MX3-M Remote? Anyone?
For about two years now, I've been on the lookout for a simple remote to replace the basket of remotes I currently use. The continual problem has been that many remotes simply don't pass the "Guest Test" and have too many tiny buttons to be useful and accessible to people without a lesson. The RF Air Mouse shown years ago was very close to my dream, but sadly was never released.

Today, I stumbled upon a generic remote on eBay that looks very close to what I am looking for: MX3-M 2.4Ghz Wireless Mini Keyboard Air Mouse with Mic & IR Learning Function

Does anyone have any experience with this remote? Or even heard of it? How well does it work as a Air Mouse, HTPC remote, or for IR learning? At $20, I may just dive in, but I thought it best to ask the hive.

Thanks! Big Grin
I've got a similar variant of it, the VMX3, I'm in the process of mapping and testing it and I can tell you that the IR learning feature is't much usable, it didn't worked with about 50% of the devices I've tested.
I recently purchased the same remote as well. Have not had time to map it yet. I would be extremely grateful to anyone that would share their settings.
@trossi,

Please enable XBMC's debug via System settings and press each one of the remote's buttons systematically from left to right, line by line and upload the log somewhere (pastebin).
Before starting to press the remote's buttons, choose a button, let say zero and press it few time so it will mark the starting point, do this at the end also.
There's no need for testing the keyboard side.

Also specify what OS are you running, on what platform (Raspberry Pi, regular pc (i686, x86_64) ...) and which XBMC version.

This will enable us to see what key codes are sent by the remote and whether some of the buttons are not recognized.
I've seen remotes that send really strange key codes, some of these key codes aren't recognized by XBMC and it's a real PITA to solve it.
Thank you for helping out!

My config
- Openelec (OpenELEC Stable - ARCTIC_MC x86_64 3.2)
- XBMC 12.2

Here is my log --> http://pastebin.com/kV9Nb92E

Note .. i didn't press the power or TV keys.
@trossi,

At first glace your log doesn't looks so good.
What we want to find is all the lines that start with "DEBUG: Keyboard", if you look at the log you'll see only the Zero key events, that's no good at all.

Usually even if a key isn't recognizes you still get a keyboard event ("DEBUG: Keyboard") while the "Onkey" value will be null (0) which not shown in your log for some reason (don't confuse with the Onkey values from Lirc, your IR remote).
Of course the best case is getting Onkey values to all the buttons so it will be possible to easily map them in XBMC.

Please post the full debug log, I think you just added the end of the log and removed the wanted info.
I see LIRC (eventlircd) is picking it up under it's "devinput" driver. so you can just use IRW or similar techniques to get all button codes and create an XML file.
I've purchased the exact remote the OP mentions. I didn't have the time to do the custom mappings for the remote. I'm not sure I know how to do it though.

Initial observations, I didn't like the button feedback. It makes the annoying click click noise. I still use the ps3 remote and have a stock pile of batteries. Sad but true.
does some1 know how to disable mouse automatically activated on wakeup from sleep mode.. ?? I always disable it and automaticaly enables on wakeup from sleep mode.. very annoying.. m using android box bdw..

Thanks for your help..
My experience with "Learning" remotes is that they dont put out any signal at all unless you first "Teach" it a code.

It dosent matter what code you "Teach" it but it must be something. Use any and all remotes or a combination. Just make sure all keys have a code.

If your IR receiver does not light up when you press a button then you dont have a code assigned to that button.
I have this same remote and so far with xbmc it is good and will work to map it all but i cannot get it into programing mode for my tv. does anyone have better english instruction? mine said something about pairing my flying squirrel and that didnt work.......Rofl
(2014-05-08, 19:46)DECIPHE Wrote: I have this same remote and so far with xbmc it is good and will work to map it all but i cannot get it into programing mode for my tv. does anyone have better english instruction? mine said something about pairing my flying squirrel and that didnt work.......Rofl

Only the power and 4 colour buttons can be mapped to IR commands. Press and Hold the TV button to enter IR learning mode, point other remote at the MX3 and press the button you want to map, then press the colour button you want to map it to. Repeat for the other commands
(2014-06-14, 09:36)jacksback Wrote:
(2014-05-08, 19:46)DECIPHE Wrote: I have this same remote and so far with xbmc it is good and will work to map it all but i cannot get it into programing mode for my tv. does anyone have better english instruction? mine said something about pairing my flying squirrel and that didnt work.......Rofl

Only the power and 4 colour buttons can be mapped to IR commands. Press and Hold the TV button to enter IR learning mode, point other remote at the MX3 and press the button you want to map, then press the colour button you want to map it to. Repeat for the other commands

how about the other bottons on the remote like fast forward, arrow keys,ok key etc.do they all work out of the box?
@ raymondeast

Quote:how about the other bottons on the remote like fast forward, arrow keys,ok key etc.do they all work out of the box?

Yes! I have just got this remote today and all the keys work as they should out of the box... This is a fantastic remote for any HTPC! Smile

--- EDIT ---

See this thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=203623
Hello guys, do you have a pdf scan of the manual? I lost it, it was so small.... and I would like to have it, thank you very much

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MX3-M Remote? Anyone?0