s
Samba (AFTV, 14.2, wireless 2.4GHz): 31.21s
NFS (Without @eaDir fix, 14.2, wireless 2.4GHz): 93.78s
NFS (With @eaDir fix, 14.2, wireless 2.4GHz): 4.59s

I will post an updated screensaver again soon when I add some other useful features.
(2015-11-04, 23:21)ex_directory Wrote: Time to load 6000 images as follows:

SMB (Windows7, 15.1, wireless 802.11n) : 2.4s
Samba (AFTV, 14.2, wireless 2.4GHz): 31.21s
NFS (Without @eaDir fix, 14.2, wireless 2.4GHz): 93.78s
NFS (With @eaDir fix, 14.2, wireless 2.4GHz): 4.59s

I will post an updated screensaver again soon when I add some other useful features.

Thanks for the work on this, two questions.

1.The new version, do we need to download and manually install, or will checking for updates in Kodi pull it automatically?
2.Is the SMB process differently than the "Picture Slideshow Screensaver" addon? This works fine for me on FTV (well also on OE actually), but the Multi Slideshow (0.1.0) gives me the problems.

I'm on a wired connections on all my boxes.

Thanks in advance!
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WIP] Multi Slideshow Screensaver2