what hardware to get?? Xbmc n00b!
I won't go into detail, but maybe you should also check out the little black box. It's from a dutch company.
http://www.thelittleblackbox.nl/
(2013-09-20, 11:04)Nu7s Wrote: I won't go into detail, but maybe you should also check out the little black box. It's from a dutch company.
http://www.thelittleblackbox.nl/

Thanks, I'll check it out! Its Dutch so it must be good!! Wink)

Update: Looks really promising but if I'm not mistaken its not out yet! I cant order it online and the site says preorders are closed!
(2013-09-20, 12:49)BigX84 Wrote: Dutch so it must be good!! Wink)

It Ain't Much If It Ain't Dutch Big Grin
(2013-09-20, 11:02)BigX84 Wrote: @Jungario: Thanks for your input, its appreciated! I took a look into this solution but eventually figured its a bit too much for me! Especially the PlayOn solution sounds pretty cool but especially when your from the States! I still need my own Dutch television and I wont really watch the US tv senders anyway except maybe for Live NBA! =))

@Lukas: I think I found something that suits my needs! =)) First of all i decided to drop netflix! I emailed some retailers of the Android devices (MX7 Android box, Minix X5/X7) and they all advised to stream with XBMC but to use another player (eg MX player) for downloaded movies and series in 1080p! So It really seems as if an integrated XBMC/netflix combo on an android device is so far out of the question.

What I'm planning to do now is run XBMC on a Raspbmc/OpenElenec/Xbian Raspberry Pi to get a well functioning XBMC which works also with 1080p and 5.1/DTS. For the downloading of my own movies and TV series I want to use a Couchpotato/Sickbeard/Sabnzbd combo (all on a Windows 7 laptop) + HDD/NAS to fully automize the whole download process. These movies/Tv series I also want to watch in XBMC something the android devices also couldnt fully do! I've already installed Couchpotato, Sickbeard and Sabnzbd on my laptop and played around a bit and it seems to work great! Now all I need is a good device to run XBMC on and the Raspberry Pi is mentioned here multiple times!

- What is the best OS for the Raspberry Pi to get the best XBMC experience (Openelenec, Xbian, Raspbmc??) and does it matter if the laptop runs Windows 7??
- Is there another device (no HTPC) which works better then RasPi and maybe handles skins better??

Thanks guys!!

The best OS for RasPi, thats a hard question... I dont really tested OpenElec and Raspbmc [from Sam Nazarko], but I liked and use the XBIAN, and it fits my needs.

Another device, Apple TV 1 Gen + Broadcom Crystal HD + Crystalbuntu 2.0 [from Sam Nazarko] suits all my needs and is P-E-R-F-E-C-T for me. It has an internal HDD, so I set up a samba share to copy my files into it from my laptop.

My only con? RasPi uses 5 Watts, AppleTV 1Gen uses 35-48 Watts...

I do want to sell both devices and build an HTPC powered with a SSD and an i3, install 'win' and add netflix support, low energy, thin, ultra fast power on and off. But I'm from Brazil, and things here are expensive, very expensive, so thats a future dream.

I will try to make a video and post on youtube showing both devices.
[Xgimi Z6 Polar]
[Xiaomi Mi Box]
[Raspberry Pi 3 B]
I tried all 3 of them, I settled on raspbmc from Sam Nazarko also, not that the others are less good not at all, I find it more beginner friendly, it has an awesome program built-in that will let you very easily overclock you rpi ( i put it to: super, it is stable, FASTER with no problems and no heatsinks ) and it will let you input very easily the codecs mpg2 and vc1 from the raspberry store ( that you would want to purchase, I paid 3 british pounds for them last week for my THIRD rpi).
Couple of tips :
-Do use a fast usb 3 flash drive in the rapsberry pi for the the raspbmc installation, it does make quite a difference no real need for a fast class 10 sd card, I am using a 4gb class 4 kingston, it will be used only for the boot sequence, the rest of the process will be handled in the usb 3 flash drive and that is why it will be a snappier experience. Again the usb installation is very easily done with the raspbmc installer.
-With the use of a usb flash, the skin that comes with the raspbmc is quite good and fast, however if you do want some rapsberry pi lighter "approved skins" this is an article written by a dutchman: "I am living in The Netherlands and the proud owner of an Raspberry Pi device" that will lead you to such skins ( quartz is good) AND to dutch programing repos and addons among other European programings :
http://superrepo.org/get-started/how-to-...ositories/
-I use mickey1234 advanced xml from the xbmchub maintenance repo/ tweaks, I found it reduced quite a bit the bufferings while streaming.
Side note: I do have an Astraweb subscription,I used SABnzbd, Sickbeard, Couchpotato and Headphones for quite some time, well I don't any more, simply because everything I want from a multimedia point of view is readily available from xbmc, if it is on the usenet chances are it is on xbmc too, but that's just me.
Cheers
XBIAN worked so much better for me, I tried to try Raspbmc but it required internet coneection at that time, doesnt know now... Xbian has a unique settings menu that also lets you easily put your paid codes for hardware decode of vc-1 and mpg, I also use a 2 GB class 4 microSD card, tried a 2GB class 10, no big diferences.

=D

[already made the video, I'm uploading it right now.]

Update: Video uploaded.
[Xgimi Z6 Polar]
[Xiaomi Mi Box]
[Raspberry Pi 3 B]
Lukas and Jungario! Thanks very much you guys! I managed to borrow a RasPi on OpenELEC from a friend to see if I like it and and got everything setup now! Couchpotato, Sickbeard and Sabnzbd are working nicely and I'm using my Playon HD2 as a external HDD for storage! Very happy so far! Nice video Lukas and thanks for introducing me in the world of XBMC!!
Glad to be of help, indeed a beautiful video from Lukas!
XBMC is without doubt a great entertainment wonder.
Cheers
I'm glad my video was helpful. Thank you all. =D
[Xgimi Z6 Polar]
[Xiaomi Mi Box]
[Raspberry Pi 3 B]
Well a slightly different approach but works well for me. I have an old desktop pc located in a spare bedroom away from my main TV. It has a 2GB drive that I use to store media. That folder is shared in Windows XP (I told you it was old). Then I use my android phone or tablet with free software called "Bubble" get it from android play store. This streams content from my home pc to my tv.
My TV is not a smart TV, but I use an HTC media link plugged in to the tv hdmi port and bubble streams to this but no media content goes through the Android system, it is directly from home PC to HTC media link.

Play back is fantastic provided the media file type is supported by bubble.

For Netflix USA you could look in to "Hola" again on android or Windows Chrome or Firefox plug in.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
what hardware to get?? Xbmc n00b!0