• 70(current)
RaspBMC Kodi/XBMC test builds
(2014-03-29, 18:25)Mafarricos Wrote: You are speaking of hddvd sample, correct? As Matrix sample played OK, but only with some artefacts in some parts.

I'm referring to the linked matrix sample.
It will still play, as most frames don't use the warppoints and will appear correct, but you will get artefacts when they are used.

The VC1 sample you reported obviously needs the VC1 codec. It will play if you buy that.
As promised, here are the specifics of the stuttering problem I mentioned yesterday. I've seen this weird stuttering sporadically on streamed video ever since I started running the Gotham beta's on the Pi (I checked back and reproduced it on March 23 but didn't verify any earlier) - and I suspect it occurs with videos with "glitches" in them that are perhaps poorly edited together or have some corrupted/missing frames, but this is the first time I've found one of my own local files to have the problem so that I can easily reproduce it.

First, here's two examples of what it looks like: (I didn't upload them to youtube as they'll probably get blocked for copyright reasons even though short clips should be "fair use"...also I didn't want youtube doing any processing or frame rate conversion on them. Download for best video quality)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ixnz1tsyjrqycay/IMG_0665.MOV

https://www.dropbox.com/s/13563by7df84lh3/IMG_0666.MOV

On this particular video the symptoms are triggered by large forward jumps (10 minutes) and the first and second large jump from the beginning of the file will reproduce it. The above videos are shortly after two jumps forwards.

If I use many small (30 second) jumps from the beginning of the video to same point in the video, it plays fine. Here is an example of the second section of video reached via lots of small jumps instead of two large ones, and it can be seen playback is perfect:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pq3gnchz3h4r06h/IMG_0667.MOV

Also if I skip further into the video playback synchronises properly and I can then skip back to the same place and playback is perfect. Here is a debug log taken during playback. It's a fairly clean .xbmc folder to minimise any outside influences. In the debug log I started playback of the video then skipped +10 minutes twice then let it play for a little while while it was stuttering:

http://pastebin.com/0Lc3kVe7

Here's a mediainfo on the file:

Code:
* * * MediaInfo Mac 0.7.36.0 file analysis report.
* * * MediaInfo Mac is ©2010 by Diego Massanti - http://mediainfo.massanti.com
* * * MediaInfoLib by Jerome Martinez - http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net
Created on: 29 Mar 2014 16:47:12 GMT
Report for file: 2001 A Space Odyssey (1968).mp4

General / Container Stream #1
    Total Video Streams for this File.................1
    Total Audio Streams for this File.................1
    Video Codecs Used.................................AVC
    Audio Codecs Used.................................AAC LC-SBR
    File Format.......................................MPEG-4
    Play Time.........................................2h 28mn
    Total File Size...................................854 MiB
    Total Stream BitRate..............................802 Kbps
Video Stream #1
    Codec (Human Name)................................AVC
    Codec (FourCC)....................................avc1
    Codec [email protected]
    Frame Width.......................................1 280 pixels
    Frame Height......................................576 pixels
    Frame Rate........................................23.976 fps
    Total Frames......................................214145
    Display Aspect Ratio..............................2.222
    Scan Type.........................................Progressive
    Color Space.......................................YUV
    Codec Settings (Summary)..........................CABAC / 5 Ref Frames
    QF (like Gordian Knot)............................0.042
    Codec Settings (CABAC)............................Yes
    Codec Settings (Reference Frames).................5
    Video Stream Length...............................2h 28mn 51s 631ms
    Video Stream BitRate..............................735 Kbps
    Video Stream BitRate Mode.........................VBR
    Bit Depth.........................................8 bits
    Video Stream Size.................................782 MiB (92%)
    Video Encoder.....................................x264 - core 116 r2074 2641b9e
    Video Encoder (Settings)..........................cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:-2:-1 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=8 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=50 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=735 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
    Date of Original Encoding.........................UTC 2011-12-26 13:47:23
Audio Stream #1
    Codec.............................................AAC
    Codec (FourCC)....................................40
    Audio Stream Length...............................2h 28mn 51s 755ms
    Audio Stream BitRate..............................64.0 Kbps
    Audio Stream BitRate Mode.........................VBR
    Number of Audio Channels..........................2
    Audio Channel's Positions.........................Front: L R
    Sampling Rate.....................................48.0 KHz
    Audio Stream Size.................................68.1 MiB (8%)
    Date of Original Encoding.........................UTC 2011-12-26 13:47:43

