OS X Interface
Hi there first time caller long time listener, but I can't get past the setup screens in XBMC frodo or gotham. I don't have a TV remote control to work with, just a MBA Smile so I don't know how I set paths to media or do anything else really. The remote mouse cursor tracks no where near the real mouse, and i can't even get the remote mouse cursor below the halfway point of my screen. To make matters worse, I am using ARD to connect to the server that I want to install this on, and there is a terrible lag when XBMC is running. If there was a flat file I could edit to the same thing, I would rather do that. Well, hope to get some help here, thx in advance.
ps. I am installing this media center to see if can replace a working PLEX install. The wireless performance of PLEX is poor, and I am hoping XBMC is better.
You can use a keyboard. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=117985. There are some other threads as well. This was just the first one in the google search.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
The issue is that you're trying to remote on using VNC/ARD.

XBMC most likely won't be any different than Plex for wireless performance, though. Plex uses XBMC as a base for their OS X clients still, so it should be about the same.
(2013-09-19, 04:06)Ned Scott Wrote: The issue is that you're trying to remote on using VNC/ARD.

XBMC most likely won't be any different than Plex for wireless performance, though. Plex uses XBMC as a base for their OS X clients still, so it should be about the same.

Thanks NED. Well, it was suggested to me by others to try XBMC. The only problem I have in plex is that movies/tvshows will buffer and die often in the middle. Also, fast forwarding and pausing will also kill the program being aired (PLEX just skips to the next show).

On ARD, I just checked, and even locally the remote mouse interface does not work at all really. The pointer lags behind the real mouse cursor and it won't cover more than ½ the screen. Perhaps it's because I am using an unmentionable unreleased version of OSX on the server box (an older MBP)?

Regardless, unless there is a normal mouse / trackpad interface to this server, then I won't be using it. But thx for your help, much appreciated!!!
jigs

(2013-09-19, 03:13)wgstarks Wrote: You can use a keyboard. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=117985. There are some other threads as well. This was just the first one in the google search.

thx WG, u mean there is no real mouse interface to this beast? that's nuts! I get stuck first with browsing for a media path. I don't want to add paths one keystroke at a time. I just want to point to the DIR using technology that's been in service for decades. ha!
I don't get your strange setup. Once and for all. XBMC is ment to run on a dedicated HTPC or whatever box connected to a TV and controlled via a remote control or remote control app (smartphone, tablet).

I will never get why users are trying to do something with remote desktops, vnc and shit and expect it to be usable. Reconsider your use case if possible.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2013-09-19, 09:50)Memphiz Wrote: I don't get your strange setup. Once and for all. XBMC is ment to run on a dedicated HTPC or whatever box connected to a TV and controlled via a remote control or remote control app (smartphone, tablet).

I will never get why users are trying to do something with remote desktops, vnc and shit and expect it to be usable. Reconsider your use case if possible.

Strange setup? I guess I don't understand what XBMC is then. I thought it was a media server, for whatever device... or a limited set of them. And I never log into a server, of any kind, I always use "remote desktops, vmc and shit." Why would you ever log directly onto the machine itself, except maybe to repair it? But anyway, the though here was to use a mac mini as the HTPC running OSX Mavericks and serving attached media drives and libraries. I am doing this now in PLEX, and just wanted to see what another approach might perform/look like. I've apparently come to the wrong app.
Confused
The point is, herojig, I don't think XBMC is intended to be normally operated on the HTPC via a remote VNC connection from another computer (although I can do this using Screen Sharing, and it works fine, so there may be some problem with your setup).

You just turn on your HTPC and XBMC if it doesn't come on automatically (My Harmony remote starts both the Mac mini and XBMC at the same time). You control it with an infrared remote control, keyboard (I sometimes use a bluetooth keyboard), or yes, controlling it with a mouse/trackpad also works (although it's pretty tough to type with one).
LibreELEC 10.0.4 * ViMediaManager or TinyMediaManager | Raspberry pi 4b
Sharing media from NAS via NFS (optical out to receiver, HDMI to TV) | TV remote with CEC / Bluetooth keyboard
(2013-09-19, 05:31)herojig Wrote: thx WG, u mean there is no real mouse interface to this beast? that's nuts! I get stuck first with browsing for a media path. I don't want to add paths one keystroke at a time. I just want to point to the DIR using technology that's been in service for decades. ha!

Actually I've never had any real problems using VNC. The cursor does lag a few milliseconds behind if I use it, but I find it much easier to use the direction arrows and keyboard shortcuts that I posted the link to. As far as the file paths you can just use the browser and select the location of source. You shouldn't have to add anything manually other than user names / passwords if you use them.

Your choice though.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
(2013-09-19, 13:00)Glorious1 Wrote: The point is, herojig, I don't think XBMC is intended to be normally operated on the HTPC via a remote VNC connection from another computer (although I can do this using Screen Sharing, and it works fine, so there may be some problem with your setup).

You just turn on your HTPC and XBMC if it doesn't come on automatically (My Harmony remote starts both the Mac mini and XBMC at the same time). You control it with an infrared remote control, keyboard (I sometimes use a bluetooth keyboard), or yes, controlling it with a mouse/trackpad also works (although it's pretty tough to type with one).

Thx Glorious, I am getting the picture now with help found here Smile There must be a bug in my setup that is lagging the two mouse pointers so that one is say on top of the screen and the other is at the mid point. Impossible to use. The browse click also does not work, it just presents a TV remote input keyboard, which have always made me cringe. I can't just point to my media, I have to type in the path one key at a time. So again, thx!

Ps. I see you are in Colorado, and I hope you are dry. I am an ex-resident of Lyons and surrounding areas, and was amazed to see all the damage done there recently. We get stuff like that here in Nepal, but usually there is nothing of value that's washed away, unless you consider the already bad roads and other substandard jungle infrastructure.
Its ment to be a Media Center not a Media Server (like plex does it). You install xbmc on the htpc or settopbox (atv2, android Box - whatever) and Access Media from your Nas, Server, Webstreaming Provider using Common Network protocols. Xbmc is the Media Library and Player in one piece...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Interface0