Can someone approve my fist HTPC setup ? (is heat dissipation ok?)
Hi,

So I've come down to put together my own HTPC for the first time (time to replace my old TViX media streamer). I've been reading some of the threads here to try and catch up on the hardware jungle (It's been a few years since I "left the game"). I have a few questions regarding what I've put together, except the obvious "does this seem ok"

Cabinet: Streacom FC5 OD Evo Fanless chassis (Already purchased, so no turning back there..)
CPU: AMD A10-6700 (or will an A8-6500 be enough?)
Motherboard: ASUS F2A85-M PRO (micro-ATX)
Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB (picked at random)
Harddrive: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB (Also considering a RevoDrive 3 in case that speeds up things a bit?)
Optical drive: Streacom ST-OB2 Bluray-reader

So my questions is as follows:

1. I've heard "rumours" about AMD being better for integrated GPU's ? I've selected the most powerful AMD I could find with 65W TDP which is what is recommended for my chassis. Is this overkill, or should I pick something else ? I'm only going to use this htpc for media streaming (but it need to handle high-bitrate blu-ray, e.g. 50GB bd iso files).
2. Using this CPU, will the heat generated be within acceptable limits ? A friend of mine with a low-power intel cpu was saying this might generate too much heat, but I'm not sure to trust him completely Wink After all, the chassis is made to handle a recommended 65W CPU, so I can't see why it should be too much ?
3. The ASUS homepage says the following regarding the mainboard I somehow managed to pick: "This motherboard supports AMD® A-series Accelerated Processor with AMD Radeon™ HD 7000 Series Graphics.". Does this mean it only supports the HD7000 series graphics and not HD8000? According to specs I found on wikipedia, this CPU has a higher series, HD8000 graphics, whatever that means.
4. Also, I am kind of in need of 50Hz signals to my Plasma TV, otherwise it starts some strange flickering behaviour. I guess it would be possible to force a 50Hz refresh rate ?
5. Will an OCZ RevoDrive 3 make any improvement to user interface or general response times ? I have someone with a used one for half price that's tempting to get.

Sorry if these questions are basic and stupid. I've been trying to read threads, but did not find any definite answers to all my questions Smile

I might add, what I want from my HTPC is this (if that helps judging my setup):
  • Streaming movies and TV Series from a NAS (high bitrate x.264/h.264/M2TS for the most part)
  • Don't have a 3D TV yet (and don't want it for that matter) but wouldn't hurt if it was powerful enough to handle 3D bluray.
  • As snappy and quick user interface as humanly possible
  • Able to stream large bluray iso files on wired network
  • As quick as possible. Am only using remote (harmony) and want XBMC to start immediately. Do not want any Windows to show at all
Harddrive: http://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=hdssd&sort=r...ell#xf_top
(2013-10-02, 22:26)torsan Wrote: 1. I've heard "rumours" about AMD being better for integrated GPU's ? I've selected the most powerful AMD I could find with 65W TDP which is what is recommended for my chassis. Is this overkill, or should I pick something else ? I'm only going to use this htpc for media streaming (but it need to handle high-bitrate blu-ray, e.g. 50GB bd iso files).

For video acceleration under Linux: Nvidia > Intel > ATI
My main concern is that you want to fist your HTPC, that´s a no-go performancewise Rofl
(2013-10-03, 18:37)voochi Wrote:
(2013-10-02, 22:26)torsan Wrote: 1. I've heard "rumours" about AMD being better for integrated GPU's ? I've selected the most powerful AMD I could find with 65W TDP which is what is recommended for my chassis. Is this overkill, or should I pick something else ? I'm only going to use this htpc for media streaming (but it need to handle high-bitrate blu-ray, e.g. 50GB bd iso files).

For video acceleration under Linux: Nvidia > Intel > ATI

Well, first of all, it's a passive cooled chassis, so I'm going for low powered integrated GPU. Second, I'm not going to run Linux. I'm tired of running through forums and typing commands Wink

(2013-10-03, 21:36)Christer K Wrote: My main concern is that you want to fist your HTPC, that´s a no-go performancewise Rofl

How come ? Keep in mind that I am only using this for video decoding tasks and running XBMC. In addition the chassis has a max TDP of 65W. Please tell me what improvements you would recommend instead of rofling.. Smile
I appologize if the joke didn´t get through.. For a passive case I would go Intel all the way, as they by design is cooler so i3 or Pentium Haswell (s1150)
(2013-10-03, 22:08)Christer K Wrote: I appologize if the joke didn´t get through.. For a passive case I would go Intel all the way, as they by design is cooler so i3 or Pentium Haswell (s1150)

I might have been tired too, no worries Wink

Since everyone has been recommending Intel due to the low-power consumption, I have king of changed my mind to Intel. So I've come up with a Intel setup like this:

Motherboard: Intel DH87RL (Because it seems to have what I need, especially CIR connector. I tried looking up Asus H87M-PRO, but could not find any info regarding USB wake-up)
CPU: Intel Core i3-4130T (35W, HD4400 (?) GPU)
Memory: Some Corsair low-profile memory
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB

Guess I should be set then ? Now all I have to do is wait for someone to get the CPU in stock..
What kind of PSU do you already have or planning to buy?

I think you can also choose a normal i3, without the T Handbrake:
http://skinflint.co.uk/?cmp=993678&cmp=9...697#xf_top

Your Case should handle 65W CPU, so Intel Core i3-4130 and Intel Core i3-4330 shouldn't be a Problem:
"Cooling: Heatpipe Direct Touch 4 Pipes – Recommended CPU TDP 65W, Max TDP 95W**"
(2013-10-07, 05:53)-DDD- Wrote: What kind of PSU do you already have or planning to buy?

I think you can also choose a normal i3, without the T Handbrake:
http://skinflint.co.uk/?cmp=993678&cmp=9...697#xf_top

Your Case should handle 65W CPU, so Intel Core i3-4130 and Intel Core i3-4330 shouldn't be a Problem:
"Cooling: Heatpipe Direct Touch 4 Pipes – Recommended CPU TDP 65W, Max TDP 95W**"

Thanks for your reply.

My plan was to use the fanless nano psu by streacom (150W).

Even if the chassis can take 65W CPU (which was the reason for my slightly overpower AMD in the first place) I'm just trying to make it as cool as possible. Now, it's only going to be used as a multimedia streamer, so as long as the CPU and GPU do not put any limitations in that area, I don't need the extra power. I'd rather have a cooler cabinet, than extra power I'm never going to use. And yes, I know the T is a handbrake, but a HD4400 iGPU should do the trick of playing movies and XBMC menus smoothly no ?

(The only thing I am "gaming" is GTA V and I have an xbox for that Wink)
150W should be ok.

In idle and normal XBMC using you should have maximum of 30W, so it could be only a Problem on hot days where you put your CPU to maximum Heat with encoding of Videofiles.
Also you often can set an Limit to your CPU in BIOS, so you can set the Handbrake yourselt in BIOS with every CPU.
http://downloadmirror.intel.com/22679/en...Spec02.pdf
Quote:The BIOS includes the following options to provide custom performance enhancements
when using 4th generation Intel Core processor s in an LGA1150 socket.
• Processormaximum non-turbo ratio (processor multiplier can only be adjusted down)
• Processor turbo ratio adjustment
• Host clock frequency

But the T should also be ok for you Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can someone approve my fist HTPC setup ? (is heat dissipation ok?)0