XBMC Version Comparison
Wikis are so useful. LOL

But I gotta do actual work right now. Sad
Linux will be cheaper due to OS costs. But for those who have a valid key, this is not a factor. I'm no expert by any means, but I have found installing things on Windows is generally simpler, even (and esp) for open source products. e.g. I had an easier time configuring mysql on Windows.
(2013-10-15, 23:12)MrCrispy Wrote: Linux will be cheaper due to OS costs. But for those who have a valid key, this is not a factor. I'm no expert by any means, but I have found installing things on Windows is generally simpler, even (and esp) for open source products. e.g. I had an easier time configuring mysql on Windows.

That's more of an opinion though, my opinion would be that it's easier in linux because you just open a terminal and type "sudo apt-get install mysql-server". Then you'd just configure it from there.
(2013-10-16, 00:02)cones Wrote:
(2013-10-15, 23:12)MrCrispy Wrote: Linux will be cheaper due to OS costs. But for those who have a valid key, this is not a factor. I'm no expert by any means, but I have found installing things on Windows is generally simpler, even (and esp) for open source products. e.g. I had an easier time configuring mysql on Windows.

That's more of an opinion though, my opinion would be that it's easier in linux because you just open a terminal and type "sudo apt-get install mysql-server". Then you'd just configure it from there.

True. It's all about what you are familiar with.
For the raspberry pi, positive - small size, no fans, low power, built in cec. Negative - can be slower then others.
Which is frankly why these comparisons are of limited value. One man's operating system disk is another man's frisbee.

Overall ratings will always reflect the biases of the assessor - some people care about power consumption more than smooth gui, others insist on a power machine so that aeon looks nice.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-10-16, 01:03)nickr Wrote: Which is frankly why these comparisons are of limited value.

And of limited time value as hardware and software costs and features are a moving target. While there may be initial enthusiasm in contributing input to such a comparison, interest will wane over time and the information will become obsolete as products are discontinued and no one steps up to maintaining the comparison regularly and on a long-term basis.
Yeah look at every "linux compatible hardware" list that has ever been started by well meaning people...
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I think there is value in a list like this as long as we are able to define different classes. e..g

1. general purpose - will run light gaming (possible with integrated gpu's), full 3d support, run some background tasks, future proof
2. xbmc with power to spare - run advanced skins+plugins, lav/mad renderers etc, possible to decode video/audio in cpu if needed, full 3d/hd support
3. basic xbmc playback - simple skins, depends on hw decoder

Cost and power consumption goes up accordingly. e.g. Pi is obviously perfect for #3 but would fall short of other 2.
And the info changes almost monthly.
(2013-10-16, 00:48)cones Wrote: For the raspberry pi, positive - small size, no fans, low power, built in cec. Negative - can be slower then others.

I think built in CEC is worthy of a "+", but the rest are shared by all set-top boxes IE Pivos Xios and Apple TV.

On the Android version. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Android version doesn't support HW decoding on all platforms, if any.
- So a "-" here would be "May not support hardware decoding, requiring a higher end mobile CPU for higher resolution video" ? Correct?
I was just going off of what i've actually had experienced with. I believe the android thing is true but i haven't used that version in a while.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Version Comparison0