Some further observations - it's not related to display refresh rate, I've tried 24, 50, and 60Hz and with adjust refresh rate to match on and off. It doesn't happen if I switch back to the stable version of Frodo that comes with Raspbmc. It doesn't happen on Gotham Beta 2 on my Mac. The same problem happens on both an HDMI TV and a DVI PC monitor. It doesn't matter where the file is played from - in the above example it was playing directly from SD card. A random sampling of my movie collection didn't show any other files exhibiting the same problem.
Kodi 18.3 - Mid 2007 Mac Mini, 4GB, 2TB HD, Windows 7 SP1
Kodi 18.3 - Vero4k, Raspberry Pi 2. OSMC.
(2014-03-29, 19:33)DBMandrake Wrote: First, here's two examples of what it looks like: (I didn't upload them to youtube as they'll probably get blocked for copyright reasons even though short clips should be "fair use"...also I didn't want youtube doing any processing or frame rate conversion on them. Download for best video quality)

What I'd really like is the source file you are playing on the Pi (ideally cut it down to a smaller size, assuming that fails) so I can investigate the stutter on my Pi.
Explain exactly what you do to get the stutter (e.g. play for 10 seconds, then press big step forward twice rapidly).
(2014-03-29, 19:58)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-03-29, 19:33)DBMandrake Wrote: First, here's two examples of what it looks like: (I didn't upload them to youtube as they'll probably get blocked for copyright reasons even though short clips should be "fair use"...also I didn't want youtube doing any processing or frame rate conversion on them. Download for best video quality)

What I'd really like is the source file you are playing on the Pi (ideally cut it down to a smaller size, assuming that fails) so I can investigate the stutter on my Pi.
What's the best tool to cut it down to a shorter sample ? (Mac or Windows, Mac preferred, as that's where the files are hosted and is the faster machine)

I'm not sure that an edited version of the file will show the same symptoms given the nature of the problem but I will give it a try.
Quote:Explain exactly what you do to get the stutter (e.g. play for 10 seconds, then press big step forward twice rapidly).
In the example I showed I just start playback at the beginning of the file then jump forward twice. Doesn't matter if I wait a few seconds or not, and the problem is there after the first jump too, its just there isn't much movement in that part of the movie. (Just scenery and tigers lying in the sun Tongue )

If I start playback further in then use reverse jumps to get back to (almost) the beginning then jump forward it doesn't seem to happen. It seems to be loosing synchronisation when performing certain size jumps across certain regions. If I use large jumps further into the video it rights itself again.
(2014-03-29, 20:02)DBMandrake Wrote: What's the best tool to cut it down to a shorter sample ? (Mac or Windows, Mac preferred, as that's where the files are hosted and is the faster machine)

I'd suggest mp4box gui (http://my-mp4box-gui.zymichost.com/). It runs on windows.
It should be quick, as this won't re-encode the file, so should only take a minute.
(2014-03-29, 18:33)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-03-29, 18:25)Mafarricos Wrote: You are speaking of hddvd sample, correct? As Matrix sample played OK, but only with some artefacts in some parts.

I'm referring to the linked matrix sample.
It will still play, as most frames don't use the warppoints and will appear correct, but you will get artefacts when they are used.

The VC1 sample you reported obviously needs the VC1 codec. It will play if you buy that.

Right, sorry for didn't notice that, vc1 and mpeg2 need licence.
Thanks for explanation Wink

And about this one:
http://distribution.bbb3d.renderfarming....normal.mp4

Is too much for RPI?
With 30fps and 24fps versions work OK.
60fps version lags audio and image.

