Linux Radeon Vdpau Support
Hey all,

Just wanted to let you know that Linux Radeon Vdpau seems to be working quite nicely for me. I bought a new Saphire fanless Radeon 7750 (I wanted uvd3 support for potentially supporting 3d video). The 7750 is a GCN (graphics core next) card. GCN is a new hardware architecture for AMD, so I expect them to put most of their new development into this type of card.

Initially I tried with Mesa 9.2 and Kernel 3.11.1, video worked great but audio wasn't working. I know that the AMD open source developers have been revamping the HDMI audio support (they just recently finally got documentation), so I tried Linux 3.12-rc1 and lo and behold audio was working.

The good stuff:

Open Source
Vdpau supported through libvdpau
UVD3 - Graphics Core Next (potentially accelerating 3d video)
Xbmc is compiled the same for Radeon/Vdpau the same as it is for Nvidia/Vdpau
Hardware accelerated X264 decode
Hardware Accelerated MPEG decode
Hardware Accelerated VC-1 decode
Mesa 9.2/Linux 3.11+ handles power management for the Radeons now (they throttle down for lower power consumption/heat)

What needs work:
hdmi-passthrough (I am quite confident that this will be accomplished now that the developers have proper documentation)
vdpau based deinterlacing (Just turn on "auto" deinterlacing and it will deinterlace fine using the cpu for now)

This is SO much better than the Catalyst/Xvba solution (I tried Catalyst/Xvba on the 7750 and it was quite a mess, even though I have Catalyst/Xvba working well on my notebook).

If AMD continues to improve the open source drivers at their current rate, I think we'll have a real winner in late 2014 when they release Arm64/Radeon chips.

Pretty much any of the AMD APU's starting with the E350 should work just fine.
I've heard from some other threads that sometimes there are hangs and video playback issue with VDPAU on radeon. Have you experienced anything thus far?
I tried to get it going on a minimal ubuntu installation but didn't have any succes.
One time I finally managed to run xbmc but after upgrading the kernel to 3.11.1 everything stopped working again Undecided
It seems like the drivers work but xbmc just shows a black screen (or a messed up home screen, and then it freezes).
AMD Vdpau support for XBMC

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Linux Radeon Vdpau Support0