HTPC upgrade
Hey,

First time on the forum Smile

Searched a bit last nigth for info...but i couldnt find it so i thougth i would ask

Currently planning on upgrading my xmbc ubuntu box which is currently running on this hardware :

Asus p5e deluxe
Core2duo e8600
8gig ram
Radeon HD5450

I have a motherboard that i sent for RMA that i should be getting back really soon.
Its a gigabyte z68x-ud3h-b3.

I cant decide between i3-3240 (140$ CAD on directcanada.ca) or Intel Pentium g2020 (58$ CAD on directcanada.ca)

I dont use this pc for gaming and never will....its hooked up to my tv and its only purpose is to run xbmc ubuntu.

So my real question is is the pentium g2020 powerful hd for 1080p playback ? (i would like to remove the 5450 card Tongue )
Or would i be better off with the i3.

And also is 4gig ram enough ?

Thx for your answers Smile
I'd personally spend the extra and get the i3 (check out how the 3220T/3240T are priced). The G2020 will playback 1080p with no issues, and if money is tight or you just want to experiment, give that a go. 4GB of ram is plenty.

What case/HDD/SSD are you planning on using..?

D.
Its not a real HTPC to be honest dude Tongue its just some old parts put up together to be able to watch movies that i download on tv without having to plug/move anything... Tongue
I download the torrents via remote Utorrent UI. I got it set up to boot ubuntu and immediatly start up XBMC Tongue

Anyways its currently a in a ThermalTake Shark case ...(i know its a big ass case Tongue but that computer used to be my gaming rig and its looks pretty good in my living room even tho its big)
i have no ssds ATM...didnt wanna get one with that old P5E mobo since its sata2 anyways.
HDDs= 2x500gig (1x WD 1x Seagate) and a 2TB WD.

Money is not really an issue..but you know the less I pay...the better
But i could buy a SSD along with the G2020...and ill skip the ssd if i decide to go with the i3 as my budget is around 150$ for the "upgrade"
I can get 4gb kvr for around 40$ from a friend here. so that would leave me with around 110-120$ for cpu or cpu/ssd... Smile
I dont plan on changing anything but the CPU/MOBO/RAM and maybe get ssd depending on the cpu I buy as mentionned above.

Anyways thx for your input Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC upgrade0