XBMC Version Comparison
The purpose of this thread is to compare each version of XBMC in a single thread, and give a greater overall view of the differences between them without the need to search back through multiple categories.

Full HTPC
Windows: Average cost ($350 ) See eskro's thread Add $120+ for Windows
Updated thanks to cones
Updated thanks to MrCrispy

Positives
+ Support is larger for other software, due to Windows being as widely adopted as it is. This results in a wider selection of programs that can run on the OS as well as generally greater support for the programs that are available on Linux & Mac as well.

+

Negatives
- Requires a copy of the operating system, needs to be authenticated to avoid popup notifications.

-

Mac OS X: Average cost ($350 - $1000 ) Mac Minis

Positives
+

Negatives
-

Linux: Average cost ($200 - $300 ) See eskro's thread again for Openelec builds
Thanks nickr

Positives
+

Negatives
-

Mobile Operating Systems / Set-top Boxes
Android: Average cost ($100 ) Pivos Xios / G-box MX2 / OUYA

Positives
+

Negatives
- Fragmented Hardware and Software Standards ( Every device manufacturer uses different hardware spec, and puts their own spin on the OS resulting in compatibility issues. )

-

IOS: - Mobile Only

Positives
+

Negatives
-

AppleTV: - Set-top box Only

Positives
+

Negatives
-

Raspberry Pi: Average cost ( $35 - $60 ) Site to purchase
Updated thanks to aesalazar
Updated thanks to cones

Positives
+ Built-in CEC, meaning that this device can be controlled by your TV remote via protocols over the HDMI cable from your TV
+

Negatives
- This device is lower power and can be slow in menus, but should play 1080p video just fine.

Wanting to build a Stickable thread that gives all of the pro's and con's of each version, with the above format.

Doing so because I don't know them all myself, and I believe that it would help new users to gain a starting point for entering XBMC. As they should want to decide which version they want and know the drawbacks, before deciding what hardware they will go with.

I'm stuck at this point, I think the best thing to put under each + would be things that each offers that the others do not, while under each - should be the largest drawback of each. But again, I do not personally know these.

Any input would be helpful and fully credited.
Wouldn't this make more sense in a wiki table?
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
Pretty sure the pivos xios should be under linux, not android (for xbmc use anyway).

Plus what post 2 said.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
What's a Wiki Table? I was just trying to make a thread that would be a first stop in peoples' search for what version of XBMC would they like to start with.

I can put the Xios under Linux. I guess it makes more sense for the purpose of running XBMC at peak performance. What does that do for apps that they would like to run as well, such as wanting to treat it like an OUYA and play games on it, or such.

At least that will bring down the average cost for Linux!
Not a bad idea Bud. The point about the WiKi is that you can make it open to direct editing by other people instead of a thread approach like this so it would work better with multi-user input. Your next question is probably "ok how do I do that". Smile I have never actually started one so hopefully someone else can chime in.

I would add about the RaspberryPi thatthe $35-$40 is just for the unit itself. you have to add in costs for the components like power supply, SD card or USB Stick, case, etc. Maybe make the range $35 - $60 with the note that one might have alot of the need parts lying around already.

Good of you to spend the time to work on this subject - good luck!

Ernie
Request for a wiki editor account is pending.
A x86 linux machine should be cheaper than a windows machine:

1. windows costs money;

2. windows usually has a higher ram, harddrive demands (try putting windows on an 8G SSD or a USB stick).
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Yeah, NO idea where I got those numbers at.

Kids, don't do drugs.
LOL
Windows the os alone costs around $100, for linux the os would be free. About all i have to add to that. Also windows hardware usually would have to be a little higher speced then in linux.
I'm assuming someone already has a copy of the OS, and an activation key if it is required. This is a tough thing to add in when some people have it already and some will not.

I think this will be something I will put as a note under the negatives, but will not include in the cost.

Afterall you don't actually have to pay for a Windows key, I downloaded a copy from my university when I was there and never activated it. A little window kept trying to pop up to tell me to do so but I just disabled the notifications and was solid from then on. It even let me online.
(2013-10-15, 15:46)Budwyzer Wrote: I'm assuming someone already has a copy of the OS, and an activation key if it is required. This is a tough thing to add in when some people have it already and some will not.

I think this will be something I will put as a note under the negatives, but will not include in the cost.

Afterall you don't actually have to pay for a Windows key, I downloaded a copy from my university when I was there and never activated it. A little window kept trying to pop up to tell me to do so but I just disabled the notifications and was solid from then on. It even let me online.
you need to use prices INCLUDING the OS.
else it's pointless

because you can get one doesn't mean every one can get one
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I'd just add it as note right next to the price, something like "add $100 to cost if you need a windows license". But i do think it should be included because when you're making a cheap box that's one of the most expensive parts of the build.
- Done

Also, my wikipage approval is done. I got on the wiki but have no idea how to create a fresh page. I understand how to add in a new section, was planning on putting it under Guides on HERE, but have no URL to link to.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Help:Main_page

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Version Comparison0