Running python-scrips from "My Videos"
the addition of the base media window may make this rather trivial actually. and instead of just adding .py to the extensions lists, i'd kind of prefer it as a settings option ("show python scripts"?), seperate for each media window like the "allow file operations" option.

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
what about just adding a <script> tag to button controls... this way he gets his request and i also get mine.

we can launch a script along with any standard control.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
take it this way, i have added .py to the list of extensions that my videos can 'see'. i created a folder in my f:/videos/ folder called scripts and in it i placed the cnn script and all its associated files. now when i try to select the cnn script the box crashes, however i can still select this from within its correct section. this way, if i want to watch a music video i click on music videos folder and a video from within my videos section, if i want to watch streaming media from cnn i would simply click on the scripts folder and then cnn. same area of the media center for both streaming and local files, the xbox shouldnt care where it is coming from, it's still using the same codec to play it. now correct me if i am wrong (and i usually am) but couldnt you just add the code needed to execute the py files from the scripts menu and place that same functionality into the my videos or my music code. it seems to me that all the media is linked together anyways, and adding the ability to execute a py script from anywhere wouldnt be that hard... correct? either way, xbmc is by far the greatest media application availible today commercially or not. and if this is the worst part to me, you're doing a excellent job. javascript:emoticon(':bowdown:')
:bowdown:
the difference is that when you click a .py file in "my scripts" xbmc is smart enough to open it with the python engine. when you click on anything in "my video" xbmc will try to open it in the video player. videos that are started from within cnn use the same player though.
ahhh... i dont like the idea of 3rd party scripts running from within media windows. gets all a bit messy if you ask me. scripts are scripts and when they break i'm sure 99% of you will be removing that new button quicker than you put it there. Smile
(deanrparry @ jan. 24 2006,01:00 Wrote:ahhh... i dont like the idea of 3rd party scripts running from within media windows. gets all a bit messy if you ask me. scripts are scripts and when they break i'm sure 99% of you will be removing that new button quicker than you put it there. Smile
rule of thumb... if you don't know what you are doing, leave it alone or be willing to work through it if it breaks.

no different then anything else in xbmc.

i'm not sure why xbmc does not act like an os... filetypes run appropriately no matter where they are "located" or launched from.

i really want the abilityto run scripts from anywhere... i want to trigger them when i'm doing other things.

examples:
start movie --> trigger py to dim lights
start music --> trigger py to show music news
... etc

i'd think this would be an easy thing for a dev to add (i'm not a dev) since there is not much new code, only a bit of logic to get the code running.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
am i the only one who see a use for this feature. i myself am annoyed that there are 2 different places to find media. explaining this to new users of xbmc can be tough, think of it this way... you wanna listen to music go to my music and select the album or go to the main menu, click the arrow button find for instance, the xm py file, open that folder then click on the .py, run that and select the station. to me, it would be easier if say you wanted to listen to music, streaming or not, you go to my music. theres a bookmark in my music for listening to shoucast streams, if i select the http item i get a text list of availible stations, if i go to the shoucast script however, i am presented with a nice gui and a sorted list of stations and genres. why shouldnt i be able to access this script from my music... it is music the players uses the same codecs in the end to run them. most py files themselves just act as a gui interface that then streams in media of different types (video, music or pictures). it seems like a logical step to allow scripts to be sorted in thier respective catagories. the xbmc player is using the same functions. allowing py scripts to execute from any screen, not just the scripts menu or file browser, doesnt seem like it would require much more coding....
Hi,
If you're using the MC360 skin, I have found a quick way of accessing the scripts.
see: http://forums.xbox-scene.com/lofiversion...24821.html
theni9e Wrote:am i the only one who see a use for this feature. i myself am annoyed that there are 2 different places to find media. explaining this to new users of xbmc can be tough, think of it this way... you wanna listen to music go to my music and select the album or go to the main menu, click the arrow button find for instance, the xm py file, open that folder then click on the .py, run that and select the station. to me, it would be easier if say you wanted to listen to music, streaming or not, you go to my music. theres a bookmark in my music for listening to shoucast streams, if i select the http item i get a text list of availible stations, if i go to the shoucast script however, i am presented with a nice gui and a sorted list of stations and genres. why shouldnt i be able to access this script from my music... it is music the players uses the same codecs in the end to run them. most py files themselves just act as a gui interface that then streams in media of different types (video, music or pictures). it seems like a logical step to allow scripts to be sorted in thier respective catagories. the xbmc player is using the same functions. allowing py scripts to execute from any screen, not just the scripts menu or file browser, doesnt seem like it would require much more coding....

I also see the use of this and like to *BUMP* this thread.. Perhaps changing the sources file will do but I actually perfer doing it in a simular way in which we can edit that dialogmenu tingy (the blue icon in the main screen) with a script already.

This GUI allows (new) users to easily edit their favorite media scripts to the section it belongs to. And when you enter the Videos/Music section there will be that list followed by the sources.xml specified list. I think this has potential.. allowing users to use the appletrailer script for instance within the movies section is a more logical choice (people can actually find these scripts).

Add to that a small modification on the xbmcscripts.com site (I know it has no direct relation with XBMC) to define wheter a script belongs to the music/video section. Even weekly updates can be possible.. man there is a whole new world out there to explore!

Cheers,
San

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Running python-scrips from "My Videos"0