Scraper and Library Mode
I know you can get this to work with RCB, but I would prefer the regular "library" XBMC offers. I thought I read somewhere that this new "game" mode with retroplayer will be able to use scrapers and your games can be viewed just like your movie library. Or is that not implemented yet? When it's merged, perhaps this feature will be included?

Thanks!
patches welcome. this is something i would like to see as well, and will probably have a hand in creating
I know EmuMovies and Hyperspin have a huge archive of videos and art. SD for free HD for membership. Maybe they have a database you could reference for scraping? Thats what I was using prior to Retroplayer being moved into XBMC so I already have the artwork/movies
No, no manually adding this content is not what I had in mind. Yes, you can download the files there. But I'm talking about scraping it from sites like: http://thegamesdb.net/ , that is what I thought I read about somewhere. Personally, I think videos are overkill but that could just be me. And if it was being scraped, I don't know how "videos" would work anyway.

If this really is being merged then it's just a matter of time before somebody jumps on this. I wish I knew something about coding otherwise I'd love to help.

...I guess I thought this feature was already further along then this...? oops.

P.S. THANKS garbear!!!! This is seriously so cool, I tried out some SNES games on my windows machine. And it worked fine, I wasn't able to really do any more testing then that. XBMC really has come full circle thanks to you. My heart was broken when support for Xbox1 was discontinued from the main branch. Thanks again!
(2013-09-18, 04:57)dickalan Wrote: No, no manually adding this content is not what I had in mind. Yes, you can download the files there. But I'm talking about scraping it from sites like: http://thegamesdb.net/ , that is what I thought I read about somewhere. Personally, I think videos are overkill but that could just be me. And if it was being scraped, I don't know how "videos" would work anyway.

Nice, didnt even know that site was out there. That's a much better option.
much effort has already been put into creating a thegamesdb scraper, albeit for a futuristic python-based scraper system called Heimdall created by topfs2.

A big problem with scraping games is guessing the platform. A couple months ago I started PyRomInfo as a plugin for Heimdall. For most of the supported platforms (currently gb, gba, genesis, ms, nes, n64, snes) i was able to program in magic-word detection, so the platform can be guessed simply on the binary data alone. This will help for games with a .bin or .iso extension. With a scraper as smart as Heimdall, we start to approach a scenario where scanning is unnecessary; simply adding the source will be all that is needed to populate your entire library.

Speaking of thegamesdb, I noticed they are running a fundraiser. For the future of RetroPlayer and the XBMC games library, I hope they do well Smile
As the owner of thegamesdb.net, I support these posts. Smile I'm a huge fan of XBMC, and I hoped that one day game support would be added to it. The whole reason I created thegamesdb.net was for this type thing. Scraping high quality art and metadata to front-end's like XBMC.
thegamesdb.net - An open video games database.
scottbrant.net - Blog
garbear Wrote:For most of the supported platforms (currently gb, gba, genesis, ms, nes, n64, snes) i was able to program in magic-word detection
Just curious: are the not supported platforms just not yet implemented or don't they support being detected by PyRomInfo at all?
i was working on PSX roms, then got bored with ISO9660 parsing and switched to another project Smile
This should allow any media to have a video-like library : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=165929
Admin @ Passion-XBMC
(official french community)
Garbear I'm sure this has been asked before but have you any intention of including Hyperspin style preview videos for the games?
(2015-08-19, 17:46)Nic Nac Wrote: Garbear I'm sure this has been asked before but have you any intention of including Hyperspin style preview videos for the games?

This is a matter of skinning and library design. Development really isn't at the stage where this kind of thing is worth talking about, because things can change between now and then.
(2015-08-19, 19:57)natethomas Wrote:
(2015-08-19, 17:46)Nic Nac Wrote: Garbear I'm sure this has been asked before but have you any intention of including Hyperspin style preview videos for the games?

This is a matter of skinning and library design. Development really isn't at the stage where this kind of thing is worth talking about, because things can change between now and then.

Cool - Once upon a time when the Mame front end just had a list of games it was difficult to know what you were actually about to play - apart from the ones you obviously remembered. If some of the skinners will be able to incorperate video previews it would really make it sing as well as adding a great deal of functionality imo. Anyway, I suppose it's way down the list of priorities.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Scraper and Library Mode0