RM All-In-One Machines
Just a thought which came to me when I was offered one of these cheap - how would these RM all-in-one machines cope running XBMC?

Was thinking as a possibility for a kids bedroom, just something to be able to watch cartoons on etc.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FAST-RM-DESKTO...2583f55d17

What do you reckons?

Cheers,
Any thoughts on these as a possible option?

Cost about £60. Would stream media from file server.

Cjeers.
Don't know anything about that particular system, but the fact that it's running Vista caught my attention. There's an unresolved issue some (not all) Vista users are experiencing that prevents them from using any video add-ons: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=159963

So if that turns out to be an issue for you, you'll have to install some other OS on it, such as Windows 7 (which would entail an additional cost) or a Linux offering.

By the way, you weren't planning on buying it from that particular auction were you? I noticed it's closed (unless you're the one who bought it Smile ).
Don't worry, I was planning on running a linux based variant - probably Openelec.

And not buying from that auction, buying privately if I do decide to.

The actual model I've since discovered is the RM Expert 3030 - the eBay link was just an example.

Thanks for your feedback and steer in the right direction re vista, but I'm a bit of a vistaphobe as it is. Smile

Cheers,
I'd say you'd get what you paid for. The presence of XP suggests quite old hardware. You know nothing about the graphics processor. The screen appears to be 4:3 which won't suit most modern media - 16:9 media will appear with bars top and bottom.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I wouldnt bother to be honest.
There are high spec gfx versions of these but youd need to check if this is one. few were...

the screens are usually great on RM One's but they are behind a very glossy protective bit of glass, great for schools, not so great elsewhere.
but as said above, 16:9 is essential in my opinion

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RM All-In-One Machines0