Menu Button to bring to Designated Page within Add On
I hate to ask a question when the information I am seeking is so likely to be out there, but I just have not been able to find the answer, so here goes.

I am looking to create a button on the main menu that takes me to a designated page inside of an add on. For an example, when a button is clicked it would bring me to video add ons >> icefilms>> movies >> hd movies. I know that some skins allow you to create things along this nature (Video nodes inside of the Ace skin), but I am looking to get my feet wet with the actual XML code for this.

Is this something that you can use the ActivateWindow() function to achieve, or is this something that will have to be done using a Python script?
Welcome to the XBMC forums.

It may be possible to open the context menu on the desired menu option and select "Add to favourites". Examine your favourites.xml and you'll see the command used to open that page.

As an FYI and for future reference, you should avoid mentioning piracy add-ons in your examples as this may result in having your thread ignored or relegated to the garbage bin.
I guess I was not aware that mentioning certain add-on's would result in a problem. In the future I will refrain from mentioning them. Now that it is brought up though, it leads me to another question. Is the distribution of these add-on's illegal? Or the creation? I understand that the use of them could be conceived as being illegal, as I have heard the argument that an illegal copy of the material is created in your cache; but is one looking at penalties for creating them and or distributing them?

I don't mean to act mean to act foolish, asking about the thing you recommended not specifically mentioning, but as I want to expand my knowledge pertaining to XBMC, I really would like to know where the line is on what is illegal and what isn't. And even if it is or isn't illegal, I would like to know what is excepted and what isn't within the community. Anything to point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks for answering my original question, and I will attempt what you recommended.
The issue of legality is dependent on the laws in your jurisdiction and we are not able to provide legal advice here. I only bring this up in relation to our forum rules (wiki). Basically, don't use the forums to discuss, seek or provide assistance in using add-ons written specifically to access pirated content. In your case, you were not asking for help with the add-on; you only mentioned it in your example of a generic task you were trying to perform. However, I can't guarantee that everyone will make the same distinction when they see a piracy add-on mentioned in a post; thus, my advice to avoid using a piracy add-on as an example when seeking assistance about a general issue that's not related to just the piracy add-on per se.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Menu Button to bring to Designated Page within Add On0