Coding screensaver
Hello

I have an homeautomation system at home, and it logs status to mysql all the time. I also have an HTPC that is almost always used with XBMC.
I want to write an screensaver for XBMC that shows data from my mysql server. For example living room temperature etc. I could easily do this as an windows application in C#/WPF, but as far as I know, I need to use Python or C++ to make an plugin for XBMC. It is not depending on any XBMC features. Only that it needs to get opened as an screensaver when XBMC is open.

What would be the best approximation for this problem?
To be honest a python screensaver would likely be the best way to go on that one as by the sounds of things all you'd be doing is dropping a bunch of text onto the screen.

You could perhaps start from the slideshow screensaver which will have the outline of what you need.

I'd start by sorting out the fetching of stuff from your db. i.e. create a simple script to replace one of the existing ones, connect to your database, fetch what you need and drop it out to the log.

Once that is working, go for the UI side of things.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Coding screensaver0