Multi-threaded software decode ?
Hi All,

Could one of the devs comment on whether XBMC supports multi-threaded software video decoding on Mac OS, or indeed any platform ?

I was always under the impression that multi-threaded decode was supported but my testing today shows that software decoding an H.264 MKV on Mac OS is most definitely single threaded, leaving some 40% of the total combined CPU time idle when trying to play a 30Mbps file which is dropping frames because vcpu is pegged to 100%...

This is both 13.2 and a recent Helix Alpha.

Thanks.
Kodi 18.3 - Mid 2007 Mac Mini, 4GB, 2TB HD, Windows 7 SP1
Kodi 18.3 - Vero4k, Raspberry Pi 2. OSMC.
Yes, but it has to be specifically enabled due to stability reasons. Make sure the settings level is set to advanced and go to: XBMC/Kodi -> Settings -> Videos -> Acceleration

That should allow you to turn on multithreading, which also disables hardware video decoding.
Cool, I'll give that a try. Smile

I'm assuming it's not present in Gotham then ?
It is present in v13 Gotham.
Well I'm stunned.

I've been an XBMC user for close on two years and even participated in development/debugging, but I never realised that having hardware decoding turned on (even if it was falling back to software decoding because hardware decoding wasn't supported) would disable multi-threaded decoding...

If so there is a bug in the UI in Helix - not only does it show "allow multi-threaded software decoding" as on when hardware accelerated is enabled, it even lets you toggle it on and off. There is no indication that the multi-threaded decoding option does nothing unless software rendering is also selected.

That's not the case on Gotham though, where selecting hardware decoding both toggles multi-threaded off and greys it out...

The difference in performance on Gotham is amazing - it gives the old Mac a whole new lease on life!

Without multi-threaded decoding it can software decode up to about 25Mbps without dropping frames but with multithreading enabled it's managing 45Mbps (tested with the jellyfish clips) without dropping a single frame and almost managing 50Mbps - that's on a 1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo... It might even be fast enough for full bitrate blu-ray rips. (I don't have any to test though)

On the latest Helix build performance isn't as good though - with multi-threading enabled it can now just manage 40Mbps but no way can it manage 50Mbps...
yes its a bug in the ui / settings dependencies - there is a pr for this already which will fix it (allowing multithreaded sw decode even if hw decoder is enabled.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Multi-threaded software decode ?0