New HTPC Build Incl RAID 1 3.5"s
Great forum, have done a lot of reading but sorry still bit unsure.

Long time Debian user.

Currently have an old Debian Intel p4 NAS box with a couple RAID 1 2TB's, PS3 Media Server, (xbmc video not supported), but it has a dying PSU and I need to replace it.
I've had external USB HDD's connected to a laptop but hate the complications and problems with HDD's on permanent USB interface.

So am looking for a small HTPC setup that will go in a cupboard. Might as well do Full 3D video. I have a HDMI cable going from there to the TV.
Definitely keen on Intel for linux video driver support and will probably run xbmc on top of Debian rather than xbmc/ubuntu. Always prefer vanilla debian + pkg to ubuntu variations.

Only thing different is most of the people on here seem to run a separate NAS. I don't wish to.
I personally prefer the software RAID in Debian vs Hardware RAID offerings. As never been a problem when rebuilding or moving to bigger drives, completely different box but keeping drives, etc. This may not be an issue anymore, but I'll stick wiith what I know. Smile

1. From what have read am keen on Intel Haswell i3-4130? plus appropriate mobo (ASROCK H87M? B85M? Intel DB85FL?) + case
  2. Doesn't need to be dead quiet as in cupboard
  3. Wifi Support (dual band ac)?
  4. WoL would be wonderful, but not essential.
  5. Can run IR over Ethernet if required, have usb/bluetooth key/mouse
  6. Better to use Pico PSU?
  7. Hadn't intended to run any heavy games or discrete GPU progs/games
Any suggestions for motherboard and case or other? Thank you very much, I should have done this ages ago~
i3 seems like overkill for a HTPC/NAS box, assuming your video card decodes on playback and you're not doing anything else with it (no transcoding, games). Ivy bridge Celeron will save you a few bucks.

The size of your cabinet will limit the case size. You said "small", but didn't specify dimensions. Since it's in a cupboard and you don't have to look at it or hear it, I would cut costs by getting the cheapest mATX case and a decent standard-sized efficient PSU plus a couple of case fans, 80-120mm Likely need a separate WLAN card, especially since you want dual band AC, not sure how many mobos are out there with that integrated at this point. Edit: found one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813157374
Thanks trent33. Good looking board!
I'm sorry as may have wasted your time.
I ended up going into a shop and had a look at different cases and mobos. Agree for a cupboard the mATX was definitely providing all the options and cheaper.

However I got swayed by the small HTPC cases and ended up with a Gigabyte GA-H87N-WIFI and tiny Inwin 656? case.
Still put the i3 in it... ahhh...
I've mounted my 3.5" drives outside the case in their own box (old ATX PSU gutted and retrofitted with ATX case HDD caddy). The SATA cables and power cables come out the Inwin case and into the drives. It's a bit rough but when the HDD's die one by one I'll either go to 2.5" drives or NAS+SSD.
I picked up N wifi but no dual band AC support. If it moves away from the router and goes wireless I'll worry about it then.
Got dual NIC's which I have used in the past. Plus dual HDMI so I could run it to a second bedroom TV if required.
Takes some of the worry about forgetting to turn it off and chewing power this way too.

Thinking about it, I regret fitting the Intel fan with stock heat sink paste/strips on it... Might change that out soon.

64bit Debian installing now after it booted the HDD's up with the old 32bit install (so I could grab some conf files).
(2013-10-20, 06:45)suberimakuri Wrote: I've mounted my 3.5" drives outside the case in their own box (old ATX PSU gutted and retrofitted with ATX case HDD caddy).

I've never heard of that. Great idea! What HDD caddy did you use?
heh, I literally cut the metal 4x3.5" bay (not caddy sorry) and the plastic quick release out of the ATX case with a hacksaw.
The sizing was pretty good that I could cable tie it into the ATX PSU.
It was just something to cover the HDD's and bring up off the wooden shelf but they are in a protected spot.

I wanted to use two old USB HDD caddy's but couldn't find them at the time, that would be cleaner, just gut the USB controller out and run SATA straight in.I may still do this.
LOL that is awesome. Well done! Please post pics if you can Smile
thank you, don't think photo coming though.. pretty average looking haha.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New HTPC Build Incl RAID 1 3.5"s0