Subtitles for stacks
hi,

if i 'disable' the subtitles while watching a stacked movie,
the subs get enabled again when next file on stack is played.

sincerely,
mnc_
i changed the title because technically its not an error. while a stack is a virtual representation of many files, settings are still stored per actual file.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
playing the stack with the "seamless" stacking stuff should fix this.

perhaps we need an easy way to construct the db queries for files that may or may not be in a stack (so that if the user decides to unstack the info for all this stuff is still available).
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

i started doing that but this one is particularly difficult. i guess we could do this:

1) check to see if the item is part of a stack (not sure how we do this though for an item that hasnt been scanned into the db)
2) if part of a stack, get settings from first file in the stack
3) otherwise use defaults
i would just:

1. check if the info for this file is in the db, and if so, use it.
2. check if the info for the stack is in the db, and if so, use it.
3. use defaults.

i don't think adding a bunch of stuff to try and get the first file in the stack from a given filename is really warranted at this point - ideally we can make the seamless stacking work fast enough that playing stacked files one by one is not needed. the check for stacked files in step 2 takes care of the case where users decide to unstack for whatever reason.

if i'm not mistaken, no information for number 2 will exist until the user plays the stack seemlessly. and when the user does play the stack seemlessly, i think that the settings for the stack should be saved per file as each file is played.
correct. in an ideal world the speed of the stack file loading wouldn't be an issue, and thus users would be playing stacks only using this method, thus always having the information present.

i don't really see the point of saving it per-file when it's already saved for the stack - maybe i'm missing something?

cheers
jonathan

hi,

maybe you should store only for the first file of a stack. this avoids redundant data en thus cannot conflict.

sincerely, mnc_
i was thinking that saving the setting per file would speed up the process the next time around since its easier to match an exact filename, than it is to match an individual file to a stack. but, its probably a miniscule speed difference so it likely wouldnt matter.
if its not saved per file what would happen if it was then unstacked would it just use defaults? or the settings you had for the stack?
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
if xbmc cannot find settings for the individual file, it will attempt to match up the file to a stack and use those settings.
(jmarshall @ jan. 24 2006,01:59 Wrote:playing the stack with the "seamless" stacking stuff should fix this.

perhaps we need an easy way to construct the db queries for files that may or may not be in a stack (so that if the user decides to unstack the info for all this stuff is still available).
is this seamless part already present in the current cvs? can it be enabled somehow? or is it not available for testing?
i would really want to give it a test.
yes, seamless playback exists. you need to set the "bypass cd selection" to "immediately" in the video settings. (i forget which page exactly.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Subtitles for stacks0