I'm trying to test the max limits Wink
(2014-03-29, 19:58)popcornmix Wrote: What I'd really like is the source file you are playing on the Pi (ideally cut it down to a smaller size, assuming that fails) so I can investigate the stutter on my Pi.
Explain exactly what you do to get the stutter (e.g. play for 10 seconds, then press big step forward twice rapidly).
Sample video PM'ed.
(2014-03-29, 21:12)DBMandrake Wrote: Sample video PM'ed.

Thanks. Found the problem. Will be fixed in next firmware update.
(2014-03-29, 21:55)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-03-29, 21:12)DBMandrake Wrote: Sample video PM'ed.

Thanks. Found the problem. Will be fixed in next firmware update.
Wow, talk about quick. Smile

I'm curious, was there actual corruption or poor encoding in the file that just wasn't handled as gracefully as it could have been, or was it an actual bug that just isn't triggered by most files ?

Also interesting that the problem is in the firmware when it worked ok in Frodo on the same firmware. (I guess later versions of the player utilise the firmware differently ?)
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to get DD and DTS passthrough using an external USB DAC using this: USB DAC PCM2704. My config is Raspberry Pi -> USB DAC -> Logitech Z5500. I already tested it with my desktop pc and it works, it sends DTS and DD to logitech speakers, but when I try to use with the RPi, it appears that the data is not correctly sent to the speakers because the lcd screen of the speakers switch between Detecting... and dts Digital or DD.
I had to add this to the advancedsettings.xml to force to send the sound to the USB DAC because it was ignoring the GUI settings
Code:
<audiooutput>
        <audiodevice>ALSA:iec958:CARD=DAC,DEV=0</audiodevice>
</audiooutput>

Any idea?

Thanks a lot.
(2014-03-29, 22:17)DBMandrake Wrote: I'm curious, was there actual corruption or poor encoding in the file that just wasn't handled as gracefully as it could have been, or was it an actual bug that just isn't triggered by most files ?

Also interesting that the problem is in the firmware when it worked ok in Frodo on the same firmware. (I guess later versions of the player utilise the firmware differently ?)

The file has no B frames which is fairly unusual. It meant the statistics to determine whether time stamps should be reordered or not (code that is not in Frodo) were very close and could end up oscillating after a bump (i.e. a seek).
Updated Gotham build, XBMC master from Mar 30 + newclock3 commits.

Some info:
• Master: Several fixes and updates
• NC3: Only need a confirmation dialogue when resolution has actually changed
• NC3: [paplayer] Use position based seeks for ffmpeg demuxer
• NC3: Fix leaks in the failure handling of jpeg decode to texture
• NC3: [omxplayer] Add ability to choose different scaling kernels through OSD, see below

Firmware from March 30 included:
• Fix for video stutter after seek on streams without b frames
• Add gencmd for setting the current scaling kernel, see below

Additional info and testing (DVDPlayer etc.), see post #1

To install XBMC build, SSH to Pi:
Code:
wget -O xbmc-13-20140330-nc3.tar.gz http://goo.gl/5CINQa --no-check-certificate
pv xbmc-13-20140330-nc3.tar.gz | tar xzf - -C /home/pi/.upgrade
sudo cp /home/pi/.upgrade/xbmc-13-20140330-nc3/{fixup_x.dat,start_x.elf} /boot
ln -sfn /home/pi/.upgrade/xbmc-13-20140330-nc3/xbmc-bcm /home/pi/.xbmc-current
sudo reboot

Some words from popcornmix:
Quote:The Pi has some quite advanced scaling hardware which is able to do higher quality scaling than other ARM (and probably most PC) boxes.

I've added an API to the firmware where the scaling kernel (a 32 tap filter) can be controlled.
I've hooked that into the sharpness control on the video OSD.
I've used the sharpness control for now as that gives an unobtrusive slider at the top of screen, rather than the scaling method drop down which obscures most of the screen.

