Linux Migrating Settings
Had XBMCbuntu up and running, configured to my preferences, libraries, etc.

Now built a newer 64-bit system... how can I migrate all my settings/databases/etc over to the newer one? Is it just a case of copying over the .xbmc directory from one user home dir to another?

I noticed some other menu options on my 64-bit system that my older 32-bit XBMCbuntu didn't have... how will those be affected? I presume as my older configs lack a setting for them, they'll be ignored - but wanted to check if there's any differences in config files.
there is no difference in settings between 32 and 64bit, only between xbmc versions. As long as you are migrating from an older xbmc version, you should be fine.

edit: and yes, you just need to copy ~/.xbmc
okay, thanks for that!

As a matter of interest, that would be the implications of migrating to an older version? Would extraneous config entries just be ignored?

Just curious.
yes, but some settings have also changed, so you'd have to go over them and set them correctly again.
While most of what wsnipex said is true, PVR addons will have to be re-installed if you move to a different architecture. If you don't use the PVR feature you don't have to bother with anything, just copy ~/.xbmc like wsnipex said.
If you migrate from an older XBMC version to a newer one, the database will be updated to the new database architecture.

I am not sure that going from new to old will downgrade the database though, so I am unsure what would happen in that case.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-10-16, 00:16)nickr Wrote: If you migrate from an older XBMC version to a newer one, the database will be updated to the new database architecture.

I am not sure that going from new to old will downgrade the database though, so I am unsure what would happen in that case.

It will simply use the old database again so any watched status or whatever will not be transferred back to the old database
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2013-10-15, 22:59)negge Wrote: While most of what wsnipex said is true, PVR addons will have to be re-installed if you move to a different architecture. If you don't use the PVR feature you don't have to bother with anything, just copy ~/.xbmc like wsnipex said.

pvr addons are separate packages on ubuntu and they are not installed in ~/.xbmc
If someone compiles them manually, I'd assume he knows what he is doing.
Okay... firstly I don't use any PVR addons (and wsnipex is right: someone compiling them manually would probably not leave this part of the process to be handled automatically) so that takes care of that part!

I'm unconcerned with having to fix/amend some minor settings, so that's perfectly acceptable. It sounds like the majority of my customisations (differences between stock defaults and new amendments) will be carried over, so that takes care of the majority of my configs, great!

I like the idea of the DBs being seamlessly updated - but does it create new DBs, or actually modify the existing ones (i.e.: leaves them in a non-downgradable state)..?

I guess the worse-case scenario is to simply scrub the ~/.xbmc dir and begin from scratch, but your responses have given me a bit more confidence in attempting the migration this weekend.

Thanks, all!
it will create a new DB and the old one will still be there
Okay, so if I foul up and have to drop back to my 32-bit install, I can determine which files are the older ones and pop those back in place. Neat!

Ta for that info - most useful. It certainly looks like an XBMC dev thought quite a bit about maintainability.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Migrating Settings0