Pulseaudio for best sound and stable?!
Hallo!
I have an HDCP with Kubuntu at the bottom and Kodi and I got optical out from it to a DAC and HDMI to a Sony TV. My amplifier is only stereo, but a real good one and my loudspeakers is also very good.

The reason for my setup is though that I want the best sound for music to separate DACs, stereo. For movies, I want to be able to have the possibility to change between HDMI (to TV, for late night viewing), and Spdif to amplifier. I also need pulseaudio because sometimes I use the computer as a workstation.

I have just manage to changed the sample rate to 96000 Hz in pulsadio, but it seems to break through to hdmi too, and my TV can not receive the signal. My TV (HDMI) wants 48000 Hz. So I did some configuration.

In; /etc/pulse/daemon.conf:

default-sample-format = s32le
default-sample-rate = 96000
alternate-sample-rate = 48000
default-sample-channels = 2
default-channel-map = front-left,front-right
resample-method = speex-float-5
default-fragments = 8
default-fragment-size-msec = 10

In; /etc/pulse/default.pa:

load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:1,3 rate=48000

(adde it to the section who start with the lines: ### Load audio drivers statically)

Now in Kodi I can change between:

- default Pulseadio

- HDMI (alsa)

- SPDIF (pulseadio)

But sometimes if I change to fast the sound dropped out. I have tried to set the sample rate in only the file /etc/pulse/default.pa and disable it in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf.

Like this (in /etc/pulse/default.pa):

load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0,1 rate=48000

I have also tried to set the sample rate in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf and just add (in /etc/pulse/default.pa):

load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0,1

In both cases the pulseaudio will not start. I got only the alsa cards in Kodi, and I got the ananlog also! - and only 44.1000 Hz in audio format!

So, what I want help with, is to get stable configuration in Kodi and best sample rate. As not newbee in Linux soundsystem but not a expert either, some learning would also bee good. Al help appreciated!

This is the output from the command; aplay --list-devices, as in swedish:

kort = card

enhet =device

-------------------------

kort 0: Intel [HDA Intel], enhet 0: VT1708S Analog [VT1708S Analog]
Underordnade enheter: 1/1
Underordnad enhet nr. 0: subdevice #0
kort 0: Intel [HDA Intel], enhet 1: VT1708S Digital [VT1708S Digital]
Underordnade enheter: 0/1
kort 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], enhet 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Underordnade enheter: 1/1

-----------------------
This link http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kod...PulseAudio describes how to disable PulseAudio while running Kodi in a separate xsession. This seems to be the best approach if you want to get quality, bit-perfect audio to your external DAC or receiver. It would require you to log out of Kodi and log back into the desktop for workstation use.
Thanks for your responce pcdude.

I find an other problem also, after playing music over spdif for some hour and if the computer have gone down in sleep, the sink fall out. Why so instable?

I already have Kodi as stand alone login. I my bee try to only run alsa, but that is also a lot off configuration to get best sound quality.
I set pass through in pavucontroll for mpeg and dts (even if dts not function for my DAC).

I disabled Pulseaudio (I think) by changing in this file: /etc/pulse/client.conf

;autospawn = yes

to:

autospawn = no

And restarted my computer.

Now I can change everything directly in Kodi, passthrough, disable dts, oversampling optimized, best match ore static.

I have to change it to optimized ore best match for HDMI to my Tv every time though, but its stable know. Even change when I play music!

What I do not understand is what configuration that is bit perfect?

Optimized, 96 Hz highest sampling over spdif sounds best, at least on flac files.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pulseaudio for best sound and stable?!0