IR Control
Hi,

I'm in the final stage of setting up my HTPC and am a bit stuck on infrared support. Please forgive any obvious oversights - I've not set up a HTPC before.

I am running latest OpenELEC (3.2.2). My motherboard is an ASRock-H67M-ITX. I want to add the ability to control my HTPC via a Logitech universal remote (sorry, I forget the model and it hasn't arrived from the UK yet - I've recently moved to Australia).

I am unsure whether I need to buy ASRock's official IR product or whether I can buy any old USB IR receiver such as this one. What is particularly confusing to me, is that the official product itself includes an external USB IR receiver, but they also require that you connect the USB 2 front panel header to their CIR pins. Will I need to do that if I get a different product? What advantage would there be one way or the other?

To me, a USB IR controller should just present itself as a HID device and that should be all that's required, so the CIR thing has really thrown me.

My ideal scenario is this: I buy an IR receiver that fits neatly into my unused optical bay in my HTPC - no need for a USB receiver sticking out externally. I program my Logitech remote with the requisite IR codes to control my HTPC. Not sure what this entails either.

Can anyone clear up all this confusion up for me?

Thanks
In short, just pick an HP IR receiver:
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=...+ir&_sop=7

Install the XBMCCustomRegis thingy
http://xbmccustomregis.sourceforge.net/

In the Logitech software, set your device to Microsoft MCE Extender

Away you go.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
(2013-10-08, 07:09)bossanova808 Wrote: In short, just pick an HP IR receiver:
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=...+ir&_sop=7

Install the XBMCCustomRegis thingy
http://xbmccustomregis.sourceforge.net/

In the Logitech software, set your device to Microsoft MCE Extender

Away you go.

Thanks! I was hoping to get something like this, but presumably I need to buy something semi-translucent to cover my optical drive bay, so I can mount the receiver behind it...? Where would I find such a thing? Again, I apologize - I have been unsuccessful googling this because I don't know what it is I need to google.
Dependant on model. But CIR headers usually mean you can switch the PC on from completely off via remote. That's why it has the extra connections.

I personal recommend it if you can do it as it makes it so much easier [i'm lazy!]

A few of us have used www.simerec.com to do just this.
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2013-10-08, 09:29)jammyb Wrote: CIR headers usually mean you can switch the PC on from completely off via remote. That's why it has the extra connections.
Ah, that makes sense.
(2013-10-08, 09:29)jammyb Wrote: A few of us have used www.simerec.com to do just this.
OK, so that will allow me to turn HTPC on/off via remote, as well as control XBMC via remote?

EDIT: crap, I don't have an ATX power supply - I have an external picoPSU.

Thanks
Have a look at the NUC build in my sig. It has simerec installed with out ATX.

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

OK, I think this is what I want. It purports to be for ASRock CIR, is internally mounted, and does not come with a remote (I don't want one anyway).

Anyone know of any reason why this wouldn't work?
I turn my as-rock on and off by remote (not sleep!) - via a USB IR receiver...not using the CIR at all.

I have one of those inteset ones as well, but for some reason I found the USB one more reliable but honeslty it dates a while back now and I can't remember why I have up on the inteset one. It's still in my case, just pulled out of the mobo now! Notes on my build in general are in my sig.
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Perhaps you have it plugged in the USB port that is connected to power switch.

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Yep the mobo supports s5 via USB so that's why it works. I seem to recall some programming issues with the inteset I couldn't be bothered fixing and external doesn't bother me really.
Well a few of us [myself included] are anal on our HTPCs and tend to hide their functions so no dongles on show Rofl

All good fun. I'm fitting simerec in my new build so SWMBO hasn't got to get up to switch it on. JOKE! Tongue

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Thanks for this, but I'm still a bit confused. If I get the internal sensor and re-route the front casing USB to the CIR, can I get away with just the one sensor? ie. will it allow me to turn the machine on/off and also control XBMC?
Should be able to use just CIR. You'll have to try it!

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
IR Control0