OS X Video stutter, no audio, after reconnecting HDMI output
Quote:I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned this issue.

Probably because more people haven't been having that issue? In any case, we need more info. A debug log (wiki) is always a good step. Also trying with a nightly build (wiki) might be good, too.
(2014-01-02, 04:45)Ned Scott Wrote:

Probably because more people haven't been having that issue? In any case, we need more info. A debug log (wiki) is always a good step. Also trying with a nightly build (wiki) might be good, too.

I did in my original post, and have seen no improvement with nightlies. Frankly it seemed like this issue wasn't important enough. Maybe there's a queue that under or overflowing or not being reset each time a item starts playing. But nobody has been able to offer anything to help as of yet.

I have abandoned XBMC for now in favor of Plex. It happens there too but much less frequently, not sure why.
(2014-01-02, 19:03)doug316 Wrote:
(2014-01-02, 04:45)Ned Scott Wrote:

I did in my original post, and have seen no improvement with nightlies. Frankly it seemed like this issue wasn't important enough. Maybe there's a queue that under or overflowing or not being reset each time a item starts playing. But nobody has been able to offer anything to help as of yet.

I have abandoned XBMC for now in favor of Plex. It happens there too but much less frequently, not sure why.

Getting a debug log from each person reporting the issue is important for a number of reasons, which is why I asked noone for his.

Programming isn't like an illness where it slowly gets better, and that's how you know someone is working on it. A fix for a specific issue likely takes time and will be all or nothing as far as nightlies go. It isn't being ignored and it's not a matter of importance or not. It's just the nature of the beast. Think of it more like detective work. An arrest hasn't been made, but leads are being followed and a case is being built for the suspect.
Here is my sanitized xbmc.log which look exactly like doug316's.

http://pastebin.com/eLAFTCAv

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with. It would be great if we could get to the bottom of this one. I really hate Plex.
(2014-01-03, 04:19)noone Wrote: Here is my sanitized xbmc.log which look exactly like doug316's.

http://pastebin.com/eLAFTCAv

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with. It would be great if we could get to the bottom of this one. I really hate Plex.

Close, but debugging isn't enabled (as mentioned in the debug log (wiki) link).

However, please also try this with a nightly build (wiki). I think the issue might already be fixed there, IIRC.
(2014-01-03, 00:33)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2014-01-02, 19:03)doug316 Wrote:
(2014-01-02, 04:45)Ned Scott Wrote: Probably because more people haven't been having that issue? In any case, we need more info. A debug log (wiki) is always a good step. Also trying with a nightly build (wiki) might be good, too.

Getting a debug log from each person reporting the issue is important for a number of reasons, which is why I asked noone for his.

Programming isn't like an illness where it slowly gets better, and that's how you know someone is working on it. A fix for a specific issue likely takes time and will be all or nothing as far as nightlies go. It isn't being ignored and it's not a matter of importance or not. It's just the nature of the beast. Think of it more like detective work. An arrest hasn't been made, but leads are being followed and a case is being built for the suspect.

I'm a developer myself but in a different realm, but without the bandwidth to learn the codebase. I was raising the suspicions on a buffer under- or over-flow hoping that someone already familiar with the code might be able to comment on the theory. If that's possible, I wonder if flushing things out is not happening when starting a new video.
Audio in v12 had a ton of changes and new audio engines and such. I won't lie, it wasn't pretty, and Mac OS X probably got the short end of the stick. It was a very rough transition, and some stuff for other platforms even had to be redone from scratch. This is why v11 has far less audio issues than v12. Hopefully, we'll have most of these hammered out for v13.
I just updated to the Jan 5 nightly and the issue appears to be fixed.

Thank you very much!
Update-

The 1/5 nightly has too many issues- no DTS or Dolby Digital enable options, and video tearing, to name a few. I had to switch back to 12.3.

Are there any other workarounds in 12.3 to fix this HDMI dropout issue other than having to exit and reopen XBMC to reestablish audio?

Are there any nightly versions that just fix this audio issue and leave everything else alone?

As mentioned previously, changing the Audio Output Device to 'Default' does not work for me.
In gotham there are settings levels. You need to switch the level to "advanced" for seeing the dts/ac3 options. Also your setup in gotham should be:

speakerlayout 2.0
passthrough for ac3/dts
output device default.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2014-01-08, 14:38)Memphiz Wrote: In gotham there are settings levels. You need to switch the level to "advanced" for seeing the dts/ac3 options. Also your setup in gotham should be:

speakerlayout 2.0
passthrough for ac3/dts
output device default.

Thanks, but the video tearing is a huge issue and is the main reason I switched back to 12.3.

It looks like a horizontal tearing of sorts. Check it out.
I don't see tearing with macmini late 2012.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2014-01-09, 01:36)Memphiz Wrote: I don't see tearing with macmini late 2012.

Interesting. I installed the latest nightly, and I can definitely see it on my 2010 Mac mini. It only occurs on fast panning up or down or fast action. It's hard to explain, but it sort of looks like the top half of the picture doesn't line up with the bottom half. It goes out of 'alignment' briefly, sort of glitch like, and then goes back right away during fast moving pans or action sequences.

This video behavior is definitely not on 12.3.

Let me know if you see what I am talking about.
Hey guys! First off; what an amazing job you are doing with this software. Thank you!

I'm having this exact same problem with my Mac Mini 2013 on Mountain Lion, Frodo 12.3. Hoping you will be able to fix it in the next version. Using Plex as a workaround at the moment but I really do not like it much.

Thanks!
I just downloaded the latest nightly build and this problem does not occur in this build (I don't see any screen tearing either). I take it chances are good version 13 will not be plagued by this. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video stutter, no audio, after reconnecting HDMI output0