Concurrent windows user accounts with xbmc
Question 
Hi

I am looking for ideas to create a windows based player / server. I plan to setup Win 7 pro to allow concurrent users to log in with XBMC running on one user account and the second user account to run other programs such as stablebit drive pool and down-loaders like sab, sickbeard etc.

As i travel a lot, i would like to have the following to make the system wife friendly :

When the machine boots it goes straight to the XBMC user account with the shell replaced by XBMC so its a seamless user experience.

While the machine is running , I would like to be able to login remotely to the second concurrently running user account where I would just have a desktop i could check all my running windows programs. when travelling i would use team viewer or similar and when home from another PC i would use RDP. This must not affect the other user account where someone may be watching. They would only ever see just XBMC.

I would never need to bring up the windows desktop on the actual TV, it will always be remote in.

IHuh know what i am asking could easily be done with just a server and a player, but i would really like to create a one box solution if possible.

Not sure if this is even possible but i would like to put it out there to see if anyone has some good ideas please.
Normally you would need Windows Server to allow concurrent sessions. The desktop versions of Windows only allow 1 session whether it's a local account or remote. There is a patch you can run to remove that limitation. You can get more info here:

Code:
http://www.serverwatch.com/server-tutorials/how-to-enable-concurrent-remote-desktop-sessions-in-windows.html

That should allow what you want to do.
Hi thanks for the quick response

yes I understand the patch and will try that, another option i was thinking of is to use WHS2011? is there any major reason you can not use WHS2011 to run XBMC or is it ok?

I will try this out this week and will post how i get on if anyone is interested.
You can run xbmc on whs2011.I do so for the sole purpose of receiving library updates from my applications(nzbdrone). You could use only 1 session since the applications you mentioned can be ran as a windows service and since they are web apps, you can access them from any pc on your network.

If my replies help you, please click on my reputation Image below :) thanks :)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Concurrent windows user accounts with xbmc0