New tv and XBMC box, how to get Netflix?
I've been planning to buy a tv to the bedroom as a secondary setup. Now the problem is Netflix that i need too.

Requirements and thoughts so far:

- I don't want to buy a "smart tv" just for Netflix, but if it ends up being the best solution that's what i'm going to buy + some box for XBMC
- There won't be any game console or Netflix-capable bluray-player in the bedroom
- I will not use Windows-based HTPC
- Needs to be 100% usable with remote only, for example one of the cheap Harmonies
- Fast N wifi (no ethernet cabling in the apartment)
- Refresh rate switching, i cannot watch 24hz content at 50/60hz

I was thinking about ATV2, but it won't do 24hz (correct me if i'm wrong) and it would probably need a tethered jailbreak.

Pivos XIOS/Android cannot switch refresh rate either with Android, and with Linux i loose Netflix?
I said this in another thread a few minutes ago but have you considered a Ouya? not sure about the refresh rate switching on it thou
Solar Powered Server Xubuntu 13.04 Sickbeard+Sabnzbd+Couchpotato+Headphones+mysql running @ 20 watts
Home Clients ATV2, Ouya, Xubuntu and Windows 8 all 13.2
Moblie Clients SGS5 SG Note II and SG Tab S all 13.2
Dark Knight RT-AC66U merlins build

You might think about the chrome-cast for just netflix.
Take a look at pipelight - enables you to do netflix on Linux.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I managed to get my (2nd gen) WDTV Live running Netflix at 24p (though it didn't autoswitch to 24p). Would two boxes be a solution? You might be able to pick up a 2nd gen WDTV Live quite cheaply on eBay?
(2013-09-29, 01:12)nickr Wrote: Take a look at pipelight - enables you to do netflix on Linux.

I would be very interested in that. Is there any linux box out there that can do XBMC and Netflix using pipelight?

How is the netflix experience on Linux with pipelight? Is it through a browser? can you manage it through a remote? I dont want to have to use a keyboard and mouse.
I don't have access to netflix (geoblock) so I don't know. Try searching in this forum for pipelight and netflix. See the top of the page, where it says search?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
- Android is locked to 60hz
- Chromecast needs a phone/table/laptop, i need it to be controllable with a old school remote, i hate touch devices as remotes
- Netflix on Ouya looks pretty bad, both quality and interface wise, and most likely is locked to 60hz too
- Although i'm not new to Linux reading pipelight instructions gives me allergic reactions, but might be worth looking into

Separate box for Netflix, Youtube etc. is ok if it works really well. But i think i might have to either forget the 24hz requirement and/or use Windows..
(2013-09-30, 20:57)SpaceMonkey Wrote: - Android is locked to 60hz
- Chromecast needs a phone/table/laptop, i need it to be controllable with a old school remote, i hate touch devices as remotes
- Netflix on Ouya looks pretty bad, both quality and interface wise, and most likely is locked to 60hz too
- Although i'm not new to Linux reading pipelight instructions gives me allergic reactions, but might be worth looking into

Separate box for Netflix, Youtube etc. is ok if it works really well. But i think i might have to either forget the 24hz requirement and/or use Windows..

I keep hearing a lot of good things about Linux/Openelec, etc. I am so curious to see how that experience turns out through a dedicated linux htpc or a "branded" player like Pivos or Ouya. However, Netflix is a must have for the wife and daughter along with XBMC and I hate multiple devices.

So for now a Windows Mac Mini with frodo and WMC with Netflix pluggin is it for me. I have mapped the color buttons on the universal remote to start/terminate one application when the other starts and its working fine for me.

Unless I find out the experience/value on linux is as good as Windows, I dont think I will change.

P.S I searched using Pipelight and the only thing on this forum that popped out was this thread. So, did not help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New tv and XBMC box, how to get Netflix?0