Newbee Help
Hi all

Thinking of getting one of these devices, I currently have 2 x Acer Revos running Openelec XBMC with Ace and a Synology NAS drive with all my media and a 1gb Network to all devices, runs flawlessly, but I have some questions that I am hoping that people will be able to point me in the right direction

1. Openelec or Raspbmc OS?
2. SD Card or USB?
3. How to build guide with the Optimal settings for performance?
4. Skin Choice?

Any other points to be aware of before purchasing?

Really appreciate any views or support

Cheers

Mark

1. I'd suggest starting with OpenELEC first since you're already familiar with it. It will be easy enough to try out Raspbmc as well if you are curious and want to do a comparison of performance or features.
  2. You need to use an SD card to boot the device, but you can use a USB thumbdrive for the data partition to improve performance.
  3. For OpenELEC, see this: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=..._at_all.3F
  4. Start with the default Confluence skin for performance. Check this thread to see what others recommend: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=140987
1. Openelec or Raspbmc OS?

- OpenELEC if you like a stable out of the box working embedded system, Raspbmc for customization since it runs on Debian with apt-get and all that stuff.

2. SD Card or USB?

- I prefer NFS boot from my NAS, best for overclocking and updating, if you have more as one RPi.

- 3. How to build guide with the Optimal settings for performance?

Just use Rbej's OE build, best performance with latest patches and backports.

4. Skin Choice?

Confluence and Quartz - Amber and Bello with OC.

Any other points to be aware of before purchasing?

Get a good PSU 1.2 watts minimum, Class 10 SD-Card, 1.4 HDMI cable with HDMI-CEC remote support, get a chipset cooler kit. If its possible use LAN cable instead of wifi, it works but tends to do a lot off buffering above 720p. MKV's with DTS audio can cause high cpu usage, with sound drop outs.

The RPi performs very well for any kind of video/audio task BUT heavy addons and skins are a bit sluggish>unusable.
Thanks guys really useful information

Re NFS boot I'm assuming your talking about booting the device from the NAS drive if so if there a step by step guide as that sounds like a great idea and one I have never considered

Re Build where would I download this build?

Thanks

Mark
OpenELEC NFS Booting How-To

Downloads: http://netlir.dk/rbej/builds/
Big Grin 
Hey whats up, need a hand im new to raspberry pi, i have been trying to find out how to overclock this thing found a lot is forums but none really help. i used noobs to set up my sd card my system file and storage file are all on the same card 4gb. i want to over clock it because the GUI is very sluggish and slow at times. Im using windows to do all my work. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks
(2013-10-26, 03:34)knutz21 Wrote: Hey whats up, need a hand im new to raspberry pi, i have been trying to find out how to overclock this thing found a lot is forums but none really help. i used noobs to set up my sd card my system file and storage file are all on the same card 4gb. i want to over clock it because the GUI is very sluggish and slow at times. Im using windows to do all my work. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks

If you're using OpenELEC, you can follow the tips here on speeding up yor RPi: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=...rry_Pi_FAQ
Thanks for the info, removing rss feed really did help, but for the overclocking my sd card was formated using NOOBS there are three partions instead of two. One is a recovery in fat32, the other is settings in Ext4 and the last is other all active primary. What should do? start from starch.

(2013-10-26, 04:42)artrafael Wrote:
(2013-10-26, 03:34)knutz21 Wrote: Hey whats up, need a hand im new to raspberry pi, i have been trying to find out how to overclock this thing found a lot is forums but none really help. i used noobs to set up my sd card my system file and storage file are all on the same card 4gb. i want to over clock it because the GUI is very sluggish and slow at times. Im using windows to do all my work. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks

If you're using OpenELEC, you can follow the tips here on speeding up yor RPi: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=...rry_Pi_FAQ
Sorry, don't know anything about NOOBS. You may want to ask on the raspberrypi.org forums since it's their tool.
Overclocking should be the same there. The config.txt file is still in the same place, on the fat32 partition.
(2013-10-26, 09:27)Ned Scott Wrote: Overclocking should be the same there. The config.txt file is still in the same place, on the fat32 partition.

Actually, there is a FAT partition per installed image.
The one visible from windows will just affect the boot into NOOBS, so not much point in overclocking there.

To edit the config.txt for OpenELEC, there is a config.txt editor available from within NOOBS (press shift during boot to get NOOBS menu).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newbee Help0