FutureTV -- Stealing XBMC and reselling it.
Is futuretv available in US with US content? Forgive my ignorance
Oh wow.. lets hope a mod takes care of that post promoting their site, to charge and lie to people the way they are is just garbage, good to see some users did some searching and found their way here

People, don't give them any more advertising and especially your money
@ garyedwardjohns, Your post can easily be compared to a pile of $H!T
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
Nonsense.
Changed an established product, known for being opensource to your brand, because you think xbmc as a name sucks?
Pull the other one.
coupled with emotional pleas?
XBMC changes it's name to future tv and you have what? the hard work of a community now associated with a scam artist.
I'm fascinated by people like this. Does he truly believe what he wrote? Or is he operating off of sheer, self-conscious manipulation? Probably some combination of the two, I guess. But sometimes another's delusions can be sobering in the light of day --- it boggles my mind that this guy might sincerely believe he's "making the world a better place" by charging hapless customers tons of money for a completely free piece of software. That his configuring said free software and genuinely stretching the bounds of 'fair use' is not just profiting for him, but is in fact making the world a better place. I'd wager the world is what it is right now because of how easily people convince themselves that their predatory behavior is somehow beneficial to us all.

Food for thought. Terrifying, dyspeptic food, but interesting nonetheless.
(2014-03-11, 01:54)garyedwardjohns Wrote: Dear fellow computer geek:

I love XBMC and the entire open source community. Without them, FUTURE TV wouldn't exist.

How do you support the open source community, specifically XBMC? Do you contribute code? Do you rigorously test and report bugs? Donations?
Cool the hate guys. There is nothing illegal or immoral about charging for support or installation of open source software. If you aren't particularly computer literate how much are you prepated to pay for support?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-03-14, 23:40)nickr Wrote: Cool the hate guys. There is nothing illegal or immoral about charging for support or installation of open source software. If you aren't particularly computer literate how much are you prepated to pay for support?

He is essentially re-branding XBMC as his own software!! Not just offering support...
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
I agree nickr.

I suspect that there'd be less hate if it was made clear by the guy to his customers that this is what he's doing.

Absolutely nothing wrong with charging for support - indeed, it could well be a welcome service to provide.

Just don't do it under false pretences.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I suspect he's doing more than just offering a service and rebranding though.
He first states XBMC as a name sucks. (Opinion, he's entitled to it.) Why not change to futuretv. (His brand, transferring the work of the community to himself or whomever owns the name.)
He gives a unverifiable history of himself using emotional tropes (Homeless etc.) For reasons which escape me other than an attempt to justify his actions and request.
Really ?

REALLY ?

Gary, you really are the worst kind of people there is, taking someone else work thats open and available then slapping an overpriced sticker on it and renaming it, then you got the balls to come into the forum saying that the name sucks and that you wanna make partners.

I truly hope that people see thru your scam and that it ruins you.

STOP STEALING FROM DEVELOPERS THAT PUTS IN THE EFFORT.

regards
Toast

p.s is someone is interested in rating the software or dropping a comment
https://www.facebook.com/futuretvcanada
Absolute nonsense and ridiculousness. This guy is not promoting XBMC nor offering support for xbmc, he's simply renaming xbmc and promote his own brand made up of piracy content mostly.
He doesn't advertise his service as a media platform or a way to access internet content, he expressly states his product can let you watch any movie or tvshow available for free with the false promise it is the replacement of your current tv provider and helps you save on the month bill. "With the money saved you can take your family out" as if the media he's sharing within his ridiculous brand was available for free and didn't affect other families nights out.
Moreover this guy is not even selling support, as in the case of "product failure" he points his costumers to the addon developpers or to this community.

A brief summary of my opinion about all this: I hope you get arrested soon. If that happens, you won't be homeless anymore.
I see nowhere on his facebook page where he 'promotes' XBMC...
(2014-03-11, 01:54)garyedwardjohns Wrote: First and foremost, we're saving families thousands of dollars by reducing their home entertainment bills.

We are providing impoverish families with the ultimate home entertainment experience. There is only one FUTURE TV package. Everyone gets the best of the best regardless of their income.

We support local and international charities like The XBMC Foundation.

I save families about $100 a month. Money that they can take their family out for dinner with or pay down their mortgage. I don't care what people do with their savings, I just want them to save.

This guy really thinks he's a philanthropist and Gandhi rolled into one.
Some people will BS themselves into believing just about anything to try and reconcile their obviously crappy behavior with their desire to consider themselves a "good person". Like others have said, if he was just offering support in exchange for cash, that would be fine. He's not doing that. He's basically taking money from people to give them a product they could get free elsewhere. What's more, he's actually making money helping other people (who probably don't know any better) to break the law and pirate movies and TV shows.

I think of someone like my grandmother being at the mercy of Gary. What happens when grandma gets a letter from the MPAA or RIAA? How is he going to feel then? One wonders what kind of mental gymnastics he'll whip up to square that with his "making the world a better place" delusion. If he's so interested in making the world a better place, why not offer his services for free? Hey Gary, if you feel so good about helping people and only making $120 a year, imagine how good you'd feel when they don't even have to pay that!!! Those "impoverish families" could afford more things. You want to help impoverished families don't you Gary? Don't you?

Side note... who are these "impoverished families" that have so little, yet still have the money to blow on a system with which to install Gary's overpriced... let's call it a "forgery" to be nice about it?

I would also like to add that I happen to like the name XBMC. It's like a constant reminder of where this community comes from and reminds us all to give back in the spirit of community so that we will all benefit; a notion Gary obviously isn't familiar with.

Hopefully someone will do something to shut him down soon. If any of the mods want to send a cease and desist letter, I'll happily pay the postage.
Thank you to everyone for this awesome software!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
FutureTV -- Stealing XBMC and reselling it.0