No HDMI sound on ASRock ION 330. Need help
Hi guys. I've tried everything I could to get HDMI sound working through my ASRock ION 330HT with 12.04 LTS and Frodo. Attached are some screen shots to show my configuration. Everything in alsamixer is unmuted and set at 100.

Screenshots to alsamixer, asound.conf and XBMC settings. http://imgur.com/JWnOOLM,Q1nPFKB,XBY1a8i,J9177Dz

Screenshot of aplay-l: http://imgur.com/98wevtB

XBMC log: http://pastebin.com/gHt74811

Under Audio output device in XBMC I only have four options: HDA Nvidia HDMI, HDA Nvidia ALC889A Digital S/PDIF, HDA Nividia ALC889A Analog, PulseAudio Sound Server

I read through countless posts and was unsuccessful at getting sound over HDMI. Any help would be appreciated. Let me know if I can provide any additional information.
remove the asound.conf speaker config is 2.0 (not 3.1) and disable dts/ac3 in xbmc also
I removed asound.conf, changed speaker configuration to 2.0 and disabled dts/ac3. Still no sound over HDMI.
idk, this has been discussed to death, so forgive me if Im not wasting too much time dwealing on this. I hvae same hw as you and no problem of the sort, so look at pulseaudio and removing it or the solutions attached to it which already been posted and read this http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...dio_issues
OK I"ll try that. I am getting sound via the analog headphone jack when I change the setting in XBMC to HDA Nividia ALC889A Analog.

Do you think the NVIDIA drivers could have anything to do with this? Should I try to uninstall and reinstall them?
if anything downgrade them to 304.64 from xswat ppa 310.x are too flaky and problematic atm.
Hey guys. Just wanted to report back that downgrading my NVIDIA drivers to 304.64 worked! I now have sound over HDMI. A big thanks to uNiversal for his assistance. Looking forward to using my new setup.
DO enjoy, May as well someone enjoy it,

Feel free to mark thread as solved

uNi
You're right. Now I'm getting VDPAU errors that are causing XBMC to crash while playing video. F*ck.

Going to try using settings in your signature to see if that helps.
Is libvdpau1 installed? What errors. Yes the settings for 23p24p will help in Nvidia.
Yes libvdpau1 is installed to latest version. I'm running Nvidia 304.64.

Here is the error

18:56:18 T:2522852160 ERROR: (VDPAU) Error: An invalid handle value was provided.(3) at VDPAU.cpp:3000

Crash log: http://pastebin.com/X8qD6Ybs

I also made sure to follow your Nvidia configuration exaclty.
It could be that you downgraded the video driver but not vdpau, if that has some influence at all! Im not versed in vdpau errors so cant tell you what is going on, mind you I have same hardware and it works all just fine on minimal Ubuntu + xbmc

Your log is full of unusual errors and you have pulseaudio installed, so no idea.

uNi
Is it ok to delete VDPAU and then reinstall it?

I am going to remove PulseAudio. No need for it with the new audio engine in Frodo.
Delete no, unistall it yes and if your going to do same for pulseaudio its like below.

Code:
sudo apt-get remove --purge libvdpau1 pulseaudio alsa-plugins

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install alsa-utils libasound2 libvdpau1

And that is presuming libvdpau version was tied to your previous driver, since I have no idea how you installed that driver its possible if you used a ppa if the ppa has a differenct version you may need to remove said ppa too.

Without doing some troubleshooting which could take a long while all of this is only going through motions unless someone who knows vdpau and or the error gives a more definitive answer. google brings up something old and tbh I dont know.

see the old topic http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=52419&page=2

if you google the error it may help you investigate.

uNi
(2013-03-09, 18:36)adave Wrote: I read through countless posts and was unsuccessful at getting sound over HDMI. Any help would be appreciated. Let me know if I can provide any additional information.
Hi there.
It's a bit later for help with HDMI sound, anyway that could be useful for someone.

There is a simple way get HDMI sound works (and ONLY it) on ASRock ION 330 HT and systems with similar audiocards.
1. rebuild custom kernel
(I don't know that is going on in the world of Ubuntu, but I hope you can able get a "standard" kernel config and slightly adjust it. For other people it shouldn't be a problem at all.)
Edit the kernel .config in a way is:
Code:
CONFIG_SND_HDA_INTEL=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_PREALLOC_SIZE=2048
# CONFIG_SND_HDA_HWDEP is not set
CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP_MODE=1
CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_JACK=y
# CONFIG_SND_HDA_PATCH_LOADER is not set
# CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_REALTEK is not set
# CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_ANALOG is not set
# CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_SIGMATEL is not set
# CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_VIA is not set
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_HDMI=y
# CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_CIRRUS is not set
# CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_CONEXANT is not set
# CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_CA0110 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_CA0132 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_CMEDIA is not set
# CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_SI3054 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_HDA_GENERIC is not set
CONFIG_SND_HDA_POWER_SAVE_DEFAULT=0
or a kind of screenshot:
Code:
.config - Linux/x86 3.10.11 Kernel Configuration
> Device Drivers > Sound card support > Advanced Linux Sound Architecture > PCI sound devices > Intel HD Audio
                --- Intel HD Audio                                                      
                (2048) Pre-allocated buffer size for HD-audio driver                            
                [ ]   Build hwdep interface for HD-audio driver                                    
                [*]   Support digital beep via input layer                                        
                (1)     Digital beep registration mode (0=off, 1=on)                            
                [*]   Support jack plugging notification via input layer                          
                [ ]   Support initialization patch loading for HD-audio                          
                [ ]   Build Realtek HD-audio codec support                                        
                [ ]   Build Analog Device HD-audio codec support                                    
                [ ]   Build IDT/Sigmatel HD-audio codec support                                    
                [ ]   Build VIA HD-audio codec support                                              
                [*]   Build HDMI/DisplayPort HD-audio codec support                              
                [ ]   Build Cirrus Logic codec support                                              
                [ ]   Build Conexant HD-audio codec support                                          
                [ ]   Build Creative CA0110-IBG codec support                                      
                [ ]   Build Creative CA0132 codec support                                      
                [ ]   Build C-Media HD-audio codec support                                        
                [ ]   Build Silicon Labs 3054 HD-modem codec support                            
                [ ]   Enable generic HD-audio codec parser                                        
                (0)   Default time-out for HD-audio power-save mode
Some details.
The config is taken from kernel 3.10.11, newer kernels might have changes.
This config "disables" complex path of the sound in the card and left the only one - 1 out via HDMI.
Sure, you should rebuild the kernel and reboot.
After that you should see only one sound device:
Code:
asrock1 visualization.projectm # aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
asrock1 visualization.projectm #

2. xbmc sound OTB
After that XBMC sould start out sound via HDMI by default, OTB.
If not - check System/Settings/Audio output:
- all audio devices should be set to HDMI
- all other options initially should be set to OFF, later you could add them one-by-one and detect which are working and which are not (it totally depends on your TV model)
AFAIK, it is needed to restart XBMC after sound setup changes.

Tested on linux kernel 3.10.11, x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-325.15, Gentoo x86_64 Intel® Atom™ CPU 330 @ 1.60GHz (ASRock 330 HT). ...and some 5 y.o. Sony LCD, KDL-32 I guess.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No HDMI sound on ASRock ION 330. Need help0