Cable Channels DRM Issue?
I am having a problem getting my Live TV setup to find all the channels that I know are available from my cable provider (Cox Cable Arizona). When I connect my cable directly to my TV and let it scan, it picks up all the normal broadcast stations that are OTA, along with cable only channels (Discovery, CNN, Nickelodeon, etc). However, when I try to setup my Live TV through XBMC (Openlec 3.2.2, TVHeadend & HDHomerun Dual), it only picks up the channels that would otherwise be available OTA. Does this have something to do with DRM encryption, and if so, why can my TV pickup those channels, but not my HTPC setup?

I try to add the Muxes manually in the TVHeadend GUI, and can find some channels that the scan does not pickup, but these are channels that I believe are still available OTA (QVC, HSN, etc). I literally went through every Mux that was not encrypted in TVHeadend and previewed the stream to find any channels that would play, and added them manually. Also note, I previously was using a Hauppage 950q USB tuner connected to my HTPC, and still had the same issue.

I am not using a cable box, this is just the basic cable service, connected directly from the wall to my tuner.
Could it be that your TV is tuning in the analog broadcast, and your computer tuner only scans for digital?

I am pretty sure that COX AZ DRM's all their digital channels except locals (OTA)... in fact I just gave up on a cable card set up because of it.
That's an interesting point, I will have to look at that. It is my understanding that the HDHomerun only scans digital signals, so then I would be SOL trying to get this setup to work and may be better off just connecting my cable to the TV. Of course then I have no EPG, or PVR functionality.

Edit: Spelling
Are you sure you're not scanning for terrestrial signals instead of cable? That would explain why only OTA channels show up.
(2013-10-07, 20:37)t-magnus Wrote: Could it be that your TV is tuning in the analog broadcast, and your computer tuner only scans for digital?

I am pretty sure that COX AZ DRM's all their digital channels except locals (OTA)... in fact I just gave up on a cable card set up because of it.

You were absolutely correct, thanks for the heads up. Cox is still broadcasting NTSC Analog, so when I connect directly to the TV I can pickup the extra cable only channels (CNN, etc.) My HDHomerun Dual does not have an analog tuner, and while the 950q USB tuner does support Analog NTSC, TVHeadend does not natively as is my understanding. From what I was reading, you can compile TVHeadend to support this, but I think it may be above my abilities at this time. I will look at it more in depth and see if I can figure it out.

Thanks again for your help.
(2013-10-09, 01:07)sartori71 Wrote: You were absolutely correct, thanks for the heads up. Cox is still broadcasting NTSC Analog, so when I connect directly to the TV I can pickup the extra cable only channels (CNN, etc.) My HDHomerun Dual does not have an analog tuner, and while the 950q USB tuner does support Analog NTSC, TVHeadend does not natively as is my understanding. From what I was reading, you can compile TVHeadend to support this, but I think it may be above my abilities at this time. I will look at it more in depth and see if I can figure it out.

Thanks again for your help.

Your welcome

Note, I have never used TVheadend but I thought that it did support analog signals. I remember installing it years ago and realizing that the analog wouldn't work for me because I needed to use a DirecTV STB... I might be thinking of DVDLink, but I thought it was TVheadend.
tvheadend should support analog TV, though I have never tried it myself since there are no analog broadcasts where I live.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cable Channels DRM Issue?0