XBMCBuntu 12.2 slow start of playback
Recently I upgraded my old HTPC with a new motherboard, cpu and memory. Coming from one of the first intel atom board, I am now running on a Gigabyte GA-A75M-UD2H moetherbord with an AMD A6-3500 APU and 4GB of RAM.
I did not buy the hardware specifically for XBMC, but had it still lying around collecting dust.
Afterwards it got clear that this was a bad choice for running xbmcbuntu, as the original XBMCBuntu doesn't handle this mobo/apu so well.
Wsnipex wrote a nice and detailed how-to on how to get the proper ati drivers to let everything run smooth and fast, which it does (compared to weird behaviour with the original installer package).
All is well, apart from two things. When I try to start the playback of a video file (small or large doesn't matter at all), it can take up to 30 seconds before something happens. In the meanwhile XBMC seems frozen, not even the debug info in the top left corner changes. Second, the library update indicator is always stuck at 1% when performing library updates. Updating itself works just fine though!

With the old setup:
- Intel Atom board with 2GB of RAM
- 100MBit network connection to NAS with video files
- XBMC library running on MySQL database on that same NAS
- Playback starts withing 1-2 seconds after pressing play
- After startup XBMC properly shows the progress of the library updates

With the new setup:
- Gigabyte GA-A75M-UD2H with AMD A6-3500 APU
- 1GBit network connection to NAS with video files, averaging at ~85MB/s when transfering file between NAS and HTPC
- XBMC library running on MySQL database on that same NAS
- Playback takes around 10 to 15 seconds to starts
- After startup XBMC properly shows the progress of the library updates
- Library update progress indicator doesn't work. Stays at 1% ish although the updating itself works fine. Every new item is added to the DB.

Is anyone experiencing the same thing or can help me trying to figure out what's wrong with my htpc?
A dump of the xbmc.log can be found here.
The logfile is created by turning on debugging, restart the htpc, wait for proper boot and library updates, then started a movie.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCBuntu 12.2 slow start of playback0