What is the Best Box to go With?
I was looking for the last two months reading about ever box, I am looking for a nice box to hook up to my t.v and run XBMC

I was looking at Midnight,Pivos
Is there a New Box coming out? bc i was reading on this site some people said there is a new box coming out?

What do you guys use? I really dont want to use a computer

thanks
bubba
amlogic quad core, but this year can not be ok.....donot know when willbe out
Pivos have a new box coming according to their forums so I would hold out for that to see what it is at least.

Also with Google TV getting the boot in favour of Android TV official from Google themselves, I would wait and see whats coming as seeing they run Android 4.2 such devices can now run XBMC though though how well they do remains to be seen.

So basically there are lots of new things on the horizon.
thanks guys...I knew there was a new box coming out that was back in may..i though it would be here by now by now..what are you guys using?
Wait for the new Pivos.......it will be totally worth it. The current one is top notch and the coming improvements can only add to an already great package.
(2013-10-22, 01:43)Scott00007 Wrote: Wait for the new Pivos.......it will be totally worth it. The current one is top notch and the coming improvements can only add to an already great package.

Thank..I hope soon..I use to run xbmc from my laptop and i don't want to use it anymore..i want to get a little box..hehe
did anyone see pictures of the new box, or what is in it?
We are all waiting for the new box. The current one runs fantastic so no matter what the exact spec's are it will be awesome....Check the Pivos website for the most up to date info.

Plus, the forum will blow up once a new one is announced....you won't have to try hard to find out.
purchased a rk3188 quad core but no custom rom or linux build as yet.
think Im gonna get another raspberry pi in the mean time as its working just fine
I have a G-box Midnight MX2. They have their own custom XBMC (I believe they use some Pivos code for hardware decoding) and the hardware specs are somewhat better than current Pivos box. These two reasons combined are why I went the G-box route instead of Pivos or a generic box. Development for both firmware and their custom XBMC is progressing at a rapid pace (true 1080p display is in testing and expected to be released very soon). On the downside, this rapid pace and relase of not fully tested software has led to a fair amount of issues as well. It also may be worth noting that the MX2 comes rooted (not a consideration for me).

If I had to buy another Android box for XBMC today, I'd still go with the G-box MX2. When the new Pivos box is released supposedly by the end of the year I'm confident it will be the best option. My personal recommendation would be to wait for the next Pivos.

Hopefully in the not so distant future XBMC will be a standard Google Play item including hardware decoding for common devices.

I really want the Ouya to be a great option, but every time I look into it I find a couple issues (no 5.1 surround for DTS or AC3 now?).
I'm considering the ouya also. Gotham 13 seems around the corner for it just. The quad core I have is stuttering all over. So it's no good and I don't expect any workaround soon. Don't need surround for ouya but might look into a gbox too
The j1nx firmware seems to be very stable. Are all the midnight boxes the same?
If you want cheap gaming to go along with XBMC and you don't need surround sound, the Ouya seems hard to beat. If you want a generic Android box that's more media oriented - go with the MX2. You can choose to boot into XBMC, Netflix is one of the included apps (no side-loading), full play store for Xfinity or whatever other apps you want to install, and it comes with a decent media remote instead of a game controller.

Still, if you can hold off for a month or two I really think the new Pivos is going to leap-frog the MX2 and I believe Pivos is in the best position for XBMC support.

Not sure what your question is about all the midnight boxes being the same. They have their old line and the newer MX2 boxes. I don't know anything about the older boxes other than they are single core and I'm pretty sure they are not firmware compatible.

I have an MX2, but take everything I say about other options with a grain of salt. I've looked into them, but no first hand experience.
(2013-10-24, 03:30)skeptic Wrote: Not sure what your question is about all the midnight boxes being the same. They have their old line and the newer MX2 boxes. I don't know anything about the older boxes other than they are single core and I'm pretty sure they are not firmware compatible.

Referring to clones and rip offs. I am led to believe that there are boxes being sold as g midnight boxes.

There are obvious differences between these boxes cosmetically
http://www.amazon.co.uk/G-Box-Midnight-M...g+midnight
and
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Android-Jelly-Be...ords=g+box
especially read the review

at least this one markets itself as a clone and doesn't pretend to be a g box -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/DroidBOX-iMX6-An...ords=g+box

but there are numerous on ebay also
maybe its just the cosmetics of MX2 on the top which discerns them.
Ah, gotcha. In theory if they have identical hardware then you should be able to use the genuine g-box firmware and be good to go. Honestly though, these boxes are so cheap in the first place, and the price difference is small enough that I wouldn't bother with a clone. Even at £100 vs £62 I'd buy from the company supporting the box with their own developers. I know I know, they are using Pivos code for some stuff, but they do have a dev team and they are doing work themselves tweaking and compiling and fixing things.

One last thing I forgot to point out. I use MythTV as my PVR back end for the mpeg2 cable broadcasts. Currently there is a known issue that causes the audio and video to go out of sync. I don't know if this is strictly MythTV PVR related, if it's any mpeg2, if it's only 720p mpeg2 TV streams or what but if you need PVR capability you should check into it. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it's resolved, but if this affects you and you get stuck waiting for a fix you may as well wait for the new Pivos. I have an Android tablet running XBMC and it does NOT have this out of sync issue.

I know this all sounds wishy-washy. I start by saying the MX2 is pretty good (and it is), then point out a few issues and say wait for something better.. I really think it comes down to a couple things. XBMC on android is still new and bugs are still being worked out, although things seem to be improving weekly or monthly. Hardware specs are adequate, but still in the "faster would be better" realm. I have my MX2 on one TV and a dual core Celeron mini-PC HTPC running XBMCbuntu on another. On the HTPC I long for easy Netflix integration (I'm running Netflix on other linux boxes, but I can't get it going on this box), Xfinity client (browser is just not as convenient for a HTPC), etc. On the MX2 some of my TV recordings play out of sync which is REALLY annoying, and where the HTPC is fast and smooth this box just isn't.

Right now there is no perfect setup, choose which imperfections you want to live with.
I just want to get a Box, Im going to hook it up and run xbmc and plug in my Hdd..I wont do NUS or anything..
I am still reading viewers of Pivos and MX2,
Maybe i should go with MX2 and when the time comes i will get the new Pivos...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What is the Best Box to go With?0