Basically sharpness=0 uses the default scaling kernel (Sinc over the range +-3*PI with Hamming window applied).
Each click to the right of that uses a different kernel. I've implemented 9 kernels. Try them and report what you prefer.

Some suggestions:
It's probably best to pause the video when there is some detail visible (like text) to see the effect.
Don't try it when video is 1080p and display is 1080p or you won't see anything. It's more interesting when playing SD content on a HD display
It's not magic. The kernels are a compromise between sharpening (producing more detail, but increasing noise) and blurring (hides the noise and the detail).
The best option for SD video may be different to the best option for 720p.

If anyone is curious and especially if they know about image scaling, then you can see the current kernel with:
Code:
vcgencmd scaling_kernel
scaling_kernel=-2 -3 -4 -4 -3 1 9 22 40 64 90 118 145 169 186 196 196 186 169 145 118 90 64 40 22 9 1 -3 -4 -4 -3 -2   0

and set it with a similar command. The first 32 numbers are the filter coefficients. The last is whether coefficients interpolation is disabled.
(it should be 0 unless doing a nearest-neighbour type kernel).
(2014-03-28, 00:54)miappa Wrote: Updated Gotham build, XBMC master from Mar 27 + newclock3 commits.

Some info:
• Master: [shairplay] Fix password protection & socket race condition (updated libraries included)
• Master: Some PVR fixes
• NC3: [PiSink] Analogue only supports stereo
• NC3: [PiResample] Work around AE not providing correct src_bits

Firmware from March 27 included

Additional info and testing (DVDPlayer etc.), see post #1

To install XBMC build, SSH to Pi:
Code:
wget -O xbmc-13-20140327-nc3.tar.gz http://goo.gl/AWsyRh --no-check-certificate
pv xbmc-13-20140327-nc3.tar.gz | tar xzf - -C /home/pi/.upgrade
sudo cp /home/pi/.upgrade/xbmc-13-20140327-nc3/{fixup_x.dat,start_x.elf} /boot
ln -sfn /home/pi/.upgrade/xbmc-13-20140327-nc3/xbmc-bcm /home/pi/.xbmc-current
sudo reboot
Hi,

Apologies if I'm being stupid but I can't find the answer by searching.
When I try the nightly the update goes perfectly but do I need to redetect all my media again?
In the previous release I have a folder of TV and another of movies. I add things daily and click the options/update to rescan the media. This will then check against tvdb or imdb and add to the list.
When I update to gotham this doesn't seem to work. Is the database different or in a different place? Do I just need to add the locations again and do a full scan?
Thanks for any help.
-Mat
If you mean that you don´t have the option in Context Menu in Library mode, yes it has been moved. Other than that it is the same except for fixes etc.
It is actually somewhat skin dependent, but Confluence (and probably most other skins) will have it in the side menu in library.
You probably want to use a skin that supports Gotham (like stock Confluence).

Or did you mean something else?

F.Y.I Gotham use a new updated database but it should update and include everything such as scanned libraries etc. It will however not work the other way around i.e. media you add to Gotham will not be added in Frodo if you switch back.
(2014-03-30, 22:10)miappa Wrote: If you mean that you don´t have the option in Context Menu in Library mode, yes it has been moved. Other than that it is the same except for fixes etc.
It is actually somewhat skin dependent, but Confluence (and probably most other skins) will have it in the side menu in library.
You probably want to use a skin that supports Gotham (like stock Confluence).

Or did you mean something else?

F.Y.I Gotham use a new updated database but it should update and include everything such as scanned libraries etc. It will however not work the other way around i.e. media you add to Gotham will not be added in Frodo if you switch back.

That's perfect thanks. I did mean that the update didn't seem to work since I was using scan for new content. Moving the update library option to the side menu is a good idea. Easy to find. I just don't think to look there.

Thanks for the info on the library too. Of this works I hope to not switch back [WHITE SMILING FACE]
  • 70(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RaspBMC Kodi/XBMC test builds15