XBMC Media Copier
Question 
I am working on an application and wanted to gage people’s interest in my project.
This is my Idea
Have an application where my friends can see what media I have , select what they want me to copy for them and then save this list to a file .
Email me the file and then I could open the file with an application and then have it automatically copy the media they selected to a drive.

Features

• The list of what I have should come from XBMC (I use XBMC with mySQl).
• The list should be updateable in an easy way and should be saved in an xml file.
• It should display how much space they will need for what they have selected.
• They should be able to filter the list so they don’t have to scroll through everything.
• The copying should be simple I should just open the file they send me and point to a dive where the stuff should be copied to.
• The copying must be done with TeraCopy because its faster than windows normal copying

So I have created the below application and it has 98 % functionality right now .

Just wanted to know if anyone else would find this use full ,or had any ideas.

How it works

1) You the person who has all the stuff opens the application and clicks MakeXML and this makes a list of your shows and saves it to an xml file.

2 ) You give you friend the application with the file you generated with all you media listed in it.

3) They open the appreciation and select what they want by show and season , taking note of how much space they should have free for every thing they have selected.(bottom let corner of the application show total space required)

4) Once they are done adding stuff to the list they click Save and save the file to disk. They then give you the file they saved and a drive.

5) You open the application click Select File and select the file they gave you , then you click Select a folder and select there drive or a folder on their drive . Then you click Copyshows and it will start copying all the shows to their drive.

So this all works but its a rough prototype if people are interested I will clean it up and add more functionality.

Requirements for it to all work.

• Your xbmc will have to be using MySQL (I might change this and have an option to used xbmc’s flat file but that might take a while to read from)
• You will need one custom function in mysql that I made (I might change this in time but the function is bundled with the application its called Xbmcfunction.sql just run it once and your sorted)
• .Net 4.5
• Teracopy

Latest Update

As I said at the start this is just the beginning of and idea and I am flexible when it comes to every aspect of the project.

Please let me know what you think off this application and how valuable it would be to your life .

Thank you for your time .
I have a Synology NAS where I simply provide my friends a login to the content folders.
Seems like if you are providing access to your friends, I don't see the benefit or need, to jump through hoops and have a complex process just to do what already exists today for free of cheaply... Pogo Plug ($20 device), BitTorrent Sync, tons of cloud file services (google drive, skydrive, dropbox, etc), FreeNAS, VPN + share permissions (SMB, NFS, etc), etc
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
When copying terabytes of data we cant do it over the internet(some people where I live have very slow internet connections or very small download caps) ,so they give me a drive and normally hand write or type a list of what they want .
I then have to find all the things on their list and copy then copy them to the drive.

So this just helps with that.
I have also changed the app so that it can pull an updated list of the media I have from drop box . So you just have to give the person the application once and the list will be updated automatically over the internet when I generate the xml file(this is automated to run one a day).

But thank you for you r feed back , that's what this topic is about
OK, I see now... the initial post was not clear on the exact goal or method of transfer.

Your goal is to copy provide content for physical transfer, person to person - not via internet.

I suspect the majority of people do transfers over the internet. You might want to clarify your first post so it will gain attention from people that may be in need.

Nice to see you have a good solution you and others can use. Kudos.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
I really like this idea and have been looking for a solution exactly like this.
If it could end up multiplatform (OSX, Linux) I would hope more people would see how useful this can be.
I have also been looking for a syncing utility that keeps a log of every file it has synced to my USB HDD (which I take off site).
Then I can re-run the sync at a later time to a USB flash drive and it can sync the changed/new files after comparing with the log/database of the original HDD sync so no duplicates are copied.

Thanks darksheep, I look forward to trying this tool.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Media Copier1