Which XBMC Version for Lenovo Flex 14"?
Hi,

I did look around on this forum first before I posted this. So I apologize if the answer has already been answered.

I just bought a new Lenovo Flex 14" Ultrabook. It has the new Intel "Haswell" chipset in it with an Intel i7 CPU and HD 4400 integrated graphics. It doesn't have any other discrete graphics card in it. It comes preloaded with Windows 8 and a SSD drive that uses GUID Partions that boots with EFI (not Bios).

Is there a LiveCD version of XBMC (from XBMC or OPENELEC) that will work with this computer? I don't want to install it on the computer, but rather boot off a USB Thumb. The computer has one 3.0 USB and two 2.0 USB ports.

It seems that the XBMC software downloads are geared for notebooks that have a hybrid of Intel Chipset and some other discrete graphics chip in them. So I'm unclear which would be the best version to use, since I have no discrete graphics in my computer (plus I don't want to install it on my computer).

Thanks for your replies.
Try the Intel builds of OE, its designed to be run off a USB drive.
(2013-09-30, 23:53)teeedubb Wrote: Try the Intel builds of OE, its designed to be run off a USB drive.

Thanks for the reply. I've been thinking about this some and I think I better understand my own question.

With Windows 8 it has all the latest graphics drivers from Intel installed on it. So I'm fairly confident that XBMC would probably work ok if I install on Windows 8. But with OE or XBMC LiveCD wouldn't I have to wait for new drivers to be included in the distro before I could use it? Or even though the "Haswell" is a new chipset from Intel is it possible that older drivers (like for Sandy Bridge, etc.) that would be in the OE distro be usable?

Hope my question makes sense.
OE is pretty cutting edge in terms or drivers etc, with a new version of it being released a few days ago, it very possible that it contains drivers for haswell.
(2013-10-01, 00:37)teeedubb Wrote: OE is pretty cutting edge in terms or drivers etc, with a new version of it being released a few days ago, it very possible that it contains drivers for haswell.

Thanks for your encouraging reply. You've convinced me to put in the effort to give it a try (OE LiveCD for Intel). I'll report back my results. Hopefully my next post will be "It Works!!"
I'm not 100% sure if OE has a live cd mode, instead you'll need to install it from one usb drive to another, although I could be wrong - its been a long time time since I used the OE installer. Good luck Smile
You have an i7 Haswell - combined with the discrete graphics, it'll play anything that most reasonable files can throw at it even if it has to use software.

Just install XBMC into a USB stick in portable mode, then run it in Win8 when you need it.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_for_Win...table_mode
(2013-10-01, 01:19)Prof Yaffle Wrote: You have an i7 Haswell - combined with the discrete graphics, it'll play anything that most reasonable files can throw at it even if it has to use software.

Just install XBMC into a USB stick in portable mode, then run it in Win8 when you need it.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_for_Win...table_mode

Thanks for the reply. I'll give it a try. But to be clear my Lenovo Flex 14" doesn't have a discrete graphics chip (Just integrated Intel HD 4400 graphics). So I'm not sure if we're talking about the same Ultrabook?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which XBMC Version for Lenovo Flex 14"?0